Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download)

You've got two things working against you when you weld to the frame. The odds are that neither one would happen, but why chance it. One, the frame is heat treated. When you weld the frame you'll weaken that part of the frame, thus creating a weak spot. Not a good thing to try to pull the truck out with a weakened frame. Two, when heating up the frame you increase the odds that you'll warp the frame itself. This will also weaken the frame itself. Neither one of those are bringing up the fact that the weld better be perfert for the most strength.

The bolts that are used in the tow hook kits are all grade eight and rated at 10,000 pounds. If you break the bolt I'd love to see what you were pulling. I've seen the hook itself snap in half during side-pulls, but never the bolt. Look at it like this, when was the last time you saw a winch welded to the frame? I hope never. The odds are that you won't run into trouble welding to the frame, if(when) you do run into trouble, make sure I'm standing very very far away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

leebo is completely right. welding deterierates the metal and weakens it by moving the molecules around to an uneven structure (chemistry major coming through). grade 8 bolts will hold more than the hook itself. and if you're uncomfortable with grade 8 bolts, get "super" grade bolts from a tractor supply store. if you break those bolts, then you must have been trying to pull the earth out of orbit!!

Ok then where is a good place to get grade 8 bolts? I see your point. Does Home Depot sell grade 8 bolts or do I need to visit the bolt area of Pep Bro

i know ace hardware definately sells them. they have grade 8 bolts and 8.8. i'm not 100% sure what the difference between 8 and 8.8 is, but i'm guessing that they're stronger. that's why i got mine from, but i'm sure home depot has some too. just make sure they're stainless or zinc coated (i think that's what they coat them with to make it rust resistant).

Originally posted by Blue Steel
leebo is completely right.

Never saw those words before. :D

The kit of tow hooks that you buy come with grade eight bolts that are done tested at more than you need. If you really wana go bigger, Home Depot sells them.

over 2000 posts and you've never seen those words?? jeez. tough crowd!!

Na, Just honest :D

Originally posted by leebo
The bolts that are used in the tow hook kits are all grade eight and rated at 10,000 pounds. If you break the bolt I'd love to see what you were pulling. I've seen the hook itself snap in half during side-pulls, but never the bolt.

leebo is right, I ripped both of my tow hooks off and the bolts and the hook were not damaged at all. The frame was what gave way.
Here is what I was trying to pull...
Here is what came off my X...
Here is what it hit...
The 3" strap didn't break either... I am bolting the hooks to the sides of the frame rails this time...

that must have scared the mess out of the guy in the truck with your hooks hitting his truck. adds insult to his already stuck in the mud

Yea, the guy in the passenger seat was freaked, but he said he didn't even see it coming. Just all of the sudden he had a lap and face full of glass. The only things that stopped the hook from going through the window was the fact that it hit the hood first and that we were using a 3"x30' strap that was nice and wet and muddy. If it had been a 2"x20' I think it would have went right through. I am just glad noone got hurt. It ended up taking three full size p-ups pulling from the rear to get him loose.

Well after the no welding thing, I have been thinking of getting some grade 8 bolts long enough to go through the top and bottom of the frame. My current estimates are a 5" bolt. I just have to get the bolts...I dont plan on wheelin soon so I have a ton of time. I was going to put them on the back too, I am thinking of just getting the adaptor for the receiver. Splash what were u saying about going through the sides?
v v
[] []
^ ^

Newer saw the frame rip out like that.. but theres always a first!

Weren't you taught to play nice with those Chevys? :confused:

Does anyone see a problem with going with Will's idea and having the bolts go through the top and bottom of the frame? It seems like a good idea to me, and it will save from taking the bumper off.

It seems like it would work. Isn't the frame in the front and back squared, like boxed i guess. I know in the middle it is c channel. I would just be afraid of it twisting the frame on a hard pull or something like that. I welded a piece of tubing between the frame on my front end before i welded tow hooks to that. I guess anyway will work, if it's going to break, it's going to break something along with it!

Happy trailes!

The frame in front is boxed so I don't see how it would twist anything. ???

Well as soon as it stops raining I am gonna take some measurements and I will keep you all informed. I am going to do this for the front only. I have a class IV hitch in the rear so I will be buying a hook for it. I need to figure what kind of drop I need to install to and what materials I will use for that

If you got the hitch for the rear it's simple. Either use a beefy pin with a tow strap around it, or the shackle type that warn sells. Both work great and the shackle will cost about 30 or so.. the pin is about 5

Dead Link Removed

Leebo what are the benefits of a shackle type...does that pin remove so that you can slide on a strap? So I imagine it is better than a hook?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This slides into your receiver just like a trailer hitch would. To put on a strap just un-screw the chackle and hook the strap around, then screw it back up. There's no real benifits, just makes things really easy.

Back