2000 Explorer 4x4 Limited turns over but won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 4x4 Limited turns over but won't start.

mikeygt350

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Hello,
Can anybody help me with a starting issue on my 2000 explorer limited 4x4? It has ran great up til now, but suddenly will not start. It turns over like it is going to start fine, but never seems to get the gas to start. I towed it to our local mechanic who is usually able to fix anything, but he is stumped. First thought was of course the fuel pump, but that didn't fix it. He checked iignition, relays, and all he could think of, but no luck. He thinks the pump is turning "on" but not getting a "signal" to pump the gas for start. He thinks it is a computer issue. That would probably mean Ford needs to fix it, but I would rather not have to tow it to a ford shop. I thought someone out there may have experienced this or similar electrical or computer probs and could tell me something else to have him look into before giving up.
Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the help. The mechanic working on my explorer has tried those ideas already and is not coming up with anything. The only one not tried so far is the wire ohming, but I don't think that's it, because the fuel pump appears to be working.

He said the pump turns on and works, but just not allowing it to get to the engine. He thinks something with the computer may be functioning incorrectly. Anyone had this odd problem before or other ideas of things to try or test computer without taking it to ford?
Thanks,
Mike

If the fuel pump turns on it is delivering fuel.

Next step is to install a "noid" on an injector to check for voltage signal to the injector.

The cam sensor controls injector timing and pulses. However it will not usually prevent a start when it fails

Now what sometimes seems to be a no fuel situation may actually be a no spark--

Try some starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it will try to fire. If it still will not try to fire- you may have an ignition problem.
The crankshaft position sensor "times" the ignition pulses. check it well, and, also check the harmonic balancer, which has the timing sprocket attached.

PCM's rarely fail. I suppose you could take it out and look for obvious burned areas inside--

for 2nd generation

Is this a procedure I can use on my 97 Ranger xlt? if not is there one posted for this particular ford?

The procedure was written for 2nd generation Explorers. I'm not aware of a procedure for your Ranger.

Back