New member looking for answers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member looking for answers

Reaction score
City, State
Borger Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
undefinedI own a 92 XL that I am having problems with the 4WD. It has push button 4WD, I have had the switch checked and still have no 4WD. I know not much about auto 4WD and am at wits end. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it has auto hubs on the front, it is almost guaranteed that those are bad at this point.

A quick way to check the transfer case (shift motor) is to have someone watch the front driveshaft as you shift into 4wd..........if the driveshaft turns, the case is doing its job. I also believe, that on the 1st gens, if the 4wd light works on the dash when you go into 4wd, this is an indication that the shift motor has shifted.

Definitely more info required. 4x4 lights coming on or not, or flashing? Hear the shift motor? Hear the relays in back clicking? etc.....

no lights, shift motor,relays clicking. when turn driveline by hand hubs engage.

Did you actually get under the vehicle and verify (listening/feeling) the shift motor was trying to engage the 4x4? If it was trying and failing, then either the shift motor needs to be cleaned/rebuilt (many threads here link to another site completely detailing that proceedure), or the position sensor is not working. Have you done the self-test on the GEM (4x4 computer)?

no lights,shift motor ,clicking relays, when turn driveline by hand hubs engage but no 4x4

Floyd McDaniel said:
no lights,shift motor ,clicking relays, when turn driveline by hand hubs engage but no 4x4

was that

No lights, No shift motor trying to move, No clicking relays?

I tried to get my wife to engage the 4x4 while I was under the vehicle ,but she couldn't understand what I was trying to say to her.

Sorry, no experience in explaining things to wives!

Here's the link to the shift motor rebuild:

Dead Link Removed

Testing Procedure

Testing procedure from Alldata attached in Word format (not complete; I didn't save every page, apparently)

Also make sure the connectors are making good contact with the GEM; that was the final nail in fixing my 4x4.

Attachments

• Transfer Case Testing.doc
    18 KB · Views: 566

Floyd - Just wondering if you have made any progress yet?

Back