new thread for the pines run 5-6-00 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new thread for the pines run 5-6-00

I had an awesome time on Sat. Thanks Tank, Eagle, and everyone else breaking me in. On the way home, I stopped at a Wawa to get a soda, and when I came out a woman in an explorer just kept staring at me and the truck. I finally rolled down the window and told her I got lost. Boy did she die laughing.

I got the pictures developed and the came out great, especially the ones where my tire was off the ground. I showed my friend the pictures and now he's hooked. He wants to go next time with his Expedition (stock) and see what he can do. I will get the negatives developed and sent to me via email so I can send the out. I will only send the good ones and bring the rest the next time I go out with you guys.

Overall, there was no real body damage. I cleaned the truck today and the only thing I noticed was the edege of my driverside running board was scraped aliite. Not bad. As soon as I get some extra cash, I think i'm gonna put on some 31's, so I can get a little extra lift. Next time I wanna try to get some pictures of me driving through some water. Talk to you guys soon, and thanx again

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
Manik Pushbar & Tailight Gaurds
More to Come Before Summer :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saturday was fun, Norman and his stocker were unbelivable, i would also like to see them pictures , Bob, well what can i say he was a fantastic guide i could not belive he knew his way around them trails that good i would go back.

I have some work to get done to the truck such as manual hubs, and a new anttena (Recomend any special one?) before i head out on another run hopefully i get this work done by the end of the week.

------------------
*91 EB *
-5.5 Superlift
-33" tires
-American racing rims
-borla hedders
-chip
-modified air box
-Gibson preformance exhaust
-4:56 gears

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I guess this was an excellant weekend for Explorers across the country. One of these days I'll attend an East Coast run and meet you guys.

If you want to write up a trip report I would be glad to add it to the site with some photos.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

Tank,

Glad to see your trip went well. I've gotten the bug for off roading myself, thanks to some great guys out west. I'm pretty much willing to join you in the east for a day or two of wheeling if I am off work on any particular weekend, and if it is within a reasonable distance.

I'll keep an eye out for any upcoming activities.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

the more the merrier... our usual site is definately NOT stocker friendly.... at pendell you definately need some lift ...a little oversized tires with a little more agressive tread ... ( lots of deep slimy mud )

but this pines run was great ..it was fun.. stocker friendly but has obstacles to make it fun for bigger badder trucks ..... and it is huge .... i would like to plan another trip for june ( give us time to recover from the paragon trip ) i would like to have 10 + trucks there, start a little earlier ... head out by 9:00 or so and stay a little longer and have evryone go to dinner together .... it is quite a sight when a bunch of muddy trucks pull up and park together....hmmmmm maby we should go to a stewarts root beer stand ....there is one right near me .... just like the ones in the 50's you pull up and the waitresses come to your car and all ..... that would be prety cool too ....lunch at the pic-a-lilly and dinner at stewarts and wheeling in between !!!!

what do you all think ?

------------------
if you never get stuck, you just arent playing hard enough

Fortunately God looks out for fools and 4-wheelers, or am I being redundant.

Hey gang, sounds like you had a great time last weekend. It was definately a great Explorer weekend nationwide. I don't know if I'll ever make it out that far east, but you never know.....

Tank, I just read through this thread and can answer a couple of questions you brought up. Those 12v impact wrenches can cost up to $120 if you go to PepBoys or someplace like that, but I found one for $59.95 through the Fingerhut mailorder catalog, or for another $20 you can get it in a plastic kit box with spare tools and other items. Fingerhut is an old household gadget mailorder catalog company. Your momma or granma probably bought kitchen stuff out of it when you were a kid.

HiLift Jacks are made in 3, 4, and 5 ft lenghts. Most buy the 4ft HiLift. The 3ft is too short and the 5ft one is more expensive and a lot more ornery to fit and carry around.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 05-11-2000).]

Tank,

The weekend of June 10th would be good for me. I get off night shift on June 9th, and I'm not due back to work until Monday evening of the next week. That would give me time to wash the truck properly. I can probably make it June 17th as well, as I actually have 2 weekends off in a row, which is rare.

Where is Jersey Pines? Is it in western Jersey? That's about 7-8 hours away, so it would not be too much of a hassle to get there.

I'm pretty much stock, so Pendell is probably out for me, especially considering my lack of experience. Have you considered any trails in western PA? I can't remember the name of the place off hand, but there are some trails for 4WD somewhere in that area. Maybe we can get the Illinois people to come if it is within a day's drive.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

thanks for the info gjarret i got my hi-lift in yesterday and will be mounting it today ...i got the hl-485 4' its the one made from all cast steel ( stronger ) ... i had to cut the last 3" off so it would fit where i want it ..but its still plenty long....

i have a 12v impact wrench and used it on eagles truck on the pines run ... it worked better than incredible ! .... now eagle wants one and i think j91 does too .... it doesnt look like i can get any more where i bought mine ...so they will be happy to hear of a place to get it .... worth whatever the cost ..... we changed a 35x15.5 swamper sx in about 15 minutes !

as for the 10th or 17th ....what do you think guys ? i would think the 17th is better because eagle, j91 and i, and someone else i think are going to paragon memorial day weekend and might need some time before we plan another long day.....

who is in ?

