your opinion on tires? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

your opinion on tires?

I run dunlop mud rovers on my bronco (35").. they work well but they are loud on the freeway, and they are a somewhat soft rubber so wear is faster on them (than say BFG at's) (video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02vGZj92N9o

on my '93 explorer i'm on my second set of BFG at's (31") the first set lasted me over 40k miles.. pretty good for an offroad tire.. road noise isn't bad, they handle decent, don't drag down gas mileage like knobbys, and they do pretty good off road as well... a great all 'round tire (hence the reason i bought them again)

i'm building another (supercharged) explorer purely for offroad... it'll have a 4" lift and 31" BFG's on it as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

33x12.50 bfg mt best tire I think.I had same tire but AT first and it wasn't close to half the traction in the mud or snow as the mt.the mt are not much louder on the road and don't hydroplane like the AT.

im not entirely sure yet. probably no super deep mud pits.. but some mud. i dont know all the places to go for moderate to easy wheelin in washington. walker?

Look over the trails listed here and tell us which ones you'd like to try;

http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm

Someone in the group has proabably done them with the exception of 'Pucker Ridge':eek:[/QUOTE]

evans creek, the easier trails looks intresting. i think reiter (once it opens) will be too difficult. and walker seems to be best in a small wheel base vehicle. I guess that id primarily be doing old logging roads, and i want to check out tahuya.

I didn't think you would get a lot of other opinions regarding tall and skinny because not many folks run 'em like that. For one the are relatively hard to find. Some would say they offer less stability, but I think good flex and driving ability will help you more than wide tires. You're in western WA right, so your terrain is pretty much exactly like mine down here in western OR. If you plan on rock climbing or playing in the sand, skinny is NOT the way to go. I don't wheel in areas like that, and I can tell you from experience, skinny BLOWS in the sand haha, just digs you straight down. Just think of tractor tires...rigs that make a living off the pavement, tall and skinny. Also, old military jeeps were made for the terrain of western europe...i.e..mud. Now military rigs wear a wider tire for the sand and rocky terrains for which they are used. In the end, it's all about application. Plus, like Welshdragon79 said, skinny would also save you the trouble of having to cut on your rig.

67TruckGuy ran Moab with 33-11.5-15 and did well (for Moab) He only ran a 1" body lift but did trim the back of the front wheel wells.

Sand and snow, drop your air pressure way down (snow, we run 6-8psi), of course wider is better for those conditions and at 6psi, the center of the tire goes concave and the edges of the tire pack the snow under the center instead of pushing the snow to the side. (that's for snow wheelin, not snow on roads)

Jake, you've identified trails I would rate at 2-3. You would do well with 2" of lift (coil spacers and AAL/Shackles) running 31x10.5 or 31x11.5 AT's and they will mount on your stock rims. MT's or KM2's would look and work really nice, especially if you have them siped (sp)

You could easily run Naches Pass , most of the tralis around Liberty and many of the Manastash trails with that set up.

The widest tire you should run on stock 7" rims is 11.50 (some will say 10.50). The largest diameter without a lift or trimming will be a 31" and it would be best to have 3.73 gearing, any higher (lower number) and you will suffer slow acceleration and loss of MPG's.

See you next weekend, right?

I looked at the pics of the trails up there, looks similar to around here with the decomposed granite and felled trees and what not. I'll throw a bone to the KM2's as I have seen them perform on a buddies truck pretty well. Only gripe I've heard on those is the sidewalls can be a bit soft and they wear fast. I'd stay away from the Goodyears with Kev as they don't do mud or snow well and tend to wander on road ( also tend to be overpriced).
KM2's are going to be the same price as ProComp Xtrme M/Ts, if your concerned with price you really can't go wrong with the ol' fall back BFG M/T thats been around for years. Not much side bite or sidewall protection but should wear longer then the KM2's. They won't run as quiet as the Procomps as there are no sipes and the voids are spaced farther but it'll save you $50 a tire or there abouts.

If you coiuld still get BFG-MT's I would definatley recommend them but since they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find.

I'm running them :thumbsup:

Look over the trails listed here and tell us which ones you'd like to try;

http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm

Someone in the group has proabably done them with the exception of 'Pucker Ridge':eek:

evans creek, the easier trails looks intresting. i think reiter (once it opens) will be too difficult. and walker seems to be best in a small wheel base vehicle. I guess that id primarily be doing old logging roads, and i want to check out tahuya.[/QUOTE]

wow. there's tons of places to wheel in washington!!!! time for me to move!!!

i'm stuck in CA and the nearest wheelin' spot is 2 hours away. i can only think of 3 wheelin' spots within 3 hours from me

Your just liv'in the wrong part of Cali :D
There are six locally here that will keep you interested.

I'll throw my hat in for the ProComp Xtreme MT's. I've had two sets (one 31" and now 33's) and can't say enough good about them. Lots of good on road miles on them... and lots of off road abuse too. They seem to be holding up rather well. I have over 50,000 km (yeah, I'm in Canada, over 30.000 miles) on the 33's and they are about 50% worn now. Not too bad for a "mud" rated tire.

Back