Truckhaven Once Again | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truckhaven Once Again

Rick,
So instead of the normal spot where we camp off of marina drive. You're going to camp over off that one street. I cant remember the name, but i know how to get to the spot where you guys camped at tds. Just confirming that this is the place.
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll so my best to describe the spot. Take S22 towards Borrego from Salton City. In just a couple miles you will start going up a hill with some winding curves. At the top of the hill you will take a right on a dirt road that has a Road Closed sign. Follow that down about 1/4 mile and we will be camping on the ridge up there.

My dad and i should be arriving between 8-9 on sat. Did you want to start earlier than that? I guess we're going to be taking my truck instead of both rigs. We're going to make it a day trip, since my mom keeps reminding us that sunday is mothers day.

I'm there! I missed out driving on the official run, so here's my chance to stretch out my new legs before Moab. Jefe and I should be heading down there right after work on Friday. See ya!

That time sounds good Brian. We never get moving before that :D

See ya there John.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=316764

The above link should bring up the map. It says the second right at the top, but I believe the first right is not quite at the top so at the top take the first right... I'll have a serious explorations sign there with the lettering facing traffic going towards Boreggo.

So is anyone else going to be there tomorrow night??

The wether for T-haven: Friday night, winds 20-30 mph with gusts to 40 mph:eek: decreasing late. Saturday, highs 83-93, no wind mentioned.

I'll be there Friday eve, or possibly not till Sat morning.

Man... that could REALLY suck with the high winds. I'm going to try an buy some dirtbike googles before I leave!

BTW, I'm bringing 4 bags of wood. Bring it if you got it :D

With that kind of wind, I may need to re-evaluate driving out without my hardtop. And Jefe and I may be sleeping in our trucks if we can't set up our tent. (The tent still hasn't recovered from the last windstorm at Truckhaven!)

I may have problems driving out there myself. With the camper and trailer high winds are brutal and I don't want to land on my side... again.

This isn't sounding good to me... they are now saying gusts up to 50MPH...

Jefe and I checked and current weather shows 10-13mph with no warnings of high winds today or for the weekend. Weather.com said maybe gusts to 20 this morning and then they would die down. Didn't check for any travel warnings from your direction though.

This weather report really worries me...

I'm not going to leave until later tonight. If the winds die down tonight I will drive as far as I can, sleep awhile at a truck stop and continue on. I hope to be at T-haven no later than 9-9:30. If you can give me some cell phone numbers I will contact you to let you know where I am. Sorry, but the camper and trailer combo can get real squirrly in high winds.

--------------------------------------
URGENT-WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA
1000 AM PDT FRI MAY 10 2002

...WIND ADVISORIES IN EFFECT FOR MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS...
.STRONG ONSHORE PRESSURE GRADIENTS AND WINDS ALOFT WILL COMBINE TO
PRODUCE LOCAL WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 50 MPH. BLOWING DUST AND
SAND WITH VISIBILITY LESS THAN 1/4 MILE IS POSSIBLE OVER THE EAST
SLOPES...DESERT AND VALLEY FLOORS. TRAVEL WILL BE
DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR MOTORISTS DRIVING HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES.

CAZ055-102200-
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-

...WIND ADVISORY UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT...

FOR AREAS OF SOUTHWEST WINDS 35 TO 45 MPH WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER 50
MPH...MAINLY OVER RIDGES...THROUGH PASSES...AND DOWN CANYONS OPENING TO
THE NORTH AND EAST. LOCAL BLOWING DUST AND SAND ALONG NORTH AND EAST
FOOTHILLS WITH VISIBILITY LESS THAN 1/4 MILE.

$$

CAZ056-058-102200-
RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-

FOR LOCAL WEST TO SOUTHWEST WINDS 35 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 50
MPH...MAINLY OVER RIDGES...THROUGH PASSES...AND DOWN CANYONS OPENING TO
THE EAST. LOCAL BLOWING DUST AND SAND ALONG EASTERN FOOTHILLS WITH
VISIBILITY LESS THAN 1/4 MILE.

$$

CAZ060-102200-
APPLE AND YUCCA VALLEYS-

...WIND ADVISORY UNTIL 900 PM PDT TONIGHT...

FOR SOUTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER 50 MPH. LOCAL
BLOWING DUST AND SAND WITH VISIBILITY LESS THAN 1/4 MILE.

$$

CAZ061-062-102200-
COACHELLA VALLEY-
SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS-

FOR LOCAL WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS 25 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 50 MPH.
LOCAL BLOWING DUST AND SAND WITH VISIBILITY LESS THAN 1/4 MILE.

---------------------------------------------

I went to the weather channel and indio has had gusts of up to 20. There was a steady wind 13. But i know what is at indio and what is out farther are different. Are we still on for tomorrow or are we playing it by ear? Just let us know.

Jefe and I are still on. We're heading out at 5pm and it usually takes us 3 1/2 hours with little traffic, so with 5 o'clock traffic ??

BTW, I'll have my four boys with me and a friend. That should be enough ballast to keep the tent from completely blowing away.

I'm still in, and will get out there 9ish on Saturday.

I'm out... while I was waiting around this afternoon. I decided to rip my motor apart and replace the heads, rocker shafts, and pushrods.

It's nearly apart now. just have to take off the lower manifold and pull the heads.

Who knows, at this rate I might be out there for the night run tomorrow night. Don't count on it though...

WTF !?! :confused:

Bill, Rick got a set of Reconditioned heads for $270....so he is replacing them.... YES, Rick is wierd....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Bill.. and everyone else... I wasn't going to drive into a wind storm with 50mph winds in my camper pulling a trailer. Just not my idea of fun. All I could go by was the forecast I pulled up which said the winds were that high throughout So. Cal. There were high wind advisories on I-10 in AZ and CA. It did get very windy in Phoenix today. We had a dust storm over here in the afternoon.

So... at about 3pm I gave up on the idea of heading out to Thaven and ripped my motor apart.

Back