2007 Sport Trac is difficult to shift out of park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Sport Trac is difficult to shift out of park.

mykey570

Reaction score
City, State
Sweet Valley, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer sport trac
I have a 2007 sport trac. I am having problems getting the the shifter out of
park. when i press the break sometimes I hear a click and it may or may not come out of park. sometimes i press lightly on the break and it will come out.
at times it could take 5 mins. to finally get it to come out of park. at times i can hear the switch click and a click in the gear shift and sometimes it works and sometimes not. I ahve 41000 miles. it a v8, 4wd, xlt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with mine. There is a TSB on the issue to replace the shifter, it should be fixed for free as long as it is under warranty.

welcome mykey

sport trac park

thank you for the info. i am on the extended warranty. its the premium care 500 plan. i hope this will be coved under that plan. thanks again.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the 2007-up Sport Trac section. It sounds like there is a problem with your brake shift interlock switch. This is one of the links in # 19 in my list of useful threads: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2008-05-18_152453_TSB_04-22-12.pdf

I agree the same thing happened on my f-150 would you believe the day I was trading it in. I was so worried they would try and drive it and not be able to get it out of park.

I had the same problem with mine. There is a TSB on the issue to replace the shifter, it should be fixed for free as long as it is under warranty.

What is a TSB? Have a 2007 explorer that started with this problem now I can't get the ket out of ignition.

go to your local Ford dealership and bring the problem up to them, tell them you heard a TSB was issued for it and they should be able to help you out

My 2007 also has the same problem. I'm out of warranty and wanting to be cheap I fixed(Youtube Link for more info) it myself. Note that doing what I did to "fix" it will disable your "I need to press the brake pedal to **** out of park" feature. :D

Do you have the number of the TSB?Dealer is telling me there is not one

Back