Your actual mileage may vary?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your actual mileage may vary??

Has anyone reset their indicated mileage on fillups and compared that to calculated mileage? I'm curious how accurate it is.

It's pretty close. Sometimes less than +/-0.5 MPG. Other times just slightly greater than +/-1 MPG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm on my 3rd full tank (after dealer fill-up) and I've averaged 19.26 and 18.12 MPG on my first two tanks. So far on my current tank 150 miles in, I'm averaging right around 20 MPG. I've noticed the computer is lower than my actual numbers by about .25 MPG.

Hi,
Canada here. New Brunswick. Have about 5500 km so roughly 3500 miles. Averaging 12.7 litres per 100 km. 75 percent city driving. Winter gas, Very cold conditions. Works out to be 18.498309215387852 mpg. Wife drives it mostly and she has a very heavy foot. Quick take offs and abrupt stops.

4WD Limited. Tuxedo Black. Boy is it a sweet ride.

Wish the gas tank was larger. Oh well.

Hi,
Canada here. New Brunswick. Have about 5500 km so roughly 3500 miles. Averaging 12.7 litres per 100 km. 75 percent city driving. Winter gas, Very cold conditions. Works out to be 18.498309215387852 mpg. Wife drives it mostly and she has a very heavy foot. Quick take offs and abrupt stops.

4WD Limited. Tuxedo Black. Boy is it a sweet ride.

Wish the gas tank was larger. Oh well.

I have the same wife as you & she gets the same mileage.:D

Down to 12.4 Litres/100km(19MPG), and thats in the city. Going on a 5 hour highway trip this wknd. Will update MPG when I get back.

12-15 city going on a trip next week if it doesn't go way up it is going back, with all the other repairs....

One thing to keep in mind when reading people's mileage on here is that there is a difference between a Canadian Gallon and a US gallon, which obviously will skew the mpg's. One US Gallon=0.83267 Canadian Gallons.

AWD, Limited, about 400 miles so far.
City: 19-20 MPG
Highway: 22-23 MPG...although strict highway driving (i.e. no traffic, few stops, offramps, etc.) has yielded 25+ mpg.
Mostly warm weather driving (spring in Atlanta area).

Limited AWD
954 miles
80% highway 20% city
Avg 22.5 mpg so far

FWD XLT, 95% of my driving is highway, no equipment or anything dragging my ex down, driving by myself, and the panel says I average 14.2 MPG.

Am I doing something wrong? How is everyone else getting so much better mileage, especially with AWD?

Is there a dark cloud over yours? That really stinks.

I cannot help but wonder how it would do if they offered the 5.0 that the mustang uses. I am getting an pretty easy 24 from the 5.0

FWD XLT, 95% of my driving is highway, no equipment or anything dragging my ex down, driving by myself, and the panel says I average 14.2 MPG.

Am I doing something wrong? How is everyone else getting so much better mileage, especially with AWD?

How fast do you drive. I just had mine out this weekend for a trip to Nova Scotia, 4 hours on the highway. On the way down I drove at 120km/hr = 75mph and got 16.5 litres/100km (14 mpg). On the way back I drove at 100km/hr = 62 mph and got 10 litres /100km (23.5mpg). BIG DIFFERENCE. ( I use premium gas at a $ 1.42 per litre or $5.38 per gallon
Not sure of the time difference in travel, to lazy to do the calculations. I am in no hurry and saved roughly..... doing the math.......... $42.00 Canadian or 44.00 US. on the way back. Not to shabby. It's a good thing I'm getting older and it doesn't bother me to drive a little slower. Still I'll go 110 km/h and appease my wife. She doesn't like going slow.

Those mileage they give on the sticker are lab results doing 80km/h with no head wind and no hills.

Round trip to AC right after picking it up. 520 miles, fair amount of traffic both directions, 75-85 mph on highway = 19.7 mpg :)

LTD, 4wd, tow

EDIT - there were 4 people in the X, average 195#/ea

Just took a 390 Mile trip up the Wisconsin Coast, with some headwinds. We didn't have alot of luggage, and there were 3 of us in the vehicle, so not extra added weight or anything. Got 21.7 MPG. 1/2 the trip was interstate where I drove 69 mph, and the other half was country roads where I drove 61 mph. The head winds killed my mileage. I did notice that for my 4WD XLT...the happy zone seems to be between 60 and 65 MPH.

I was reminded that this thread already existed for MPG w/2011 Explorers.

No recent posts, so I'll bump it up since many owners now have thousands of miles of ownership experience to report MPG on.

Around 800 miles of suburban driving...~19 MPG. First real highway miles to come in a week or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have almost 4000km (2500mi) on the odo and at the last fill up the display read that I was averaging 10.7L/100km (26.38 mpg). The driving on that tank was approx. 75% hwy and 25% city. Using regular 87 octane gas with up to 10% ethanol. Hwy speed is usually at 110km/h (68mph).
The best readout so far was 8.7L/100km (32.6mpg) but that was for about a 7.5 mile trip at 50mph and no stops after filling up.

Back