Your actual mileage may vary?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your actual mileage may vary??

Audioi

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
What type of Gas mileage are you getting with your 2011 Ford Explorer AWD?
Please post:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

18-19 daily. Taking a trip this week, so will let you know highway later.

20-21 MPG's at highway speeds....65-70MPH. I'm happy. :)

Just over 2,800 miles.
Changed oil at 1,000 miles.
Full synthetic 5W20.

Around town 18-19, on the highway 21-23. I have an AWD vehicle with the tow package.

I am just under 200 miles. All but 20-25 are city (ish) driving. I am at 20.3 MPG.

VERY pleased so far. My 08 got 18 or so in the same conditions.

haven't been on a road trip yet only 13 to 30 milers, at 1100 miles were still at 19.4 to 19.6.

I live in a downtown environment with lots of hills. 14-15mpg around town. No hwy driving to speak of. Just took my first road trip over the mountains. Got 20mpg exactly with 4 people in the car and a rocket box on top. On flat hwy it looks like about 22-23 is feasible with less people and no box on top. Somewhat disappointed in the city mileage...was hoping for 17.

That sounds very low. I live in similar conditions further north (Seattle) and am getting 18.6 overall. Just checking specific city trips I am averaging over 17 and I am not being particularly fuel conscious. Mine is AWD XLT.

-AstroRex

I live in a downtown environment with lots of hills. 14-15mpg around town. No hwy driving to speak of. Just took my first road trip over the mountains. Got 20mpg exactly with 4 people in the car and a rocket box on top. On flat hwy it looks like about 22-23 is feasible with less people and no box on top. Somewhat disappointed in the city mileage...was hoping for 17.

Thanks for the input so far.
Looked one over really good last night. Pretty impressive for a US product.

I traveled from Huntsville, AL to Bristol TN for the NASCAR race. Had 900 miles when I left & was a 700 trip. I averaged 24 MPG for my whole trip & that included a little "around town" driving.

I'm just over 1100 miles now, filled up 4-5 times. First fill-up was all city driving, was getting 16mpg in cold weather. Second and third fill-ups had a mix of city and highway and got 17mpg. My last fill-up was mostly flat interstate traveling west at 70-80mph with strong winds from the north (so blowing me sideways) and I was able to get 19mpg. Haven't broken 20mpg just yet.

Has anyone reset their indicated mileage on fillups and compared that to calculated mileage? I'm curious how accurate it is.

I use a program called aCar for my droid and the mileage is pretty close to what the explorer is calculating.

I was rolling at 70 mph for a couple hours this morning and got 23. After lunch, ran into a 30mph headwind and it dropped to 17-18. Average for the day was 20.

Thanks for the info- nice to see real-world numbers.

If possible for future posts, please let us know if you are running Summer or Winter gas. I see a definite drop in mpg on Winter gas here in Michigan.

Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info- nice to see real-world numbers.

If possible for future posts, please let us know if you are running Summer or Winter gas. I see a definite drop in mpg on Winter gas here in Michigan.

Thanks again.

Also mention if FWD or 4x4.

Back