Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
So I've done some research. I certainly loved my 2012 Grey Explorer Limited that has 98,372 miles on it now. Time to re-up. I went and second guessed myself for the sake of completeness and drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee.....not very impressed...a few cool features, but "What do you mean no air-conditioned seats??!!"
..."...Well...uh, we have 'ventilated seats to offer you.."
I don't think so.
So I set about looking at trim levels....I pretty much want every option out there...I was disappointed I didn't choose the side traffic feature on my 2012.
Anyway, I really liked the look of the grills on the 2016 Sport....liked the blacked out handles and so on, but I don't see that I can give up features like:
-Parking Assist
- Auto High Beams
- The quilted seats
- The upgraded stereo amps and effects

So I think I HAVE TO go with a Platinum. That foils my selection of Ingot Silver because I think looks bad with the brushed aluminum looking accents of the Platinum....So I think it's BLACK for me....Rather wish I could have BLACK with BLACK interior, but apparently I can not.

Anyway...May timeframe to pull the trigger on a 2016 Platinum I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've done some research. I certainly loved my 2012 Grey Explorer Limited that has 98,372 miles on it now. Time to re-up. I went and second guessed myself for the sake of completeness and drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee.....not very impressed...a few cool features, but "What do you mean no air-conditioned seats??!!"
..."...Well...uh, we have 'ventilated seats to offer you.."
I don't think so.
So I set about looking at trim levels....I pretty much want every option out there...I was disappointed I didn't choose the side traffic feature on my 2012.
Anyway, I really liked the look of the grills on the 2016 Sport....liked the blacked out handles and so on, but I don't see that I can give up features like:
-Parking Assist
- Auto High Beams
- The quilted seats
- The upgraded stereo amps and effects

So I think I HAVE TO go with a Platinum. That foils my selection of Ingot Silver because I think looks bad with the brushed aluminum looking accents of the Platinum....So I think it's BLACK for me....Rather wish I could have BLACK with BLACK interior, but apparently I can not.

Anyway...May timeframe to pull the trigger on a 2016 Platinum I think.

Hi pwscott, you can order a Platinum with the Shadow Black exterior and the Ebony (Black) interior.

Livio

So I've done some research. I certainly loved my 2012 Grey Explorer Limited that has 98,372 miles on it now. Time to re-up. I went and second guessed myself for the sake of completeness and drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee.....not very impressed...a few cool features, but "What do you mean no air-conditioned seats??!!" ..."...Well...uh, we have 'ventilated seats to offer you.." I don't think so. So I set about looking at trim levels....I pretty much want every option out there...I was disappointed I didn't choose the side traffic feature on my 2012. Anyway, I really liked the look of the grills on the 2016 Sport....liked the blacked out handles and so on, but I don't see that I can give up features like: -Parking Assist - Auto High Beams - The quilted seats - The upgraded stereo amps and effects So I think I HAVE TO go with a Platinum. That foils my selection of Ingot Silver because I think looks bad with the brushed aluminum looking accents of the Platinum....So I think it's BLACK for me....Rather wish I could have BLACK with BLACK interior, but apparently I can not. Anyway...May timeframe to pull the trigger on a 2016 Platinum I think.
Grand Cherokees do have ventilated seats, optional on Limited and standard on everything above. Also, in 2017 the upgraded stereo will be optional on the Explorer Sport. Might not be enough to change your mind, but there it is.

3rd row is a criterion for me. If it weren't, I couldn't say for sure whether I'd do the Sport or the JGC High Altitude, which is sort of the equivalent.

Seats and sounds

Thanks for your reply. I can't wait for 2017 delivery I don't think (wonder what the soonest I could get a2017 platinum ideas?). And I loved my air conditioned seats versus ventilated seats.

Thanks for your reply. I can't wait for 2017 delivery I don't think (wonder what the soonest I could get a2017 platinum ideas?). And I loved my air conditioned seats versus ventilated seats.
If you order an Explorer right now it will be a 2017. I imagine spec builds will begin appearing at dealers in June or July.

As for the seats, I'm fairly confident "ventilated" versus "air conditioned" is a semantic difference. I don't believe the Explorer has an AC compressor for the seat system, nor connects the airflow to the vehicle's main system. Could be wrong though, I'm just thinking about how expensive that would be to do.

You certainly can have black with black on a platinum, I have 2 at my dealer now ! And as far as the air conditioned seats, yes they are a true air conditioned seat. I don't remember exactly how they work but I remember in Lincoln training that was an advantage over Lexus , true a/c seats vs. ventilated ones

A/C Seats

When one turns on seat A/C, one can hear the rear A/C compressor come on. They definitely blow cold air.... When left on during a long drive I can remember starting to shiver and turning it off in my 2012.

I saw a black Platinum with the ebony interior at my dealership the other day. Definitely not my cup of tea but they do look nice when all clean and shiny.

Peter

The seats will freeze you out!!! And they blow air out of the perforations all the way up the middle of the back...

Back