Is enough enough or should I go for MORE??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is enough enough or should I go for MORE???

Enough Enough??

• Enough IS enough leave it!

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Enough is NEVER enough go for more!

Votes: 50 87.7%

• Total voters
is Enough Enough??

Rick, you must be losing it! You have done more to your X than anyone, but you must know......

ITS NEVER FINISHED!!

Keep on with the mods, its the only way to finding true happiness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go for it!!

you have the most impressive explorer ever.
soon you will be able to ride over any terrain, anywhere in the world. maybe we'll see you on that Guiness Primetime show for having the worlds most capable off road vehicle. ; )

Rick,
I have to ask you one question.. Are you soft?!?!?!

I am shocked you would even ask the question, should I do more....

You know the answer is yes! This disease is not cureable, it only goes away when we get too old. You're not getting old, are you? ;)

I'd be interested in seeing Baja's pics of a TTB with better droop than your solid axle. Of course if that happens, the rest of us ahve a whole new list of things to consider...

J

Rick! What are you thinking?!?! i saw tons of rocks and ledges and trails....that you've yet to defeat at Attica! I think ya need to build it till ya can take on Mission Impossible there! Then it may be complete!
Pete

Until you can literally drive your truck up to a telephone pole and walk one tire up it until your rear bumper drags the ground, you ain't finished. And even then you might not me done. What's left to do though? How 'bout a V8? Coilovers all around with in-cab adjustable ride height? "Magic" driveshafts that allow the axles to come completely separated and still be driven? Like a big telescoping thing or something, so that the only limit to the flex is your shocks. :smoke: Whatever pops your cork man.

BislamJoe, I can already do that!:D It's no problem to put a front tire on anything and drive right up until the rear bumper drags.

I took a friend for a night run and drove up a solid rock wall until the spare tire was touching the ground. Then I turned off the ignition and killed the lights so we had a great view of the stars!!

I can just hear that guy on the left......

"Look, if we talk him into it, I can afford to pierce a few more body parts!"

Man, thats crazy. You should go all out. Next on the list should be a 302 swap Dead Link Removed

Correct me if I'm wrong Rick, but isn't a 302 your next BIG project?

Believe it or not a 302 really isn't in my plans. I have always been happy with the V-6. More power in this thing will just mean more breakage...

It don't matter how strong ya build it... I have seen 2 1/2 ton military axles break in light weight rock buggies with small blocks.

Oknut is a prime example... he twisted his brand new driveshaft like a pretzel with the power of his small block.

Adding a stronger engine just starts another chain of events. If I was going to be playing in the mud or the sand all the time then I would be tempted to get more HP. For the slow stuff the V-6 suits me just fine.

Nitrous might be fun to play with though... that way I could just hit the button while playing in the mud or sand and blast through a tough section which I might not be able to otherwise handle.

Rick
What about helping us others do some mods? I'm working on new beams from camburg. I could use some sponsership. =D

I just thought I would post an update to this project. Bizzarre story.

I was washing the Explorer one day and happened to be spraying the shocks with the garden hose. All of a sudden the shock starts spewing oil in a 10 foot long stream as thin is a needle lead.

What must have happened is that the water pressure knocked a piece of the nickel plating off the shock. The plating must have been covering a bad weld. This happened only a week or so after these photos were taken.

It took about 2 month to get the shock back, no fault of Bilsteins. It was the shop who neglected to send them out.

So now I have the shocks back, but I haven't re-installed them since I still won't be able to take advantage of the awesome travel. Money has been a bit tight with all of the trips I've taken this year so the mods have to wait a bit longer.

Oh and the list is growing :)

Care to divulge on how the list is growing? Or will you let them become public as they're done?
Pete

No secrets here.

*Either rebuild the 4.0 or swap for a 5.0 (it just seems to need a top end job right now)

*Coilovers or other mod to allow for the full travel

*Interior mods, integrated storage

*Possibly install longer rear leaf springs to gain additional droop

*Nitrous? Supercharger?

Hehe, sounds like once money comes available, you got the nice list of mods to do Rick!
Pete

Well this project is back in the forefront. I have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket and I'm about ready to make some changes.

Funny thing is I STILL haven't decided which way to go, but the coil overs are sounding better all the time.

I can get the coil overs for $620 a pair and the fab work should be about a grand.

Going with long coil springs and relocating the buckets would probably cost half of that, but I would still be thinking coil overs in the back of my mind. What to do... what to do...:confused:

I may go with a different fab shop this time. I have done some checking around and have found some really good guys who aren't nearly as busy as FST. They do good work, but I don't want to be without my rig for another few months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just enough $$$ :D

Back