Shift to Park Warning | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Welcome to the Forum dnewell.:wavey:
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to have to pay for an estimate to find out what is required to repair the vehicle. I'm guessing that is an hourly labour charge. If that is the max they will charge no matter how long it takes then it's pretty good since just trying to isolate the leak could take some time. I do agree that it seems frustrating that the leak issue is now carrying into the 4th year of production.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ours is doing this too. 2013 limited. Gonna take it in a d have this and the power steering recall done. Prolly not till January tho as the wife will be out of town then.

Shift to Park Issues

I am also having the Shift to park issues. Surely this is something Ford should take care of since it is becoming so common. My Edge is a 2011 with 24,000 miles and less than 4 months out of warranty and I surely can't afford to deal with expensive issues like replacing a shift level. If the level is not operating properly isn't it possible to have an accident due to this issue?

I am also having the Shift to park issues. Surely this is something Ford should take care of since it is becoming so common. My Edge is a 2011 with 24,000 miles and less than 4 months out of warranty and I surely can't afford to deal with expensive issues like replacing a shift level. If the level is not operating properly isn't it possible to have an accident due to this issue?

No it is not possible to have an accident. The faulty trigger button (not shifter) works as it is supposed to in regards to locking the car in park and releasing to R or D. It is only electronic in regards to communicating with the warning on the dash about it not being in park. Putting in park is mechanical (the movement of the shifter), has nothing to do with the button/trigger.

It is not a costly repair IF Ford will not cover it and you can do it yourself. Just buy the new shifter and pull the side panel off the shifter console to expose the area you need to get to. Back when I had this done a few years ago, I was told the part has a new part# so they must have corrected the issue a few years ago.

TSB 14-0209

SHIFT TO PARK MESSAGE - WHILE IN PARK / UNABLE TO REMOVE
IKT / SHIFTER STUCK IN PARK / DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO
SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON

FORD:
2011-2014 Edge
2013-2014 Flex
2011-2015 Explorer
2013-2015 Taurus
LINCOLN:
2013-2014 MKS, MKT
2011-2015 MKX

ISSUE
Some 2011-2014 Edge, 2011-2015 MKX, Explorer, 2013-2014 Flex, MKT, MKS and 2013-2015 Taurus vehicles equipped
with a floor shift selector lever may exhibit a Shift To Park message displayed while in park, unable to remove integrated
keyhead transmitter (IKT), shifter stuck in park and/or discharged battery due to Shift to Park light remaining illuminated.
The park detect switch cannot detect the shifter is in park.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Replace the selector lever assembly.

And since it is a TSB it only falls under Factory Warranty Guidelines. IE 3/36 and any purchased extended warranty. If you are outside of this you pay.

I am also having the Shift to park issues. Surely this is something Ford should take care of since it is becoming so common. My Edge is a 2011 with 24,000 miles and less than 4 months out of warranty...

Welcome to the forum, Shortlegs. Your dealership will be able to determine if a repair can be made after diagnosing your Edge. Once you've had your appointment I'll be able to look into ways to help, if needed. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Our 2011 Explorer started exhibiting the "shift to park" issue around the 30,000 mile mark. We had it in for service several times. A couple of times we even got it into that state while we were dropping it off. The 1st 2 times all they were willing to do was adjust the cable. This really did nothing for our problem. Finally after almost 60,000 miles later we were told that Ford had released a new design of the shifter and that they wee willing to replace it under our extended warranty. Other than the time spent waiting to get this fixed, I am also upset that I have to pay the deductible. Based on all I have read here the past couple of years, this is clearly a design issue. And since we complained about it during the 1st 36,000 miles, I believe it should have been covered under the original warranty. I don't really fault our dealership as they tried to be helpful and understanding, but I do believe Ford should stand behind this and do the right thing.

Welcome to the Forum Shadow2011.:wavey:
It is unfortunate that the TSB came out after your dealer's initial attempts to repair. I am tempted to agree with you that since the problem was identified while still under the factory warranty that it should be fully covered. However, according to what I read in your post, it seems you drove another 30k miles and I assume that during that time that you didn't bring it back for that same issue. I don't know if that should have any effect on the warranty coverage. I bought the ESP that had no deductible, others bought the one with a deductible so unless Ford has a change of heart, it looks like you will have to pay the deductible at this point.
I don't know if this is something that the Ford Service rep, Crystal (FordService), can help you with or not. You can always send her a PM using this link if you wish;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck.

