Ramp Travel Index | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ramp Travel Index

H

HIX

It is good to have a CPU again! My old one froze and I was w/out Explorations for a whole week! It was rough I tell ya!

Anyway, I have a few questions about RTI.
I know the formula for it using a ramp is

inches traveled up the ramp

divided by

wheelbase

multiplied by

Easy enough right? My problem is that I don't have a ramp. There is another formula
using the fork of a forklift to lift the front tire. Example--a stock 97 tj's tire lifted 18 inches, it's wheelbase is 93.5 inches and the guy said it's ramp was 562. For the life of me I can't find the formula he used to get the forklift RTI.

I lifted the right front of my 91' sport and got 18.5 before the r-rear started to leave the ground and I want to find out the RTI.

Little help here??

------------------
HIX

hey hix it has something to do with the pythagorean theorem which is --- in a right triangle the hypotenuse squared is equal to the sum of the squares of the other sides. --- the hypotenuse is the longest side of the triangle which is opposite the right angle. so .... ( for instance the height side is 6" and the length -bottom- is 8" that makes the hypot. 10" ... 10 squared is 100 which equals 6 squared -36- plus 8 squared -64-) cool - damn i can't believe i remember this s&@! ... let me think ... hypothetically we're using a 23 degree ramp right... so... the height side of the triangle is 18.5" and if you drop a plumb from the centerline or front tread thats a bit of discression i dont know if there is a standard or not but anyway drop a plumb there and use a straight edge and a smart level - they are so cool- find 23 degrees at your measure point hub center, tread whatever... that will give you the length by pointing to a spot on the ground ... now you have both sides of the right angle use the pythagorean theorem to get the distance traveled up the ramp. right guys huh right makes sense righhhht c'mon guys somebody back me up here. anyway i think thats how it goes, what is the wheelbase on the truck mine is xlt so i dont know yours but ... i have a smart level at work and im gonna try this theory, one day this week or next i'll use both the tread height and the hub center but the more i think about it i think its the tread height on the ramp straight down then measure back to the end of the ramp. anyway good luck and get back to me ill let you know what i come up with ... hey brain fart i just thought of something if you have access to a forklift and can get a smart level get a strong piece of whatever you can drive on, then set it on the forks til the level reads 23 degrees and then you have it . let me know how that works.

dodger

[This message has been edited by Kyle K. (edited 04-20-99).]

hey hix i jsut finished the math after i found the wheelbase is 101.7 ... i used 102... the hypotenuse is 44.375 - roughly - and it works out to 435 on a 23 degree ramp. so there you go!

Kyle-
Thanks for the help! I was stumped. I just went down to 31" tires so I will do it again and see how my mathmatical abilities hold up!

------------------
HIX

Back