• Register Today It's free!

I can't shift into park.

darkside79

Reaction score
City, State
Folsom, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Just bought a used '94 XLT Explorer today. Test drove great, bought it. Drove home, stopped and gassed up. Pulled up to my house wouldn't go into park. :thumbdwn: E-brake is now on, but won't start. Linkage problem. Looks like I will be using the search button now.
Thanks
Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day Derek, hope the fix goes smoothly.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 91-94 section. Did you check the fuse for the shift interlock mechanism? There is a TSB for it.

Got the problem all figured out. This picture helped me to figure it out.

tumblr_lhxezvv42f1qhbbkqo1_1280.jpg

1st Generation Explorer Links

General Interest
Autoshop101.com - A great place to start learning the basics

Infamous Issues with 1st Generation Explorers
Clean out the blower box, prevent a fire

Fuel
Fuel Pressure Regulator - The primary test for the fuel pressure regulator is the fuel pressure test. However, the pressure regulator can also fail with a hole in the diaphragm. Such a defect will cause fuel to be drawn into the vacuum line and into the intake manifold. The test for such a defect is to disconnect the vacuum line at the regulator and run the fuel pump. If fuel is released from the vacuum port of the regulator, then it has a hole in it. Alternatively, one could apply vacuum via a manual pump (MityVac) and see if it holds a vacuum.

Fuel Pressure Test
Idle Air Control (IAC) - Rough idle, tap IAC and see if it changes/improves. Also, try disconnecting IAC and check for change. It is easy to clean, keep cleaner out of electronic side.
Mass Airflow Sensor Test (MAF)(external site)
Throttle Position Sensor Test (TPS)

Electrical

Brakes

Mr. Shorty's EEC-IV Test Method
EEC / ODB-I Codes and Procedures
The letters after the code correspond to the test stage, or condition:
O = Key On Engine Off (KOEO)
R = Key On Engine Running (KOER)
C = Continuous Memory code (CM)

Clutch and Flywheel Replacement, transfer and trans case removal

Last edited:

Back