• Register Today It's free!

1997 ford xlt 5.0 EGR valve

sailor bill

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford xlt 5.0
I have read all the problems with replacing EGR valve and all other components in the EGR system and find I am not alone with the EGR bottom nut removal. I was a pretty good Mechanic in my day and also 30 years in Naval and Air force aircraft but My hands don't work so good any more and I have tried about everything to get to that blasted bottom nut on EGR. My Mechanic said he would remove Plenum chamber, I didn't want to get that involved. I also have the Check engine lite and have replace everything that is a part of EGR system except EGR valve but I also have a great running engine with none of the so called problems for a bad EGR.. Any great advice would be welcome other than take it to a mechanic::salute:

Bypass it. Remove and plug the two lines from the DPFE Sensor (EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor). Remove the line from the EGR valve and connect it to the REF port on the DPFE sensor. The REF (reference) port is the one on the left as you face the sensor. Reset the CEL and give it a try. Mine has been in bypass for 4 years.

Thanks for the info but I should of added that I have a early 1997 manufactured in Aug, 1996 and early 1997 didn't have a DPFE sensor. I went nuts looking for mine until I checked it out and found that I didn't have one.

Back