Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide
Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" - View Single Post - 75mm throttle body for 4.0L SOHC?

View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
... There is a mismatch of 10.9mm (76.2-65.3) which may be enough to warrant an adapter (spacer with tapered port)....
Very good Dale, and those are good pictures and measurements. I agree that with a 5mm difference in radius, that's too much to expect to smooth out of a plastic entry.

The upper intake is the biggest restriction of these engines, and the hardest to improve. The later engines are a little better, but we are still stuck with the restrictive tight turns and small ports.

The TB bolts are fortunately rather long. You may be able to use them if you can make a thin adapter of about 3/8" or so in size. With the tight bends of the intake entry, there isn't anything to gain by having a really long entry to smooth the change from 65mm to 75mm. That EGR pipe is bigger than I remembered, and the air has to turn hard right there also.

You are making progress. But on second thought I would like to get a harder look at a later intake. It may or may not be worth it to think about swapping. I wonder if there are any decent pictures of 4.0's from late late Mustangs, besides the truck intakes. Regards,

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote