• Register Today It's free!

New to off-roading ?'s

92 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello guys, i am geating closer to maybe putting a lift on my 92 explorer but i have just a couple of questions.i have done a couple of searches both not really comen up with what i need. my first question is that i have a manual transmission and was wondering how it works off-roading with working the clutch and if it was a pain in the butt, also if there was any thing to keep in mind for a first time off-roader using a manual transmission to not burn it up. Also how does running a 3" body lift work off-roading, especially with the steering and shifter extension. For starters i wont be doing a whole lot of rough riding but just some rough turrain to get used to it. So like always your guys input is geatly appreciated and thanks agian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You gave yourself the best advice: "For starters i wont be doing a whole lot of rough riding but just some rough terrain to get used to it."
Just take it easy until you get comfortable upshifting and downshifting, going up and down steeper grade hills, Keep in mind the parking brake, it can be used to great effect in getting traction and keeping yourself from burning up the clutch.

The best advice I can give you is to go wheeling with some experienced people. They will give you specific advice for each trail obsticle. They will keep you from doing something you will regret. Be perpared when offroading (tow strap, water, food, fluids ect.). There is lots of info on this site.

When offroading use low range 4x4 for most situations. I only use 4x4 high in snow and if I am just barely stuck in 2 wheel drive.

Well I was planning on trailering the explorer to Carlisle for the truck show(I won’t be showing hahahaha) then maybe going to Rausch creek but I was not sure if Rausch creek had easy stock trails. And then may be run in to some people there that might have some more expericed with off-roading. I know that a bunch of you guys are going from Explorer forum. I come from a long line of car nuts but none went off-roading. Well crap I guess that means I have to fix my low range. Ha-ha I had fixed high a couple months ago but low never worked.

Best advice I can give for wheeling with a stick is to keep your foot off of the clutch pedal unless you are shifting gears!

Even resting a foot on the pedal "in case something happens" will toast the clutch in very short order (like one run).

If you can't control yourself and the truck at that level, get an auto.

okay what would maybe recommend the first mod of mine to be as a very early starter(16 years old). Just starting with light off-roading and building up my confidence. How is a body lift off-roading especially with all the extensions, or any other ideas you might have

Body lifts are OK. A lot of people don't like them -- mainly because you put more stress on the body mounts by raising them 3" -- especially if you have rusted out truck -- but mine worked great for years of wheeling.

The BL is the fastest, easiest way to gain some tire clearance.

By the way, getting WAY up in the air is not needed for real off-roading. In fact, it makes the truck way too tippy. Lift it just enough to clear your tires, and cut away the sheet metal that is still in the way. Keep it low and let the tires do the work.

On a 92 Explorer, I'd do the following in steps:

1. Remove or make disconnects for the front sway bar. Cost = $5.00 for hardware hitch pins in 1/2" size. Drill out two holes and slip in the pins -- done. This allows much more travel in the front end.

2. Remove the rear sway bar. Cost = free. This allows for more rear travel and flex.

3. Remove the factory overload spring (the big flat one under the spring pack) on the rear springs and replace it with a generic full-length overload spring from Auto Zone or Pep Boys. Cost = $30.00 for the springs, $5.00 for new center pins. Soak the U-bolts with PB Lube, tap with a hammer to start the penetrating action, then loosen one side at a time. Remove the center pin on the leaves (they will then be loose -- have a friend to help). Stick a new center pin in, tighten the leaves together, then stick on the overload beneath them and tighten the U-bolts back down. This allows for more flex in the rear suspension.

4. Add longer rear shocks (4" lift shocks work good). Cost = price of shocks, from $25 to $100 (or free if you can find take-offs). You will need the extra length to make sure that the shocks are not your limit straps.

5. Add F250 front shock mounts to the front end in place of the stockers. Cost $30.00. Cut off the half of the spring perch that is the shock mount on the front suspension. You can do this with a cut-off wheel or torch (or even a hack saw or sawsall). Bolt on the new shock mount (watch for lines inside the frame rail). This mod allows for much longer front shocks that will give you about 15" of front axle travel.

6. F 350 Superduty front brake lines. Cost $50. This allows for maximum front travel without tearing lines. This MUST be done with the F250 shock mount mod.

7. Longer front shocks. Use the catalog and find 15" stroke two-eye shocks. Cost $25-$100 depending on shocks (or free take-offs). This allows for maximum front end travel.

8. Longer shackles for the rear springs. Cost $15.00 if you make your own -- $50+ if you purchase. This allows for a bit of rear lift and more articulation. Make 2" longer than stock.

9. 1975-1979 F150 coil springs. Cost $20.00 (salvage yard find). These are softer and flex much better than factory springs. They will not give lift, but they will give travel. Add a coil spring seat from an F150. Cost $30.00 to gain an extra 1.5" of lift.