Peter

Our 2011 Explorer started exhibiting the "shift to park" issue around the 30,000 mile mark. We had it in for service several times. A couple of times we even got it into that state while we were dropping it off. The 1st 2 times all they were willing to do was adjust the cable. This really did nothing for our problem. Finally after almost 60,000 miles later we were told that Ford had released a new design of the shifter and that they wee willing to replace it under our extended warranty. Other than the time spent waiting to get this fixed, I am also upset that I have to pay the deductible. Based on all I have read here the past couple of years, this is clearly a design issue. And since we complained about it during the 1st 36,000 miles, I believe it should have been covered under the original warranty. I don't really fault our dealership as they tried to be helpful and understanding, but I do believe Ford should stand behind this and do the right thing.

If it was reported and never fixed, you are correct, the warranty should cover it but as Peter stated, 30k is a lot of miles to go without bringing up the issue. If you were continuously visiting the dealer for the issue during the 30k, you shouldn't have to pay the deductible. The original instructions from Ford were to adjust the cable but clearly that was not the solution.

I will disagree with you, your dealer is just as much at fault as Ford for this. They can easily duplicate the issue.. not only that, Ford gives every dealer $$$ to comp customer repair bills (AKA - good will) so it doesn't even come out of the dealer's pocket. They get a lump sum every 6 months I believe. They could have easily eating the $100 deductible if they wanted to knowing the continuous issue you've had with it.

Same thing happening in my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. I read through this thread, contacted Crystal, and called the dealership who said it wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty. They also want me to bring it in so they can run diagnostics and they say it isn't going to be a mechanical problem but probably a sensor...but looking through this thread it seems like it absolutely is the lever and not a sensor or anything else so doing their "diagnostics" and changing a sensor will be a waste of money. Unfortunately, I can't just take a thread from the internet on the subject to the dealership to prove my case and will likely need to waste my time and money to fix the issue....very frustrating.....

Same thing happening in my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. I read through this thread, contacted Crystal, and called the dealership who said it wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty. They also want me to bring it in so they can run diagnostics and they say it isn't going to be a mechanical problem but probably a sensor...but looking through this thread it seems like it absolutely is the lever and not a sensor or anything else so doing their "diagnostics" and changing a sensor will be a waste of money. Unfortunately, I can't just take a thread from the internet on the subject to the dealership to prove my case and will likely need to waste my time and money to fix the issue....very frustrating.....

Honestly, the best thing to do is request a tech, have them sit in the passenger seat and follow the testing method I've mentioned on how to duplicate it. There is a TSB on this now and it no longer states to adjust the cable, it is a shifter replacement.

You are over 36,000 miles? Also, which ESP do you have, FORD OEM or aftermarket? If Ford, which level? Any ESP is worthless except the Premium ESP and the Premium covers it.

Thanks blwnsmoke. I have been reading your posts on this thread and how adamant you are that it is the lever and that has helped me to be adamant to the dealership as well. The car is at 50K, Ford said that I have the premium extended warranty (I forget what they called it) but said it wasn't a "Ford warranty", I said that was interesting since they sold it to me when I bought the car... After that they said they would run their tests, change the sensor and if that didn't work then they would look for other reasons.

To be perfectly honest, I have never found extended warranties to be worth anything and working with a dealership has always been a hassle so, since I'm pretty handy around a vehicle, I feel I could just grab the part and put it in myself. They seem more than willing to sell me the part and I am thinking that your voice, along with others in this thread, are helping me decide that is the right direction to go instead of pouring money into it with tests and deductibles when the part only cost $150 to begin with and I can take a day on the weekend and do it.

Trust me blownsmoke is absolutely correct. Replace the stick shift only.

