Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install

I actually found the Ford part number for the said puddle light assemblies (about $25/each) and I think I will order two to modify with the LEDS. I figured if anything goes wrong I will always have an OEM spare set to fallback on.

Thanks for forwarding the install information.

What's the part number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really clean!!! Do you have a recent side profile pic with all tires plasti-dippped?

LED puddle lights vs standard (pic)

This weekend I replaced my stock puddle lights with the ones that I ordered from http://www.daytimebrightlites.com. I took a picture with the two lights side by side to give you an idea of how much brighter (and whiter) they are:

PuddleLightComparison.jpg

I am very pleased with the look, just one more thing to make my Explorer unique!

Thanks. How much were they? Did they also charge you shipping?
Looks like the only way to contact them is via email. Usually leery about web sites without physical addresses and phone numbers.

Thanks. How much were they? Did they also charge you shipping?
Looks like the only way to contact them is via email. Usually leery about web sites without physical addresses and phone numbers.

GWA1, after the trade in of my original lights, it works out to ~$75 (don't have the invoice with me right now). He is based in Kansas and yes there were shipping costs. He was very responsive to my questions and has been very easy to work with. As a bonus, he also includes LED license plate lights, which I really like the look of as well.

nice mod!

Thanks Chulo, I wasn't the first to get this installed, but I sure like the outcome!

Thanks for the pics , I ordered 10, 31mm festoon LEDs off of eBay($10)and will be installing them myself just to save a little moolah... These sure make things look "newer" to me

GWA1, after the trade in of my original lights, it works out to ~$75 (don't have the invoice with me right now). He is based in Kansas and yes there were shipping costs. He was very responsive to my questions and has been very easy to work with. As a bonus, he also includes LED license plate lights, which I really like the look of as well.

Thanks for the info.
They look great

Congrats! It looks very nice! I am also going to order the puddle lights from brightlites.com That's the last thing I want to do to my Sport which by the way is also in the White Platinum Tri-Coat with the Charcoal Black Sienna Interior!

Thanks man, its super clean. Good idea on the puddle lights, it makes such a big difference. Someday ill get a Sport ;) Hows the gas on your car?

How did you get black handles?

Plasti Dipped them. I have to re shoot them as I just did it as a test and now they are peeling a bit.

Really clean!!! Do you have a recent side profile pic with all tires plasti-dippped?

Ive got some, just have to upload them!

Looks great man! I did mine a few weeks ago and I love them!

So $75 PLUS you give up your original light assemblies?

The replacements bulb assemblies are ~$23 a piece (new!) and say $5 for several 31mm festoon LEDs.

That's $51, say $5 shipping... $56 and you have TWO sets of lights (the original ones and now the modified ones). Sounds to me that you're better off doing this "mod" on your own than the Daytime Bright Lites choice.

Pardon my ignorance, I've never heard the term "puddle light".

Where are they located?

Pardon my ignorance, I've never heard the term "puddle light".

Where are they located?

The lights beneath the side mirrors are referred to as puddle lights.
They are exactly what they are called, they light up the area where you are might step into a puddle of water.

IMG_0876.jpg

The LED puddle light mod is a good project for those that have what I call the three T's: Time, Talent and Tools to do it themselves. The plug & play drop-in LED pud replacements are for those folks that are more comfortable with a ready-made unit. Not for everyone, your right, but a nice option for those that would choose to do without them if faced with having to cut open the lights themselves. Thanks for the nice words TXAggie.

LED lights are like the greatest for look and function!

Only LED's ive put in my Ex so far are the rear license plate lights. I'll do the puddle lamps and turn signals eventually. Bugs me that Ford did LED stoplights but not turn signals, (well except for in the mirror). lol

Thanks man, its super clean. Good idea on the puddle lights, it makes such a big difference. Someday ill get a Sport ;) Hows the gas on your car?

Plasti Dipped them. I have to re shoot them as I just did it as a test and now they are peeling a bit.

Ive got some, just have to upload them!

Hurry up with those pics!!! :D

WOW, they are proud of those little lights :)

I have a box of 20 or 30 leds's that were never installed on the Audi Q5 I had and the whole set cost less than that !!!

Will have to see if I have one that will fit.... and try this as the stock ones are dim...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very happy with my LED puddle lights

So how much for the interior LED's for the Explorer?
Once I get my deposit back I'll order some

Back