Your Expert Opinions on '99 V8 w/4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your Expert Opinions on '99 V8 w/4WD

covert1

Reaction score
City, State
Howard Co, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
N/A
New and asking a question on behalf of a friend. What are the pros and cons of the 1999 Explorer w/the V8 and 4WD? Feel free to be as detailed as possible. My friend owns a mid-80's Chevy Blazer, and is more than fluent with all the truck terminology.. but he is curious about owners'/drivers' experiences with the Explorer.

Thanks

Welcome to the site buddy!

The only downside is that you can consider is that you have full time all-wheel drive with the V8's. With this, you do not have 4wd Low, which is good for particular situations. It's an engine with some great torque, not necessarily big on horsepower, 215, but it does what it needs to do. In truth I think horsepower is overrated, the V8 moves the truck very well and tows well, what more do you need?;) The new V8's that are coming out in the 2002's have 240hp, it is a 4.6L is a pretty good engine. Let us know what your friend ends up doing! It would be great to have him on the site as well! Take care and happy posting, and welcome!

I must have been extremely tired when I posted this last night, because I just noticed your from HoCo, MD! I'm from Ellicott City and I recall another member here being from Columbia. We have quite a few members from MD and two of us are Mods. Do you have a 4wd vehicle? If you do, feel free to join up with us on some runs! Make sure you bring your friend on here to have a look around, we've got some great info on here. It's always good to see another Marylander on here!:)

Back