Time for tires | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just had a set installed yesterday. Nitto NT 421Q. Buy two / get two free at NTB. Out the door with all fees AND one year alignment was just over $800. In my opinion they had some nice features but do look "unique". Not that many reviews on them but the few I found were about 4of5 stars. I have the 20". Rated 109V XL, 75,000 mile wty.

I got 58K out of the Hankooks and they wore nicely. Could have easily gone another 5-7k but some upcoming winter road trips made me nervous.

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt421q-premier-all-season-crossover-suv-tire

http://www.amazon.com/Nitto-421Q-All-Season-Radial-Tire/product-reviews/B00CY5FJEG

http://tirereviewsandratings.com/nitto-nt-421q-review-rating/

Since Spring 2014, we've been running the Nitto NT 421Q's on my wife 2011 XLT and have been extremely happy with them. They're very quiet, seem to be wearing very evenly, they handle extremely well in wet and dry, and do a great job of resisting hydroplaning (heck, they even do well in the deep sands of Outer Banks, NC)...the only condition we haven't yet had a chance to try them in is "snow". Despite getting about 8"+ the day before Thanksgiving, it was pretty wet and really not an accurate test.

One thing which really puzzles me about this tire is the fact it's been out since 2011/2012 and I've yet to find a single review on it (owner or otherwise)--not even a "bad" review. Nothing. Even on sites like Discount Tire, which sells Nittos, there's not a single customer review.

Anyway, I'll report back after I've had a chance to give them a good run-down in the white stuff. Worst case scenario, if they turn out to be really awful in the snow/ice, I would still give them a glowing review as a 3 season tire!

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since Spring 2014, we've been running the Nitto NT 421Q's on my wife 2011 XLT and have been extremely happy with them. They're very quiet, seem to be wearing very evenly, they handle extremely well in wet and dry, and do a great job of resisting hydroplaning (heck, they even do well in the deep sands of Outer Banks, NC)...the only condition we haven't yet had a chance to try them in is "snow". Despite getting about 8"+ the day before Thanksgiving, it was pretty wet and really not an accurate test.

One thing which really puzzles me about this tire is the fact it's been out since 2011/2012 and I've yet to find a single review on it (owner or otherwise)--not even a "bad" review. Nothing. Even on sites like Discount Tire, which sells Nittos, there's not a single customer review.

Anyway, I'll report back after I've had a chance to give them a good run-down in the white stuff. Worst case scenario, if they turn out to be really awful in the snow/ice, I would still give them a glowing review as a 3 season tire!

Tim
Just finished a 2,000 mile trip to Virginia and back. Had rain, snow and slush in the mountains of West Virginia. Did pretty well for an all season tire. I was a little disappointed in the mileage, which seemed to be about 0.5 mpg less than the Hankooks. I rechecked the pressure today and it was about 3 lbs lower than I normally run, so I'm hoping that was the difference. Seemed to handle curves in the mountains well. I plan to post reviews after I get a few more miles. They seem to be feature rich given the low price.

I ordered these & Blizzaks for winter duty, they should be here in a couple of days.
I'll post a pic when they are on.

Installed

C54EC4C7-2783-4664-B5D9-4DD0FBDB1920.jpg

Installed

C54EC4C7-2783-4664-B5D9-4DD0FBDB1920.jpg

Fpo, Which Blizzacks did you get? I bought a set of LM-60's and 20 inch wheels for winter tires. I have driven them about 500 miles now and they ride as good or better as the factory Hankooks. Been through one snowstorm and some icy conditions so far and they handle great in snow and ice.

Just finished a 2,000 mile trip to Virginia and back. Had rain, snow and slush in the mountains of West Virginia. Did pretty well for an all season tire. I was a little disappointed in the mileage, which seemed to be about 0.5 mpg less than the Hankooks. I rechecked the pressure today and it was about 3 lbs lower than I normally run, so I'm hoping that was the difference. Seemed to handle curves in the mountains well. I plan to post reviews after I get a few more miles. They seem to be feature rich given the low price.

