Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
this is from the eastwood tool catalog

After 70+ years, the EPA mandated that all domestic oil producers remove ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate) from all conventional and synthetic motor oil. If your engine was designed before 1989 the non-roller lifters require ZDDP to avoid premature deterioration.

It would seem to me that it would be a good thing in any engine.

Yes--no?

This has been a common thread in the muscle car forums that I use. Several people have wiped out there flat tappet cams since the oil has been changed to eliminate the zinc:eek:

I can't imagine it would hurt to add it to a newer engine. I would think it would help prevent scuffing no matter what it was in.:dunno:

I have been researching this topic recently because I have a boat with an '89 351 that has flat tappet cams. What I have found out is that it seems like ZDDP would benefit any engine from the extra protection. Or at the very least it would not do any harm. But from what I have read ZDDP shortens catalytic converter life which is why the EPA has phased it out. So in the 351 I am running Rotella diesel oil because it still has the ZDDP in it. Or there are also ZDDP additives that you can add to the oil.

Ditto that, I just recently read the same thing. The cam makers have reported much higher cam lobe failures since the removal of that ZDDP additive. I read that some oil makers have developed different additives for the oil(or separate) which are less harmful to cats.

I have been working on selecting oil for the break in of my new engine. I need a non detergent oil, but the various additives are a big subject by themselves. I think most synthetic oils are superior enough over normal oil that they are better than older oils with ZDDP.

Back