2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

I Dropped mine off about a month ago, they changed out the "Valve Body" in the tranny and did the TSB (supposably). Even with BOTH of those done, I feel like now, it could even be worse than before. He said it would drive weird for about 1000 miles, well it has been about 2500 miles and still sometimes hesitates when accelerating. Annoys the hell out of me! I don't even want to go back and deal with them again, I haven't decided if I'm gonna stick with it, or take it to another dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Dropped mine off about a month ago, they changed out the "Valve Body" in the tranny and did the TSB (supposably). Even with BOTH of those done, I feel like now, it could even be worse than before. He said it would drive weird for about 1000 miles, well it has been about 2500 miles and still sometimes hesitates when accelerating. Annoys the hell out of me! I don't even want to go back and deal with them again, I haven't decided if I'm gonna stick with it, or take it to another dealer.
Crap. I was hoping you would chime in and this is not what I was wanting to hear. $20 says they are not doing the TSB correctly. You're still having the problem because the computer is still giving the trans junk instructions on what to do. I read through the TSB and it and it sounds like a pretty involved procedure to do it correctly. I bet I'm going to have the same problem here.

I sure wish they would have kept with the older 4r70w trans that was in the previous generation Explorers. It was a great trans and you really couldn't kill it. I got one in my truck and I put it through all sorts of hell. This fancy 6speed auto crap is for the birds! :p:

We'll see what they say tomorrow.

I had the update done at ford and it did nothing??? People are french where I'm from and the technician was probably too ignorant to warm up the engine before programming. I'll go back again and see what the dumbasses say.........

Just spoke to my Ford guy. They stated that there is a newer TSB available to address this. They applied it and said to drive it around for a week to give the trans computer a chance to learn and I should be good to go. I asked for the TSB info and this is what he gave me:

TSB 8-24-4
Date: 11/20/2008

I tried my TSB sources and I can't seem to find any info on it. My wife and I will pick up the vehicle later this evening and I'll report back.

FINGERS CROSSED.

Ask the dealer for a print out of the TSB when you pick it up.
I didn't think to ask on the phone and the service dept was closed when I picked it up. They did have to order a part for another thing (interior thing) and it should be in next week. I'll ask when I go back.

The car was doing the 'bump' worse than before when we picked it up. But it continued to improve during the drive home and now seems to be almost gone. It always seemed to do it worse when the trans was cold, so we'll see how it does in the morning. The 'tip-in' issue seems to be completely gone at this point. The trans is shifting different, I noticed that the up shifts happen a bit sooner than before. So they definetly did something. We'll see how it goes over the next week or so while the trans learns the new program.

since the last visit to the dealer, still no bump... 55K on the clock now.

Stein, which dealer are you taking your Explorer to?

Stein, which dealer are you taking your Explorer to?
Haggerty Ford in West Chicago. There are dealers closer to me, but Haggerty is a smaller dealer and I find them easier to work with.

We've put about a 100 miles on the Explorer since the update. It's running much better than it was when we picked it up. The only thing I still notice is when you come up to a stop sign and almost stop (I mean you are just barely moving) and you get back on the gas, sometimes you can feel it grab first gear a little rough. Other than that, it's driving perfect. I'll give it some more time and see if it improves further.

TSB
07-23-2 6R60 TRANSMISSION EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY - BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H), DELAYED ENGAGEMENT, HESITATION ON TIP-IN AFTER BRAKING

Publication Date: November 6, 2007

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-13-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with 6R60 transmission may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop less than 10 MPH (16 Km/h). Some vehicles built prior to 05/4/2006 may exhibit the following symptoms:

Delayed engagements into Drive from Park Neutral or Reverse.
Hesitation upon tip-in after braking to a stop.
This fixes the bump while braking to a stop, improves the delayed engagements and reduces the incidence of tip-in hesitation while accelerating from a stop.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) and the powertrain control module (PCM). Some tip-in hesitation is normal on this transmission in order to provide smooth operation. This calibration update will help to improve the condition. The harsh bump while braking to a stop will be eliminated. Several days of driving may be required for the transmission to fully adapt.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

