Your experience w/ 32's and trimming | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your experience w/ 32's and trimming

Just keep in mind with "twisting" the torsion bars you are severly limiting your suspensions downward travel. I did what you are doing now and after about a month realized i had to get spindles. And on top of all of that the new upper and lower ball joints i had just put in were already toast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, now you got me thinkin'. Again. haha
I'm loving the spindles but it's too costly. Or is it a good deal?
http://www.airbagit-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=90603
500 for 2 isn't so bad I guess. But is the one for 279 the same?

Is there anything I should know about them? It's a bolt and go from what I've heard. Do I have to buy anything to contribute to installing the spindles? Any problems I'd run into?

Well, now you got me thinkin'. Again. haha
I'm loving the spindles but it's too costly. Or is it a good deal?
http://www.airbagit-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=90603
500 for 2 isn't so bad I guess. But is the one for 279 the same?

Is there anything I should know about them? It's a bolt and go from what I've heard. Do I have to buy anything to contribute to installing the spindles? Any problems I'd run into?

Let me see if i can find you a set of used spindles from around here. They are basically a bolt on deal. There is a small steering stop on the lower control arm you will need to grind off, and the brake line bracket needs to be relocated. Those are very very easy things to do. The one for 279$ includes "adjustable upper arms" i dont see any reason why youd need those. I have fabtech spindles on mine and use the stock uppers and have no issues at all.

Thanks a lot. I'm panning to get new tires before April or May but I wouldn't mind getting the spindles sooner. Wont need or want to get them until winter or before the tires and wheels. But doesn't hurt to start looking.

And I don't have much hands on experience with this type of stuff but it's one of my biggest hobbies yet I've learned quite a bit from here so that will hopefully help me out when I plan to do this on the day.

hey, i just did this last weekend so ill tell ya what i did.
eagle alloy 58 15x8 rims with yokohama geolander ats 32x11.50x15 tires
i did the TT, i didnt really measure i just cranked each one 3 full turns, i ended up lowering the drivers side back down 1/3 of a turn.
for the rear i did procomp AAL's

the back was fine no rubbing- plenty of room

the front rubbed on the corner of the tire at full turn. i took the plastic skirting off. trust me it looks alot higher and only held on by one screw at each end and those push clips

after you take that off just have someone turn the wheel and see where its running. mine rubbed on the plastic thing under the front bumper. i just cut the corner off at an angle. i then cut part of the splash gaurd thing out. probably 2 inches wide and 1 inch high roughly. for the fender it self it just barely rubbed at full turn. a hammer fixed this lol - i just tapped the inner corner in a bit more.

i can hear some very slight rubbing every now and then at full turn but nothing major i just be careful turning

good luck

Ahh, yes I've read up on your thread. Pictures man! = ) haha
Hopefully you can get a camera from someone.

But yeah anyway that's really good to know. With 3/4's left of bolt showing for me, I'm sure I can get 3 turns out of it. I'm thinking I'm gonna do a TT first then spindles later on for 33's in the future.
I just can't make up my mind. So why not do both.
I honestly like the side skirting so I would probably take off just the rockers for me.

How's the ride doing so far? A bit bumpy so I've been told? Not too bad is it?

TT bolts: start soaking them a night before! i got the 3 truns, but the pass side still had more bolt left but wouldnt turn, probably b/c i didnt soak them till i did it lol other side was still turnable

ride quality: Better! i noticed it rides alot better, as a few people told me. you wont regret doing it.

make sure you do AAL. i have warrior shakles that i have yet to put on it sits like perfect now. i wonder if the front t-bars settled down a bit b/c at first the front was higher lol atleast to AAL if not AAL and shakles. i guess Advance Auto Parts has cheap ones that work just as well.

Awesome about the ride quality. Nice to hear a positive side to it haha.
Yeah I thought about AAL, but now that I think of it, my ranchos won't let me bring the spring down anymore to add them in since I added shackles.
Yeah I have the advance auto parts shackles. They're not ad at all. I heard the stock shackles aren't good and are made crappy. I don't do any off roading or mudding so the new shackles don't give me any problems. But it would be nice to expierence it soon after I do this.

well if u did the shackles then thats ok, either those or the AAL - just something to bring the back end up to match the front

Back