• Register Today It's free!

Bashed by an 18-wheeler

AgExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLS
Tuesday afternoon my wife called to tell me that an 18-wheeler had backed into our Explorer on the driver's side. When I asked her how that had happened, she said the driver had tried to back into a parking space between the X and a Honda Civic while attempting to turn around after a delivery. The B-piller got gashed pretty good, the back door has a big dent and the glass in the back door and rear cargo area got blown out. All of this on the driver's side. On the passenger side, the trim between the glass and door now rub. We're still waiting for the trucking company's insurance adjuster to inspect the damage for an estimate. We've got a rental on their dime until the X gets repaired.

The repairs will have to be perfect for me to sign off on the paperwork. I know that if anything is not to my satisfaction, the trucking company responsible will be paying for everything.

With all the broken glass, I have requested the seats and carpet to be replaced. I don't want the slightest chance that a tiny shard of glass get stirred up and end up in anyone's eyes, especially my son's.

How much market value can I expect to lose because of this guy's stupidity? I plan to pursue this in addition to having them repair the X.

If you have any suggestions on anything further that I need to do or look out for, they are much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that, man. That sucks! Good call about the upolstery and carpet though, safety first!

Since the accident isn't mechanical, the selling value lost won't be as much as a road accident. However, a couple thousand wouldn't be that hard to see. The truck's insurance should pay any future loss due to the accident record.

That sucks to hear, but you're going in the right direction with eveything and that's good to hear, what with all the people that get taken advantage of these days. Good Luck!

I'm sorry to hear about that! i would be very stringent about how they repair it and make sure everything they use to repair it is genuine ford parts. also replacing the seats and carpet is a good idea too. hopefully your X gets all fixed up and back to normal. since it was parked when it happened does this still go on the vehicle history report? I think if it is on the vehicle history report, people would be less likely to buy your vehicle, but if the report is clean and there are no visual or other issues after it is repaired I don;t think it would lower the value much.

They Might total the Truck... Glass and Interior can get expensive.

Ouch. Sometimes accidents dont go on the vechicle history report. when my moms camry was hit on the side and sustained quite a bit of rear end damage, nothing was ever found when we ran a report from carfax. so who knows.

I like what you said Kris. The wrecker driver even mentioned it because of the odd angle of the impact.

Because the shop is independent, I don't think he will be required to report anything. At least I hope so.

Sorry to here about it.
Kris had probably the best thought, sorry.
It cost me $1200 to fix the drivers door that I had backed into w/Volvo. Ford door skin, paint blend... The glass, especially the rear cargo, is trey expensivo ! And to top it all off look at the blue book for the EX's now. Talk about reverse sticker shock ! If they do total it, you can buy it back for salvage and parting out. My son has a ranger and would love to drop in your clean V6.

Originally posted by AgExplorer

With all the broken glass, I have requested the seats and carpet to be replaced. I don't want the slightest chance that a tiny shard of glass get stirred up and end up in anyone's eyes, especially my son's.

I am very enterested in what happens here. I really don't think they will change out the seats and carpet. Those two things are very expensive.

You are right on way account, that glass gets everywhere. As you might know I bought my "X" wrecked and the pass. window was broke. We are still finding pieces of glass that come out from under the dash after four wheeling.

Good luck

Glass is a PIA! My front door finnaly no longer rattles. I do however still find glass in the cargo area from the break I got well over a few years ago. Its mostly stuck in cracks and wiggles out over time.

If they don't replace all that stuff maybe have them pull everything out, get it all real cleaned up good and that probably would help more then anything.

Yup my door just stopped rattling and my dash also just stopped rattling from all the broken glass in it. I just had the drivers window break. However because of the accident I had they said the other windows were scratched and had to be replaced and that rear side window( the one on the side of the cargo compartment) is really expensive Helfman Ford charged around 1200(if my memory is correct) for just that one piece.

I talked to the trucking company's insurance rep yesterday afternoon. The adjuster said it was a borderline total. After inquiring about how they would handle the $2200 for rebuilding the tranny in April and the loss of value for the driver's bad judgement, he said that they would probably total it. Of course, it would be his boss's decision. Hopefully, we'll find out early next week. I will be calling a lawyer who specializes in this type of stuff and see what we can do to get a new or very close to new vehicle. I just don't think it's fair that I should have to go into debt because of some guy's poor driving decisions.

I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread. I have a friend who's brother is in a band called Hit By a Semi. Anyway, I think that you are handling this very well and good luck with everything.

Originally posted by Kris Guilbeaux
They Might total the Truck... Glass and Interior can get expensive.

woudn't they then have to buy him a new one?

He would most likely get mid bluebook for it.

it can be nogotiated. If he has all the receipts for any mods, that also helps.......

i doubt his insurance co. would pay for mods, unless he told them ahead of time about the mods. they would pay for a stock X.

Well guys, the X is totaled. We'll get a check next week Monday, maybe sooner. After seeing it in the daylight, it was a big mess. No visible structural damage but enough around the doors and windows to wonder how many leaks and how much wind noise would show up over time.

We bought a 2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition last night. They had a deal on a few of them that were about $2000 below invoice. It was too good to be true and we wanted a bigger vehicle. My son's only concern was that it had a TV/VCR which it did.

I hope I can find a board like this one with a bunch of wonderful Expedition owners. I'll continue to lurk and offer advice from my experience with the Explorer. And of course, I'll be recommending AMSOIL products every chance I get. ;)

Many thanks to each of you for your advice and witty humor. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Back