Yikes throttle flap freezing open!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yikes throttle flap freezing open!!!

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
in cold weather ( -10 c ) and the vehicle's engine ('87 2.9 V6) has warmed up once I start driving the throttle flap sticks/freezes open ( revving the engine up to 3500-4500rpm depending on how wide open it is frozen..making driving on icy road a real treat). I believe it is from the cold air rushing in from outside meeting the warm air inside the engine compartment causing condensation then subsequent freezing. (when the air coming in is super cold). Any ideas of how to prevent this/solutions. I have a grill cover pad that may help?
Any ideas out there?
thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you lubed the linkage and springs lately?

no...but will do so...
thanks.

Also, what if you rigged your air intake to draw air from under the hood rather than outside? At least for the winter.
(-10C. :eek: )

It's a common problem here in michigan this time of year, it could also be a dirty throttle body interior - unburned fuel turns into a tar like substance. Here in the shop we actually use a tooth brush and carb cleaner on some of them.

I will check that as well...it hit -38 c this morning at 8:00 am!!! (but it's a dry cold..hahaha)

So, problem fixed?

best fix is to move somewhere warm. I was working a month ago in north dakota 35 below and blowing that sucked.

getting warmer

I lubed the linkage and the weather has warmed up so I haven't had the same problem again (yet). When I get some more time I will take apart the throttle body interior and give it a clean...
thanks for the input guys...

STP makes a TB cleaner that is safe for the coated Ford TB. Spray it, toothbrush it, spray it again & your good to go. Takes longer to take the air tube off & on than to clean the TB.

Back