Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I'd have to say I do not experience the problem either (yet). I think it is helpful to hear from those who don't have the issue in order to help determine a pattern. I don't know what that pattern is, but obviously it affects some and not others. But does that mean a production line issue, a part that fails over time, or what? Hopefully Ford will figure it out soon

UPDATE: I have a 2013 Limited, made June 2012, with 8000+ miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because we post our issues is why some of you have had no issues with your explorers. Mine has had alot of the tsb's and it hasnt been easy to work out all the them. My explorer was a very early build and almost all of my issues had to be slowly worked through. If it wasnt for people posting their issues it would have made it alot harder. So think twice before you give someone a hard time just for posting a concern with their explorer. Dont get me wrong I love my explorer and will get the sport in a couple of years. But I hate it when people who dont have an issue with there ex give others a hard time because they do.

Desertexplorer, are you sure the sand is not stuck UP in the cat converter ??? ALSO YOU WILL GET THAT SMELL MORE ON HOT DAYS NOT ON COLD DAYS.....!

There is no way sand will get UP all the way to the cat converter ... Even if one does go off roading into the desert. Heat or Cold have nothing to do with it either.

I have tried my best to keep things civil and on the topic. I hope the discussion in this thread remains that way.

Sorry to all those who felt offended, i did not mean it that way i have had a few tsb like the a pillar, breaks, mft, but all where taken care early on by my great great dealership in yonker ny (smith cairns) they have a well trained tech staff, so again sorry to all !!!!:)

New TSB just came out today for exhaust entering cabin. 12-12-4

Just came from my local dealership here in the Philippines. Test drove the EX with the service technician and service advisor. At first trial, all clear. Did a runabout, then boom, smell engulfed the cabin. As many members here have relayed, the smell did come from the back then circulating to the front.

The service advisor and technician quickly checked for any advice as they too were troubled by the strong foul smell. Then, there it is! A TSB FINALLY!!! The service technician told me that it just came out recently, as in December 10th 2012!!! The TSB calls for changing parts in the rear bumper since it where the exhaust smell comes in or is sucked it during hard acceleration. A total of 5 parts will be replaced as part of the TSB.

GUYS,

Just came from my local dealership here in the Philippines. Test drove the EX with the service technician and service advisor. At first trial, all clear. Did a runabout, then boom, smell engulfed the cabin. As many members here have relayed, the smell did come from the back then circulating to the front.

The service advisor and technician quickly checked for any advice as they too were troubled by the strong foul smell. Then, there it is! A TSB FINALLY!!! The service technician told me that it just came out recently, as in December 10th 2012!!! The TSB calls for changing parts in the rear bumper since it is where the exhaust smell apparently comes in or is sucked it during hard acceleration. A total of 5 parts will be replaced as part of the TSB. What parts, the service technician said it has to with the rear HVAC system or vents.

Please post the TSb if someone here has already gotten a hold it. The dealership won't show it to me for proprietary reasons.

Any details...... :)

It involves replacing a cabin vent on on the rear behind the bumper and sealing off a bunch of seams near the exhaust. Procedure calls for about 2 hours of labor.

Hi Riley,

Would you have the actual TSB like what JDraper has posted? Just curious because the service advisor wouldn't show me his computer screen for proprietary reasons...

Thanks in advance!

P.S. 2 hours of labor is not so bad. Too bad I wouldn't be able to have the oil changed as the same time.

Hey everyone,

This is just a reminder: I'm here to assist by getting your cases escalated to your region's customer service manager. Let's get these concerns documented so that your CSMs can partner with your dealerships and get things resolved. All I need is a PM from you with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thank you!

Crystal

Finally!!! Some good news. Will follow it up with the local Ford Service Department.

Once this issue is fixed, my EX will be a perfect vehicle :thumbsup:

GUYS,

The service advisor and technician quickly checked for any advice as they too were troubled by the strong foul smell. Then, there it is! A TSB FINALLY!!! The service technician told me that it just came out recently, as in December 10th 2012!!! The TSB calls for changing parts in the rear bumper since it is where the exhaust smell apparently comes in or is sucked it during hard acceleration. A total of 5 parts will be replaced as part of the TSB. What parts, the service technician said it has to with the rear HVAC system or vents.

Please post the TSb if someone here has already gotten a hold it. The dealership won't show it to me for proprietary reasons.
Well......I guess this is good news. I will be getting my new Explorer (hopefully) in the next couple of weeks. Now I guess I get to look forward to a repair right away!

Be Sure to read the very bottom of this post. Only to be conducted by an authorized Ford Dealer. The info below is just that, Information on the repair.

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2013 Explorer vehicles may exhibit an exhaust odor in the vehicle with the auxiliary climate control system on. Customers may indicate the odor smells like sulfur.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the rear bumper cover. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-19.
  2. Replace the left side rear air extractor. (Figure 1)

tsb_12_12_4_01.jpg

Figure 1 - Article 12-12-4
  3. Open the liftgate and install a new drain valve in each of the two (2) drain holes on the left and right side of the liftgate. (Figure 2)

tsb_12_12_4_02.jpg

Figure 2 - Article 12-12-4
  4. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to WSM, Section 100-02.
  5. Lower and support rear section of the exhaust system.
  6. Clean areas on underside of vehicle where seam sealer will be applied. (Figures 3-5)

tsb_12_12_4_03.jpg

Figure 3 - Article 12-12-4

tsb_12_12_4_04.jpg

Figure 4 - Article 12-12-4

tsb_12_12_4_05.jpg

Figure 5 - Article 12-12-4
  7. Cover exhaust system and auxiliary climate control drain.
  8. Apply generous amount of Motorcraft® Seam Sealer to rear horizontal sheet metal lap joints on left and right sides of the vehicle, and the rear sheet metal overlap flange across the rear of the vehicle. (Figures 3-5)
  9. Spray generous amount of 3M™ Rubberized Undercoating around auxiliary air conditioning lines and seam sealer areas. (Figure 6)

tsb_12_12_4_06.jpg

Figure 6 - Article 12-12-4
  10. Install the rear exhaust system.
  11. Install rear bumper cover. Refer to WSM, Section 501-19
  12. Install the left hand and right hand rear fender mouldings. Refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
    1. Apply masking tape around the outer edge of the rear fender mouldings to protect the vehicle from damage.

Obtain Parts LocallyPart NumberPart Name088823M™ Rubberized Undercoating™

PART NUMBERPART NAMEBB5Z-61280B62-ADual Rate Air ExtractorBB5Z-7829164-AAWheel Lip Moulding Right HandBB5Z-7829165-AAWheel Lip Moulding Left Hand4M8Z-54280B62-AValve Assembly Auto DrainTA-2Motorcraft® Seam sealer

The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Thanks!

Good to know that there is a fix.......I doubt that the vehicles on the dealer lots will all be fixed in the next couple weeks when I get mine!

Hi gang,

The best course of action is to make appointments at your dealerships so they can get you taken care of. If you haven't already contacted me for an escalation, please send me a PM with your VIN, preferred dealer, mileage, daytime phone number and full name; I'll get your regional customer service manager involved and ensure that you're contacted promptly. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi gang,

The best course of action is to make appointments at your dealerships so they can get you taken care of. If you haven't already contacted me for an escalation, please send me a PM with your VIN, preferred dealer, mileage, daytime phone number and full name; I'll get your regional customer service manager involved and ensure that you're contacted promptly. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Crystal

Excellent advice Crystal! I think Ford has made strides of progress in quality and product selection, but again, any issues like this, please contact your dealer for repairs, do not attempt any type of repair like this on your own. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back