YoungMounty's '97 Mountaineer SAS Build Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

YoungMounty's '97 Mountaineer SAS Build Thread

Okay, I just bought my front axle and figured I could start this thread up.

She needs some cleaning:
F9B-F089D0FAD63B-4592-00000149F9884DAB_zps1b1e9c07.jpg

0FC-5734E3078B9C-4592-00000149F62A76B5_zps781eef04.jpg

3Le3I43J35H45Ma5J9d1p306dc59f4421193c_zpscaa4ad9e.jpg

3G43La3of5L15Nc5Ead1p8dd1dace500d19d4_zpsc5c834bf.jpg

3Ee3I73H35E45Ha5Mdd1p391b74edfd1f17e4_zps2ae73a42.jpg

3E93L63Jb5I25E65J5d1p1c4e8e9b31a81b36_zps5be6feae.jpg

1977 High Pinion 44 without the cast wedges.
5x5.5 lug pattern
Already set up for disc brakes! :D
Carrier is very clean
3.50 gears, for now
Complete steering

This will get 4.56 gears and run 35" tires, most likely Duratracs.

I won't get to start on this project right away but had to jump on this when I saw it. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll start the tear down and clean up soon, gonna run it through the quarter wash first. Pics will follow, as always.

Input and advice is greatly appreciated. This is the biggest project I've ever done but I have plenty of resources at my disposal: friends, shop, explorerforum :D

I guess I get to start ordering parts now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's out of a '97 ?

Oops. Typo man. 1977 Ford truck. Edit incoming.

Lol it's cool. Can't wait to see progress pictures and parts you use. I'm searching for a set of axles myself. Missed out on a set of Dana 60's last summer, they were rebuilt hub to hub, locked and geared with 4.56 gears for a grand. Didn't have the money at the time and I'm kicking myself for not working a deal out with the guy for payments or something. Oh well, the search continues.

From what I have researched the steering box is the hardest part of this conversion. The PO that did mine used a Toyota PS box. It fits well, has good power and works great. Check out my regestry for the details.

I will be watching you!

BTW, you lucked out with your year (97). You have the speed sensor in the transfer case so you are wide open in your choices for the rear axle. 98 and newer the computer is fed from the sensor on the rear axle so your new axle (if you go full width) would also have to have the sensor.

subscribing, I want to see where this goes.

Lol it's cool. Can't wait to see progress pictures and parts you use. I'm searching for a set of axles myself. Missed out on a set of Dana 60's last summer, they were rebuilt hub to hub, locked and geared with 4.56 gears for a grand. Didn't have the money at the time and I'm kicking myself for not working a deal out with the guy for payments or something. Oh well, the search continues.

Aww man, that's a bummer but you'll find something. The tear down might start today. Depends on the weather. Wanting to get a parts list together soon.

From what I have researched the steering box is the hardest part of this conversion. The PO that did mine used a Toyota PS box. It fits well, has good power and works great. Check out my regestry for the details.

I will be watching you!

BTW, you lucked out with your year (97). You have the speed sensor in the transfer case so you are wide open in your choices for the rear axle. 98 and newer the computer is fed from the sensor on the rear axle so your new axle (if you go full width) would also have to have the sensor.

I'm definitely considering all manner of steering at this point. And that does sound lucky about the speed sensor. I love this truck!

subscribing, I want to see where this goes.

I got my axle from you right?

Oh, look at all the rusty stuff just itching to be powdercoated toxic green!!! And purple--gotta have some purple!!

I was thinking red, but green is always an option too. Just another thing on my list to consider.

The 44 is almost completely broken down except for the pinion gear. After I get that out we should be good to go on sanding and painting.

Broken down completely with a little cleaning

PhotoJun05103450PM_zpse26a2fb8.jpg

PhotoJun05103446PM_zps03df5e8b.jpg

Anybody got any good rebuild links? I've read tons, other input/insights are helpful as well.

All parts have been sandblasted.

PhotoJun12120753PM_zpsda48b6b7.jpg

PhotoJun1324238PM_zps1a4036f9.jpg

PhotoJun1324248PM_zpsf7dce05c.jpg

PhotoJun1324304PM_zpsc911c10a.jpg

It's time to get this thing started back up and first I need a good rebuild kit. I need every seal, bearing, ball joint, etc. I'm thinking about this one bronco graveyard and getting the ball joints and hubs separately. What else will I need besides gears? Does that kit look good? Opinions?

when you put it together, could you be a champ and do a step by step guide to rebuilding it? I bought mine already torn down and I have NO CLUE whatsoever on how to get it back together...

Si

Back