Check This Out! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check This Out!

Does anyone know, or has, made their own wiring harness? If so what do I need?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I have 2 Fog lights @55W each.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? Someone has to have wired up some lights...

Dude wiring up fog lights is easy. what do you want to know? You can go to pep boys and buy a prebuilt fog light install kit for about $15.

I want to wire these up (as I have no pre-done harness) and have them connected to either the ignition or parking light through a relay.

I don't know which I should do, or what would be easiest. Tapping into a wire that is hot only when the ignition is on or one that is controlled by the parking light.

Just so I can't leave them on all night.

I know Taxxman did something like this but he had the factory relay to use, which I don't.

Thanks!

IN a 95 Explorer you can tap into a acc power feed wire under your hood, in that big black power distribution box.

I have my PIAA's wired so I cannot leave them on, they go off withthe truck. It is fairly simple, you just have to locate the proper wire in that box. First take the box off it's mount, and then open it up (it's easy) Any red wire under there will work for your switched power wire (not for your power feed but for the relay/switch power)

rig up a relay using the side marker light... i did... it only works with the parking lights and headlights...you will need the 12v + from the marker light as a constnat power wore, but will need to use it a switched power...let the relay run the lights and the parking light tap run the relay...

10-4

Any wire Inside the box. Do I just splice into it and volia. Also I am probably going to have to get the relay at Radio Shack...Say in the future I want to run 100W bulbs rather than the 55W currently.

So are the relays based on Watts or Amps?

So 410 and Jim..

Which would you say is easier, well actually better.

I think I want to be able to run them with the ignition on rather than the parking lights.

So let me make sure I am not snafu.

1. Switch completes ground for relay? or lights?
2. Hot comes from splicing into red wire in power distributor box?

i made this before you wanted to run it off the park lights.... but should be the same more or less

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 215

Fischer, bring it by sometime. I can help you wire em up.

Back