That's good to hear....well...other than the drop in mileage which I'm sure has something to do with your inflation. I normally run my tires about 3-4 PSI higher than the door jam recommends, too, but often it will depend on how the tires I'm running respond to the higher pressures. In my experience, some seem to get a little "squirrelly".

As for the Nittos, originally, I had some concerns over the idea of buying a set of tires from a brand which wasn't known for producing anything other than cut-rate, el-cheapo tires for the "Fast 'n Furious crowd" along the likes of "Nankang", etc. But, it seems that Nitto is actually manufacturing some decent, well-made tires and I'm seeing many of their models on upscale sedans and SUVs now. I guess it makes sense since Hankook orig came from humble beginnings, too...

Please keep us posted on your experience with the NT 421Q's....they sure sound like a "win".

Cheers,
Tim

Your new tires have a slightly larger diameter than your old worn out tires. The odometer therefore thinks you have traveled less miles, since your tires are larger than the ones you took off. So you are most likely getting the same mpg. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177

Fpo, Which Blizzacks did you get? I bought a set of LM-60's and 20 inch wheels for winter tires. I have driven them about 500 miles now and they ride as good or better as the factory Hankooks. Been through one snowstorm and some icy conditions so far and they handle great in snow and ice.

I got the dm-v1's
Very happy with them.

Your new tires have a slightly larger diameter than your old worn out tires. The odometer therefore thinks you have traveled less miles, since your tires are larger than the ones you took off. So you are most likely getting the same mpg. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177

Interesting. That combined with air pressure would explain it. I started to look for new RPM comparison with the Hankooks but haven't found any yet.

When I had my 2011 Ltd and swapped out the OEM 20" with the 17" Winter wheels, my trip to the same gas station was always a little further, at least according to the odometer. :D There was a 1.67% diameter difference.

Peter

I got the dm-v1's
Very happy with them.
Many of us are apparently using this same tire. I see that Bridgestone is now advertising the Blizzak WS-80 as 'the' Winter tire in their TV ads.

Peter

Many of us are apparently using this same tire. I see that Bridgestone is now advertising the Blizzak WS-80 as 'the' Winter tire in their TV ads.

Peter

I did get an offer for a free winter kit. Free is Free

media.jsp

CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus

Been doing a lot of research. Out of all the posts I haven't heard anyone mention Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus. Is this a bad tire? Its got great reviews on tire rack. I am looking for a good all around tire.. Mainly for wet and slick roads in the winter. I have the Latitude HP with just over 60k

Been doing a lot of research. Out of all the posts I haven't heard anyone mention Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus. Is this a bad tire? Its got great reviews on tire rack. I am looking for a good all around tire.. Mainly for wet and slick roads in the winter. I have the Latitude HP with just over 60k

I just put these on my Dodge Dakota. They seem like a quiet, nice riding tire. It's only been a couple of weeks but so far so good.

my local tire warehouse place is pushing me towards some Toyo proxes ST II tires for $160usd a piece. Any thoughts? They seem to have good reviews on 1010tires.com

Have you checked if your dealer can get those tires and what their price would be? Their slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires.

Peter

We ended up getting 54,000 miles out of the OEM Hankooks. Ended up putting a new set of Hankooks on it this week.

OK, so now I have about 7000 miles on the Nitto NQ421s. The mileage improved running at about 38-39lbs of pressure. Pretty good/expected handing in all weather. The only thing I have noticed is on certain road surfaces and conditions, they seem to cause some noise. One stretch with the radio off I thought I was hearing a slight transmission whine which disappeared when the road conditions changed. Grooved roads seem loader than the Hankooks. After 7K they still look like new. One additional good feature is the rim recess which will protect the rims better than the OEMs. Given the price I paid I would buy them again. Spending more, I would likely focus on lower rolling resistance tires.

Any suggestions on good All Season tires for the 20" rims - something better than the Hankooks?

I was very happy with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. Found that they have a little more aggressive tread than the Hankooks. In fact I had them installed the same day I picked up my 2011 Limited from the dealer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back