There is no sensor.. All the shifter does is move a cable internally which designated the gear you want to be in. The issue (I know you know this but saying it anyways) is simply the trigger button on the shifter. For some reason the contacts crap out and cause it not to know when it is pressed in or not pressed. The trigger button can not be replaced on it's own, it is part of the shifter.

I honestly can't believe the dealer you are at has never heard of this..

Yes you can replace it yourself. I do not have the instructions for it but I do know the side panel of the console where the shifter is pops off exposing the underneath. From there I have to assume (right or wrong, I don't know) that you would just be dealing with a few screws/bolts to remove and replace.

Many Ford dealerships sell 3rd party warranties that are NOT Ford warranties. I'm not going to get into much about these but find them worthless. Ford warranties are great IMO because there really is no "approval" needed to do a repair, it is Ford and their computers tell them what is or isn't covered. 3rd parties, well they need to get authorization for the repair, the company does not pay for diagnostics so you are normally out that amount as well, plus deductible blah blah blah..

I'm sorry if your selling dealer was not straight up with you. I've had nothing but FANTASTIC experiences with the Ford ESP on all my vehicles. I'm only about 40% recovered on my Explorer from the cost BUT I still have another 3 yrs, 50k and consider it peace of mind.. No repairs out of pocket as long as I have a loan on the vehicle.

Anyways, best of luck to you!!

There is no sensor.. All the shifter does is move a cable internally which designated the gear you want to be in. The issue (I know you know this but saying it anyways) is simply the trigger button on the shifter. For some reason the contacts crap out and cause it not to know when it is pressed in or not pressed. The trigger button can not be replaced on it's own, it is part of the shifter.

Thanks again! Yes, I sure do get that the button is the issue, but your response about the button makes me need to be crystal clear. I added a link below for the shifter assembly, sadly I haven't figured out how to add embed pictures or it would be way easier.

The trigger button is the issue but I can't just replace the button because it is part of the shifter. Are you saying that I can't just replace the knob (top part that has the up/down buttons, trigger button, etc.) shown in link below as "7213" (second picture from the top) and that I need to replace the entire assembly (knob, stick, gear selector, etc.) shown in link below as "7210" or the little gray box (essentially the second and third picture from the top)?

This thread leads me to believe the entire assembly (knob, stick, gear selector) needs to be replaced but I want to make it is as clear as possible whether it is just the knob or the whole assembly. The diagram isn't great and my brain wants me to think that if I am just replacing the knob with all the buttons then I am replacing the faulty trigger button but the diagram could be hiding something important. Thanks.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Explorer

7213 is all you need. When I stated shifter, I consider the shifter the part you wrap your hand around to grab to move between gears. Not the whole system (cable, boot etc etc).

Looks like HB1 is the screw/bolt you undo to remove the shifter and replace. Again, should be a simple fix. If it happened again to me, I'd do the same thing as you and do it myself. Not worth the $100 deductible for a $63 part plus the time of traveling to and from the dealer.

Take a look at this Ford vendor, they are a vendor on the diesel sites that I belong to. They sell parts 10% over cost so you really can't get much better then that.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...atic-transmission-cat/gear-shift-control-scat

Based on you having a limited, it seems you need part (4th one listed on part 2 # BT4Z-7213-EA @ $63.73 plus shipping. Description is:

"W/TILT/TELESCOPE COLUMN, 2013-14, W/3.5 LITER, W/LEATHER, W/AUTO SHIFT"

You are amazing! That is even better news! That is a very cheap and easy fix with no hassle. Thank you for clarifying and for the link. I absolutely will purchase it from that site.

You are amazing! That is even better news! That is a very cheap and easy fix with no hassle. Thank you for clarifying and for the link. I absolutely will purchase it from that site.

Let us know how it goes.. I don't recall anyone actually replacing it on their own yet. If you could, take some pics of the process so other members can see the steps as well. I'll help you post them up after, just PM me.

Best of luck!!

I'm having the same message on my 2011 explorer with 26,000 miles. Had it to the dealer three times and still not fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the same message on my 2011 explorer with 26,000 miles. Had it to the dealer three times and still not fixed.
I'm guessing they never replaced the shifter. Until they do, it will never be fixed.

Peter

Back