• Register Today It's free!

mechanic ripping me?

explorer4

Reaction score
City, State
palm harbor, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer sport
i brough my 92 x into the shop because of a miss, the mechanic said i need a new throttle body because mine is kina scratched inside, is that really why its miss so bad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take it to another mechanic.First do a search and you can probally solve your problem yourself:D

bunch of BS. it might be related to your TPS, but not the TB itself.

He's full of you know what. Go somewhere else.

yeah it turned out to be a broken wire ccasing on the mass air, i fixed it and it runs good as new, the only thing is the oil smell is a leaky valve cover, how hard is that to fix, is it a do ityourselfer or what and how much thanks

Vavle cover job is easy but you have to move a few thing take your time should take a couple of hour and cost about 25 with gaskets and sealer,i did mine about a year ago pretty straight forward job.Hope this helps

i read how to do it, and it said you have to take the ac compressor off and some other ****, is that true wont i lose my freon and have to get it recharged if i take that off

As long as you don't remove the hoses from the compressor when you remove it, you won't lose any freon. Just take the bolts out that hold the compressor to the engine and you should be able to move it out of the way enough to get the valve cover off

While you're down there you might want to replace the lower intake manifold gasket if you haven't done so and have a few miles on your X... it's not uncommon for those to leak. I just replaced mine last weekend.

Check your left valve cover closely. It may be rusting away.

if your TB is scratch inside, air would still flow in, right?

too much scratch, as in a deep drill scratch would only resulted in turbulance of air flowing in.

he's full of it. come back and educate him about airflows.

Back