How to: - C4/D20 Swap in Progress | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: C4/D20 Swap in Progress

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
well, I started my tranny/t-case swap last sunday. its a Ford C4 auto 3-speed out of a 70s model Bronco that I rebuilt myself. I also installed a B&M Transpak Shift kit. The transfer case is a D20 out of the same Bronco and it has Twin Sticks. my buddy TJ came by the house with his tow rig and trailer and we trailer the Sploder to his place. while he went out to eat I stayed behind and started workin on her....

here's a quick breakdown of the progress so far....

Sunday::
Removed both front seats, pulled back the carpet to the back seats, unbolted the factory plate covering where the manual shifter would come up if I had a manual tranny. I then unbolted the d-shafts from both ends and drained the tranny. Also, the transfer case was dropped.
(removed broken pic links)

Monday::
TJ and I unbolted the tranny and started pullin it.... I"m glad I'm puttin in an older tranny, none of that crappy electical connection crap!! and yes, that's all we got done monday, it was a PITA pullin the tranny without droppin down the exhaust.

I will be back out there on Thursday, so I will post updates by just editing this post.... Lemme know what you think so far.

==Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blew Another

This is the 3rd a4ld, and a friend of mine who builds drag racing trannys said this is the strongest il get it. Now when i put it in 1st it sounds like shaking marbles in a coffee can!!!
I gotta do a c4/5 swap! I tryed it once before but when i bolted it up i was having clearance problems with the converter and flexplate. But i Pulled the tranny from a 4.0 ranger and it worked in That truck wich dosnt make sence.
SO..... From what iv gathered here you need to swap to a 4.0 Explorer
C-5 Bell, Converter, flex plate out of 85+ 2.9 v6
C-4 Trans CASE FILL w/ shift upgrades
And MoD the Xmember and drive shaft.

Is this all correct? Please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you don't necessarily NEED a case fill C4, I have a pan fill in my Explorer, but the Case fill does have a smaller case up where the bellhousing bolts to it, and with the case fill, you have the option of a deeper tranny pan, where you don't have that option with the pan fill C4s (like mine). I also learned that you can use the Flexplate from the A4LD to save a bit of green, but flexplates are so cheap, that I just went ahead and used one from an 85 BII.

--Ryan

I've been looking for a c5 for a while now but no luck. These are floor shift right? What years are they in? Are in Rangers also or just B2?

I've got a c4 out of a full size, but it's not a floor shift so it's useless for me.

as far as I know. you can make the c4s and the c5s any "shift" you want. I thought about hookin my column shift up to my C4 but decided against it, just takes a little "fabbin" to get it to mount on the shift lever of the tranny.

--Ryan

Hey Josh you can use any C4 as long as it's 74? or later because the shaft spline count is correct. Ryan did it right as having the right t-case adapter and output shaft that obviously came with the combo. You'll want a C5 1350 combo that was behind a BII or early ranger 2.8L v-6, basicaly flex plate back off a donor truck. You can easily swap the 1354 later if you want the flange for the front drive shaft. The only problem with the Dana 20swap is how the t-case hangs low but a well built skid plate will take care of that problem. And teralow 4:1 crawling gears are nicer than 2.46:1 as with the 1350/1354 t-case. One other nice part is the stock starter will work on this swap also.

Oh by the way I have a Lokar shifter that mounts to the trans and a Art Carr reverse manual valve body(P,R,N,1,2,3) and have to shift every gear. Wish I knew how it worked though it's all still sitting by the truck, not even close to being under it yet.

I believe the tranny is from a 80 f150 or something like that, but it's a 2wd tranny. I think i'll just try to find a whole donor setup like you said. I wasn't sure which motor the c5 came behind.

Hey, another option is the 700R4 swap, got one in my 94xlt and I've been beating the snot out of it since 7/2004. No problems, had the tranny built with stout parts and strong shift kit, custom tc. With the 4:10's and the crappy No-Slip really wheels nice.

Yeah but how much are the adapters?

I paid $1185.00 for the engine adaptor, transfer case adaptor, reverse light switch, Lokar shifter (You can't use the stock column shifter, this is much cooler having the floor shifter anyway) from MOAB Offroad. Then another $200 for the 4.0 throttle cable and bracket, and complete TCC relay kit from Bowtie Overdrives. So to swap it your self adapting a 60 deg. 700R4 will set you back about $1400 plus the tranny.

I did this when I had the $$$ set aside, and it has paid off many times over. I went through 3 tranny's too, A4LD's just can't handle any abuse over driving like a Granny would.

Edit: 2:53pm, another thing the 700R4 is good for, Hemi's. Had to run out and on my way home pulled up to a light with a new Hemi Durango, and it was on! Toasted him off the line up to 3rd gear then he passed me but it took him 2 blocks!!! That's good enough for me baby!

Just to keep this thread alive, I'll post a couple pics of my crossmember. I didn the same pan fill C4/Dana20 swap in my junk. I used a B&M Mega shifter for the Trans, and a Wildhorses twin stick setup for the T-Case. Here's a few pics of the X-member, and one of my rig, and My son.

673587.jpg

673590.jpg

673591.jpg

673594.jpg

So this same swap should werk for my 99 ranger right?

does the v8 and v6 c-4 have the same input spline count?

Whats 4x4's had c4's? I think 302 stangs had them too, what is needed to convert the tailshaft?

Along with the c4, 2.8/2.9 V^ flexplate and spacer, bellhousing and TC are needed? And a 2.8/9 starter must be used?

How about comuter issues, there would be a permanent CEL with this correct?

You can use the stock column shifter with some small mods to the shift detent plate and for bling factor to the indicator plastic

hi there, i been searching for info about a c5 c4 trannys, too much info but really don't know how accurate they are, so, i been doing my own research, i have a c5 that is on the proccess to be install on my 92 ford explorer, 4.o ohv BW 1354, i already ask to some pros and they said that c4 c5 are the same, physically the c5 it's a late version of the c4, has some upgrades to the c4, the inner parts, like clutchs, bands, they use the same,, input and output shaft are the same but the c5 has some bigger holes to lub, valve bodys are different but u can place a c4 valve body on a c5 , pan fill or case fill that varies depending from where did you get your c4, van auto or truck, ok, well, if you know any other difference, please, let us know,

.to install that c5 behind the 4.0 ohv, u need the bellhousing out of a 85 b2 2.8, the flywheel out of the 4.0 auto, also the 4.0 manual starter wont work, need to be replace for a long one, from the auto tranny,
dsc_0953.jpg

highrevchupakabras.jpg

c2.jpg

Why does my jerk really hard in the front when i change gears and how much does a front transfer case cost brand new for ford explorer 2002 xls

Why does my jerk really hard in the front when i change gears and how much does a front transfer case cost brand new for ford explorer 2002 xls

you resurrected a 3 year old thread for an unrelated topic to ask this question? you should just start a new thread

also, check to make sure it's full of fluid, and if the check engine light is on (i'm guessing it is) check the codes and see what you get (autozone will rent you a tool to check if you dont have one.. or buy one for like 25 bux)

im doing a 5.0 ho c5 swap in my explorer. i took the transmision to a pro to get it measured for a torque converter, after ordering a custom c4/c5 torque converter we found out my transmision had allready been set up with c4 parts, now i havce a 400$custom torque converter that does no good. If any body has a c5 bellhousing (The deeper one) and would like to trade or sell it for a good c4 bellhousing that would be most helpfull, i dont want to eat the cost of the custom converter and it should work if i can locate the correct c5 bell. any info or thoughts would be great, email me at White4_6@live.com

Back