• Register Today It's free!

4x4 button

tworx

Reaction score
City, State
Zephyrhills, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
My 4x4 button has no effect when pushed, not even clicking, so per information on this forum I unplugged the top connector on the controle module, turned key to on and pushed the white test button on the controle module. What I got was a constant red light on the controle module. According to the info this means that their is problems with the processor board. Is this correct? How accurate is this test?

Thanks for any help

That is correct. I would assume that it is 100% accurate, since it is meant to be there. Someone else will correct me if I am wrong though. I have pushed that button twice since I have owned my truck, both times I got a flashing light, and both times my shift motor needed to be cleaned and then 4x4 would work again. I would say that if you are not even getting any clicking from the rear like you should, then it is definitely a problem with the processor board.

There is a solenoid on the back of the transfer case that get dirty. I have had that happen to me and I got out and took a small rock a LIGHTLY tapped on it and it worked fine. You could try that but only tap lightly.

You need to disconnect the 5-wire and 8 wire connectors from the control module. Then push the white "TEST" button. A flashing of the LED indicates that the module is fuctioning properly. A steady light indicates that the control module is in-operative. If the control module passes the self-test, then you need to check else where for your problem. Clean the module connectors real well with a pencil eraser. I have fixed several Rangers and Explorers by doing this. Saves a lot of money and aggrevation. The other common problem is the shift motor on the back of the T-case. These get crudded up from NON-use.

Back