10. 3" body lift. Cost $100. This will allow you to move up to 33" tires with the above mods. Otherwise, you can run 31" tires and have more travel than most Jeeps and other 4x4s you will run with.

Other modifications include moving the air intake to the top of the hood to stop the problem in filling the factory air box with mud and water. Cost $30.00. Use eBay cheapy hood scoop, and RV flexible plastic hose. Also works as a power adder.

Bumpers/skid plates/sliders. Find some water pipe and a friend with a welder. Go nuts. Cost = materals -- typically almost free if you scrounge around.

Total cost to build a truck capable of doing 80% of the off-road trails in America? Under $500. Deliver a few pizzas and get building.

holy crap dude, thanks tones, that was alot of help, although could you give me some more clearification on step five in your list. i was wondering also if you could help me find that spring you are talking about and where to possible buy all the other parts, and also what year F-350 would you use for the break lines or doesnt it matter. sorry for all the extra questions i just want to get this right

holy crap dude, thanks tones, that was alot of help, although could you give me some more clearification on step five in your list. i was wondering also if you could help me find that spring you are talking about and where to possible buy all the other parts, and also what year F-350 would you use for the break lines or doesnt it matter. sorry for all the extra questions i just want to get this right

The F250 shock mounts are sort of self-explanatory once you hold them in your hand. They bolt flat to the frame, and extent up into the fenderwell about 6" higher than the stock molded ones. When I've done that mod, I've cut the stock shock mount away from the upper spring bucket (look under the front wheel well and you'll see what I'm talking about), then stick the F250 mount right next to the spring bucket, drill the holes, and bolt it in place.

Here is a good link to the process. It will help to show what you have to do.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/F250shocktower.htm

For the brake lines, any late model Superduty will work. They all fit. They are about twice as long as the stock brake lines, and will allow for as much as 15" of travel. I used a couple of loose nylon wire ties to hold the brake lines in place so they wouldn't rub the tire or get between the spring (by loose, I mean make a BIG loop and just let the line ride in it).

One other step I forgot to mention... Capture the top of the coil springs to the upper spring mount. Use a small muffler clamp or some sort of J-hook that you make. I used the small clamps for simplicity sake. If you don't, once you to the other stuff, you can potentially loose the top of the spring from the upper mount, and it is a pain to get back in place on the trail. I learned this the hard way... ;)

If you do the mods above, this is about what you are capable of:

15014Front_side_shot.jpg

wow I just came across this and I haven't really done any mods to my ex but this'll deff' come in handy

I've got to remember this thread when I get an offroad project started.

That whole list should be a stickie in this forum.

Would cut down on the "what should I do to get started" threads. Not that we don't like answering questions. :)

92 where about in PA are you. If your 16 then you will need the parental waiver to wheel at rausch Creek. Rausch Creek site Look under the membership link for the forms.

My other club (Keystone Krawlers) are hosting a wheeling 101 April 4th. Keystone site sign up and come join us. It is geared towards people just like you. Easy trails, good friends, lots of fun.

Rausch creek is a fun place to wheel, I went there in November for the 1st time, mainly stuck to greens since my ex is stock but was still fun.

for the front swaybar disconnects, do you need to do that to both sides? or is one side enough?

The F-250 shock mounts, does it matter what year or what type of front end it has?

Thanks, but unfortuantly for you i have one more questions. where would you get a pair of larger diameter coil buckets and the shock mounts if i were to use 1979 coils. Also what kind of moding would have to be done do the lower coil holder when using these 1979 coils. ohh and for those wondering i live in macungie and i would love to go to the Keystone wheeling meeting.

I need to agree, GLFredrick has some great points. And I like your approach to going offroading in an easy situation. That's how I started, getting my truck on the trails, getting high centered in the ruts by big trucks but learning recovery techniques. It will take time and mistakes, but read up and there is a lot to learn. Things like airing down your tires will help so much with traction. I also used a $20 come-a-long to free my truck from all my times getting stuck when I first got started.

Also if your truck has a factory limited slip and a lot of miles look into rebuilding that with new clutches. It's not that hard and will help a lot in off-roading. If overlooked it will possible chew up your differential spider and side gears...or at least that's what happened to me when I first got started.

For the manual transmission, I would for sure get one of these. I kinda think EVERY manual transmission should have one, plus your friends will think it's really trick that you have a gas pedal for your thumb. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50331&highlight=Hand+Throttle

for the front swaybar disconnects, do you need to do that to both sides? or is one side enough?

I do both sides and tie the bar up out of the way with bungee cords. The front axle housings will articulate WAY more than the sway bar will allow, even if one side is unhooked.

top_of_carb_hill.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The F-250 shock mounts, does it matter what year or what type of front end it has?

That mod will work with any TTB=styled front end. That limits it to the 91-94 model years. After that, the front axle switched to independent and you can't get close to the same amount of articulation and travel.

Back