Install IDS/PDS or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
Update the PCM and TCM calibration using IDS release 51.8 and higher or 52.1 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.
Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox.
Choose Powertrain.
Choose Reset KAM.
Then Choose TCM.
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
Scroll down the menu and Choose Reset TCM KAM.
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175° F (80° C). If it is not at 175° F (80° C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175° F (80° C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts must occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.
Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) so that the transmission shifts into 6th gear.
Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 15 seconds.
Repeat Steps (a-c) a total of five (5) times.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
072302A 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L 6R60 Transmission: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM And TCM, Includes Time To Clear KAM And Perform Road Tests (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.9 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

that is the exact reset procedure we use at Ford^^^i personally have done an 06 sport trac with the 3v 4.6...and let me tell you-if you dont do that exactly^(this sport trac liked to shift at 2k :rolleyes:) it wont work. oh, and find a loooooooooooong stretch of road with nobody on it...if your in the city well this will be tricky :D

The only thing I still notice is when you come up to a stop sign and almost stop (I mean you are just barely moving) and you get back on the gas, sometimes you can feel it grab first gear a little rough. Other than that, it's driving perfect.

That's as close to normal as you're going to get with these trucks. My '05 with the 5-speed auto does the same thing ... I believe that it has to do with the throttle-by-wire system, not the tranny itself.

That's as close to normal as you're going to get with these trucks. My '05 with the 5-speed auto does the same thing ... I believe that it has to do with the throttle-by-wire system, not the tranny itself.
Thanks for the info. If this is how it's going to be, I guess I can live with it. My wife drives it most of the time anyway. ;) The throttle by wire system just feels artificial to me, I can't seem to get used to it.

Is this issue only with 07 and older 6 speed trans. I just bought a 08 sport trac and was wondering if I am going to have this problem and need a reflash.

Ask the dealer for a print out of the TSB when you pick it up.
Here is the print out of the new TSB. The printer they had must have been running out of toner, you'll see an area that is faint and hard to read. Click the thumbnails for the full size picture.

The trans is shifting great thus far!

th_tsb01_resized.jpg
th_tsb02_resized.jpg

My 2006 Explorer EB V8 has been in the shop three times for this issue over the last couple of years. It has been covered under the regular warranty each time. Now, I have 40k miles and it is back in the shop for the latest TSB. I have the PremiumCare plan and the dealer is charging me $250 for the latest "fix," saying it isn't covered under the PremiumCare. To me, that is just doo doo. Ford knows about this problem, and I have the extended plan. They need to step up and fix it. Also, $250 for 0.9 hours of labor (according to latest TSB)?

Thats B.S. if ford attempted to fix the problem several times under the regulat warranty and it is still an issue it is considered a pre existing problem and they should fix it at no cost to you. If they refuse then lemon law it.

I called Ford's Extended Service Plan call center and got transferred to their preauthorization group and they say it should be covered. Now I have to call the service advisor again. This is exactly the kind of BS that I don't have the time or patience for when it comes to service departments. Ugh.

Add another one to the list

Reading thru this thread is starting to get me really upset. I just purchased a used 2006 EB V8 2WD in December. Right off the bat I noticed hesitation/hard shifts and bumps when coming to a stop. I took it into the shop (thankfully I purchased it as a Certified Pre-Owned so I have a decent warranty) and they performed a TSB (although I'm not sure which one). I picked it up and drove it home and on my way home it was doing the same thing. I took it in a week later and the mechanic then had the service writer unhook the negative battery cable for 10 minutes to clear "memory". After the service writer plugged the cable back in, she said that it would take about 5 start/stop cycles before it started acting correctly. Well, I drove it for another week, no sign of improvement, now it's in the shop again and I'm in a rental, a 2008 Explorer v6 which I actually find more fun to drive than the EB that I own! After reading the TSB where it mentions "Disconnecting the battery will not clear the memory" (or similar to that), I just called up my service writer and let her know what I read. She said "ooh, ok, I'll let the mechanic know that", but it still made me feel it bit uneasy. Are there any suggestions from anyone here as to what I should do while it is still in the shop? Maybe call Ford? I'm at a loss, I love the SUV and it's a very nice upgrade from our 2005 Escape, however if it's going to have trans issues from 24K on then I'm not sure I made the right decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: The service advisor called Ford and the info given to me by the rep at For'd Extended Service Plan was correct. It will be covered!

DBright - don't get too discouraged. Many people have had the problem and had it fixed. You hear more bad things on forums like this because upset people complain and satsified people don't chime in as much. Just do your end of the work and make sure the dealer is doing everything right (as you have already).

Back