------------------

Well I just purchased the electric impact gun from FingerHut. It was 59.95 plus 10 dollars for express shipping. I cost a total with tax 70 and change. It looks similar to TANKS. It comes in a plastic case. Holds 4 or 5 nuts cigarette lighter or battery hook-up and is capable of 220 pounds of torch. The gun itself looks a little different. Actually a little better. You do not have a handle to get in the way of any valve stems. Check them out:

http://www.fingerhut.com
Go to the HARDWARE section.
Then AUTOMOTIVE
Next ACCESSORIES

Or try this link

www.fingerhut.com/cgi-bin/tuhf/temp...me=Fingerhut&form%app_key_value-bv_dept=YE387

Another Pinny run sounds great. How about a camp over. The 10th or 17th sounds fine My vote would be for the 17. I expect to be doing a lot of repairs after Paragon.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
Drilled Airbox
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Where are we going???
And why are we in a hand basket???

[This message has been edited by Eagle (edited 05-11-2000).]

i got the spare mounted with the hi-lift ...it looks great ! and it is not going anywhere i jumped a few curbs and tried to shake it but it didnt budge. Dead Link Removed

i was worried about the location ..i thought it might give me a big blind spot but i dont even see it in the rear view mirror.

im not ready for a camp over yet but the 17th sounds good....

2 weeks left til paragon Dead Link Removed ..... im goint to post in the paragon thread .... any one going or interested please check it out

------------------

one more question ....anyone have any pictures yet ?

im dying to see them

------------------

i got the four wheeler top truck challenge videos for my birthday a while back .... last night i was watching them for the 3rd time and picked up something i had missed the first 2 times ..... at least one of the guys before he did the mud bog sprayed his entire truck with wd-40 and after he was done it was just a quick hose job to wash it off.

------------------

Eagle,
I LOVE your new additional signature line! I busted out laughing when I saw it and my supervisor came over to find out what was so funny...

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Thanks JGARRETT. I was thinking about putting the saying on my back window. That just sealed it. As for pictures I have not developed any yet. Usually I am on top of these things. To tell you the truth I don’t even remember were I put the 2 rolls of film Dead Link Removed So I have 2 weeks to get my truck back into some sort of order. We I am going to go plum crazy with a glue gun this weekend and fix all of those annoying rattles. If it moves it is going to be glued.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
Drilled Airbox

Where are we going???

did anyone remember to clean out or replace their air filter ?!?!?!?

i didnt remember till friday night, the tank was running like crap ...all that dust had it really clogged up .... i did a quickie cleaning but need to get k&n filter cleaner and filter oil to do it right ...but i already feel the difference...

well ... how did it go with the glue gun ?

how much more do you need to do before the trip ?

------------------

Hey guys, I got my pics developed. They came out great. I just need to go back to the store so I can have the negatives done. As soon as I get them i'll send them. I have to check my schedule, if i'm off, I be down there again. Think i'm working the 17th, but kep me posted. I hosed off the airfilter a few days after the run, then hit the engine with a power washer last week. Power washing actually work. It even cleaned sections of the frame. Now i know how to clean the truck after a day of playing in the mud Dead Link Removed. Hopefully by then i'll have some larger tires. talk to you guys soon.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
Manik Pushbar & Tailight Gaurds
More to Come Before Summer :)

Well I found one roll of film. Got it developed. And it’s nothing to write home about. The second roll is still in the camera. I never got to the glue gun. I finally broke down and bought a power washer. Spent roughly 1 hour chiseling off the mud. Which at this point had turned into cement with all the sun and heat we been getting. On a sad note my tire is toast. I found a ¾ inch slash on it. I dropped it off to get repaired. Hopefully they can do something with it. Else I am looking at another 150 green backs. Dead Link Removed

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
Drilled Airbox

Where are we going???

holy #$^&%^& !!!

where was the hole ? inside wall, outside wall , or tread ?

where did you take it ?

------------------

Tank, assuming that a pines run is probably going to happen either June 10th or 17th, I'm going to start planning to make it.

What I'll probably do is drive out there on Friday and stay somewhere nearby. I'd like to wheel all day Saturday, do dinner, and possibly camp or stay somewhere. I'd also like to do at least 1/2 day of driving Sunday, then maybe do lunch either on the trail or elsewhere. After that, I would probably drive back home. It's about 8 hours from Cleveland to New Jersey, so I do need to set this up at least a little.

It's too bad I didn't react to the posts on Paragon, since I probably would have enjoyed some of the more moderate trails there.

I'm thinking of starting another thread once we can set a date for this. I guess we can see who'se interested first.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds good .... how do you feel about pendell for sunday 6-18 after the pines on 6-17 ... give you a wider experience

it sounds like the 17th is better for most people so lets just concentrate on that .....

ill start a thread for the 17th and 18th

------------------

Back