2002 Ford Explorer transmission leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer transmission leak.

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
hi i have a 02 ford explorer xlt and today i was driving and my tranny did not wanted to **** at the right time but there was no kicking, you could not feel the tranny shift...so i stoped at dd to get a drink i looked down and i see red tranny fluid right on the middle where the tranny meets the motor its leaking like a river....anyone knows whats wrong????:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

This happens in my 94 xlt. It only happens when i push it hard through mud or doing donuts in sand type things. Then it goes away. And my reverse makes a whining sound for a while after and goes no where. Eventually it comes back. Does it happen to you too?

here is the thing i was reading posts and stuff and they said when the tranny gets hot it leaks but in my case when i start up the truck it does not leak but after like 5 mins it starts leaking but the tranny fluid is cold not warm or hot then when i turn off the truck it stops leaking. so i bought a new pump and a new converter so maybe one of them is no good? the tranny has no problems shifting or anything truck only has 141,000 but it was a companey truck like a fleet truck and i bout it at action so dont know much about truck.. not making a sad story or anything but i have 3 babies and a wife stuff to pay and i dont have a job right now so its hard to buy parts (thanks god for ebay) i am a mechanic but not a tranny pro or tech i did rebuild my 700r4 tranny and it was really easy. i have alldata pro and i seen that ford has a tsb about the 5r55w tranny leaking from where mine is leaking but it says..... Article No.
03-5-7

03/17/03

TRANSMISSION - 5R55W - FLUID LEAK FROM THE
CONVERTER HOUSING AREA

FORD:
2002 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002 MOUNTAINEER

Article 01-11-05 is being republished in its entirely to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE
This TSB supersedes 01-11-05 and is being reprinted to further clarify the diagnosis and repair procedures. Fluid leaks in the converter housing area must be diagnosed using the Leak Diagnostic Procedures found in the Workshop Manual.

ACTION
Fluid found to be in the converter housing area is not due to vent components but may be due to other transmission issues, i.e., transmission overheat, seal leaks etc. The vent service kit that was referenced in a previous TSB will no longer be available for purchase or usage as a repair component. If fluid is coming from the converter housing area follow normal diagnosis for fluid leaks as found in the Workshop Manual Section 307-01. If repairs are required, follow normal Workshop Manual procedures using the correct service part(s) as listed in your parts catalog.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 01-11-05
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY
OASIS CODES: 504000, 510000

but i dont have a workshop manual to look at section 307-01...thanks and i am so so sorry about a long post... you guys rock

Back