• Register Today It's free!

siping

Robrt32

Reaction score
City, State
Sledge Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
This term was mentioned in the tire thread. I tried google and didn't help me either.. I don't know what it means. Can somebody explain?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the term is siping. If you google that you may get better results. But basically it involves cutting small slits in the tread of the tire in order to improve traction.

exactly sipes are the little cuts in the treads of tires to give it more traction, especially on ice,,

...Siping...:

IMPROVED BRAKING!
Research has shown that the most effective braking power occurs immediately prior to losing traction. SIPING extends the window allowed for maximum braking power by giving the existing tread a helping hand. In the examples on the right, notice how the SIPED tire has dozens more gripping edges.

BETTER TRACTION!
The tread surface on your tire is made up of many smaller surfaces known as "Tread Blocks." The reason for so many surfaces is especially important when it comes to icy or wet road conditions. The tread Blocks get their gripping power not from their many smooth surfaces, but from the even more numerous sharp surrounding edges. SIPING provides more of these gripping edges.

WHY DON'T MY TIRES COME SIPED FROM THE MANUFACTURER?
Our SIPING process doesn't remove ANY rubber from the tread allowing the individual SIPES to support each other. A molded SIPE leaves vacant gaps in the tread. SIPING creates edges without gaps.
To SIPE (in mass production) after the molding process would be too expensive and time consuming for the manufacturer..

SMOOTHER RIDE!
New asphalt is relatively smooth but, time and wear exaggerates the coarse texture of the road's surface causing your tires to absorb most of the impact. SIPING gives your tires a Micro-Flexibility reducing the wear on your tire's carcass and sidewalls. This effect not only increases tire life, but will result in a smoother ride.

HOW IS SIPING DONE?
SIPING is done by placing your tires (new or used) on a specially designed machine that rotates your tires while making small, virtually invisible 90 degree cuts in your tread. Only under very close inspection can the SIPES even be seen, and you're more likely to tell by your improved driving experience than by visual inspection.

WILL SIPING ADVERSELY AFFECT MY TIRE'S PERFORMANCE?
SIPING will not adversely affect your tires performance in any way. The tread on your tires retains all of its strength due to the patented spiral cutting process. This process leaves uncut areas known as Tie bars keeping your tread strong.

Heat Generation is a common cause of rapid tire wear and even tire failure. While this heat may be a natural result of friction, the effect it has on your tire can be undesirable.
SIPING reduces the heat and its effect on your tire by allowing it to cool. As depicted in the illustrations above, the SIPED tire runs cooler due to the heat dispersing effect of the SIPES themselves. Much like your car's radiator, heat is isolated into smaller groups and air passing between these areas cause a natural cooling effect.

This information/testing is provided by SAF-TEE Siping and Grooving, Inc.

Some discount tire stores can do siping.. BUT.. you then run the risk of them not wanting to do it if you bring your tires on your X. If you bring them loose they don't care..

Around here they are $10 each to get siped(sp?).. same price if you bring them loose (on rims) or on the vehicle.

~Mark

...The spelling is correct...:D...Thank you sir...:salute:

Many tires have siping done during manufacturing. My Dick Cepek Mud Country's are siped. They are worlds better than my un-siped BFG Mud Terrains were. I notice the difference in rain, snow and ice. Way better traction.

Real world experience of everything tbars posted.

We had 33x12.50 (did it with the 32's too) BFG AT KO's that were siped. They did seem to handle wet pavement better when siped, but of course it could have just been me "thinking" they were doing better. They did seem to last longer.. I was getting 40k miles on a set (with a detroit rear locker) and they still had enough tread to sell at the swap meet.

When not siped the corners of the lugs would always wear down rough and when they chunked they would take a somewhat large chunk. With them siped I saw more little chunks but I don't remember seeing as many big chunks..

~Mark

Back