Your First Modification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your First Modification

Exploder919

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
What was your first modification,big or small, to you guys' 2nd Gen explorer?

Mine was ripping off those big side steps, made a great aesthetic difference and even gave me some more ground clearance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to say first was fixing some rust then putting driving lights in the bumper on either side of the license plate.. That has been a while and many modifications ago though..

Installing a stereo with bluetooth.

I want to murder people when I see them with earbuds, but dammit, hands-free in a car is awesome. I can't live without it.

Most of my other first "mods" were swapping bulbs for LED arrays and stripping off some of the dumb crap the previous owner did to this truck. I never understood the sense of things like blacked out tail lights.

My first one was removing the running boards too followed closely by brighter bulbs

The 1st mod I did on my '95 was swapping out the OHV with a SOHC. :D

My first was the stupid step bars then a pioneer head unit and speakers then auto tint rear view then I did power passenger seat then dual exhaust and cai then 99 front bumper then 99 tailgate now im neck deep in my v8 swap

I never understood the sense of things like blacked out tail lights.

Ironically that was the second thing I did to mine...

But the new stereo with bluetooth and new speakers was the first thing, and subs were like a week or two later, so I guess technically it's not part of the first thing I did to mine...

I love seeing how many people ditch those side-steps, however, I do get complaints from my girlfriend when she's in heels...but I think there's another thread for that subject...

I'm actually thinking about getting some nerf bars to make it easier on the kids. Though, for the price of them, I'd probably be better off just making a set of sliders. Not that I really need them, but meh, not like it would hurt to have them.

when i bought the truck, it didnt have the running boards, so my first mod was billet grill, and clear corner lights.....and it spiraled out of control after that.

I guess it comes down to how technical you wanna get, but I'd say my first mod was some black taillight covers and an el cheapo headunit followed really close after that even though it didn't last too long. Whoa, memory lane coming through..

My first modification was installing my sub system. Its a sub box with two 1300w Sony xplods, a Phantom 1500 power amp, and JVC radio face with the USB port. It's fun and loud. I have a question though, why does no one like the nerf bars? I feel that yes removing them increases ground clearance, but it kind of fills out the lookof the truck. Mine doesn't have them but if any of you guys wanna sell them to me for cheap, that would be cool.

First mod was LED puddle lamps.

I have a question though, why does no one like the nerf bars? I feel that yes removing them increases ground clearance, but it kind of fills out the lookof the truck. Mine doesn't have them but if any of you guys wanna sell them to me for cheap, that would be cool.

Well you hit that on the head, it give better ground clearance. I ditched mine for that reason, as well that I never used them, just got my pants dirty. From there the next step way ditching the useless weight.

change the dual 70 series flowmasters to dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport i miss my sport now since it's sold but i will get another x someday

Well you hit that on the head, it give better ground clearance. I ditched mine for that reason, as well that I never used them, just got my pants dirty. From there the next step way ditching the useless weight.

That's one thing I noticed as well when removing them, they are quite heavy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha first thing i did was ditch my side steps too , seems to be a popular move :)

Back