Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, we made it back and let me just say I wish I could have stayed the whole week. Winter and I had a blast with everyone out there! Now I know what mods I defenitely need to do which is taking off that tow hitch and the back bumper. Also I need some Mud-Terrains. I wanted to get up the "Dump Bump" bad... Oh well, next time, and there will be a next time for sure. A little bad luck for Bill and Tom, and others who broke parts, but all in all I think it was a successful trip. Anyway, thanks to everyone for making the trip woorth the drive, and I can't wait for the next one.

Colin Ignacio

p.s. Rick, I will get those pics to you ASAP.

Hi All,

Debby and I made it back without a hitch, arriving in Dana Point, CA about 2 PM today (Tue.). The field repair of the rear spring locating bolt and u-bolts worked fine, although before hitting the trail again, all will be replaced with Grade 8 components! Also, I think that the rear axle U-bolt nuts should be on our pretrip checklist. Matt may agree! I'm pretty sure loose u-bolts started the problem. Many thanks to all who helped me get going again, especially, of course, Darien and Paul B, but also Tom W for his thinwall 18mm socket and 1/4 x/1/2 " adapter, Jay for the come-along, Ryan for the hi-Lift, and all the moral support, both on the trail and back at the hotel, making the field fix more permanent. Thanks again guys! I'm also going to add a "BFH" to my O.R. toolbox, the little mechanics ballpeen just didn't cut it. I've always referred to a sledge as the "Ford fine adjustment tool" so I should have had one on board.

The trip was great, and it was really good to finally put faces with the names of folks who haven't been able to make the So CA runs. Hope we can make the next one!

Ray and Debby Hutchinson

------------------

I'm also back home. I left Moab at 10:00am and Char took off from Grand Junction at 5:15pm. We arrived in Phoenix within 15 minutes of each other!

Matt, I never heard how your ARB blew out. What's the story behind that?

Ray, I'm glad you made it back safely. I'm going to search my garage for those bolts and drop them in my "bag of tricks" immediately.

Collin, your run up Lion's Back looks great on video. I've showed it to a few friends already and they can't believe it.

Joe, I got your e-mail about something happening after you posted a URL. What happened? I do know that the whole thread disappeared and that's never happened before. Pretty weird.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-09-2000).]

Rick - I was also posting to the Return from Moab 2000 - and I think at the same time, because when I hit 'Submit Reply', the thread was gone!

Oh well.

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

Tom, what kind of camera do you have? It looked like a Kodak. Very nice quality. Super sharp and good color.

Is that HTML Gallery program available outside of the camera package?

I made it back to BigD about 6:30pm Tuesday.

It was great to put faces on all the names (especially you, Ray) and I must say I had an absolute blast! Running "Steelbender" made the trip for me.

Rick, if you got me doing Lion's Back I'd REALLY be interested in getting that video from you. I promise to post that picture of you and Char doing aerobatics on Potato Salad Hill as soon as I get the pictures developed. I'll send them in today.

To those who ran Top of the World, when Rob "Smiley the Big Dog" Robertson and I went back up on the way back to Texas, we took the top loop to the left and went clockwise around that last mile of trail instead of counterclockwise. It changed the whole personality of the run and ended up being a really fun obstacle climb up to the top. Something to remember the next time you're in Moab.

I'm thinking of making this a yearly vacation for me. Once again, it was great to finally meet everyone.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Rick - not sure what all I can tell you o n the story of the ARB since I'm not certain when it blew... I think it was either on double whammy or that obstacle on the top of GOld Bar Rim where I felt some tires leave the ground and heard a loud POP. Anyways, its tough to say, but it took out my ring and pinion in the process (shouldn't say took it out, but chipped it enough that it needs to be repaired), also needing to be repaired are all teh pinion bearings and pinion seals, total cost of repairs so far, about $1700. It was a fun trip though, glad I conquered my fears and accomplished Lions Back. Also glad that I was able to do double whammy first and be one of only four people to do it Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

Made it home last night (Tuesday). Pulled into my driveway at the stroke of midnight. After we (Rick & Char, Tom & Ralph, TC and ?, Tom Wilks, David-Dignan & myself) split up after doing the Shaefer Trail on Monday, I headed down to the Needles district of Canyonlands. Spend the night in Monticello. Tuesday I spend some time in the Antelope slot canyons near Page and then headed home.
Had a great time doing some of the runs myself and riding with Matt on some others. Thanks, guy, I really appreciate it. Sorry to hear about your locker and other collateral damage.
It's always great to renew old aquaintances and friendships and make new ones. In my opinion this is really a big part of these get-togethers, spending time with people of similar interests, learning new things and having a good time doing it.
Should have some pictures back by tomorrow night and post some then. I took some on slides and they will take a little longer.

Time to go now and clean up my truck. This red stuff from Shaefer trail after the rain sure sticks.

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

Well, I finally made it home myself after about 26 hours of driving. the trip went very smoothly except for the stone that cracked my windshield on I-70 going into Denver. And, if I hear another trucker on the CB, I think I'll commit suicide. (Just kidding, of course)

I must say, this has been a very enjoyable trip. I learned that my Explorer can do things I never thought it would be capable of. I had the pleasure of enjoying some great scenery. And most of all, I had the pleasure of meeting a great bunch of people.

Like Ray Hutchinson, I must thank all the people that helped me out along the way. Ray Laboto and Gerald helped me through my first real 4-wheeling adventure. Ryan and Brett provided company for part of the trip to Moab. They also gave me some valuable tips on climbing sand hill, after I had given up on it. Ray Hutchinson tuned my antenna (which had an SWR of 5+ before adjusting!). I think the list of people providing camaraderie is too long to list, so I won't even attempt. But most of all, I'd like to thank Rick and Char whose efforts made this great trip possible.

I'll be getting my pictures developed ASAP, and will find a way to post them or e-mail them to someone who has a way of posting them.

You people (and I mean everyone on the trip) are all great. I had never dreamed that these adventures could be so fun. I'm pretty much in a state of bliss after this trip, and I cannot wait for the next one (though I may not want to drive quite as far next time).

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Glad to hear you made it home safely Tom. Sorry to hear about the windshield. I also got a stone chip on the way home right in front of my radar detector.

Your 1600+ mile drive from Ohio really shows your commitment to the sport. We had a great time driving with you on Monday.

I hope to see you on the trail again.

Rick

Well, I'm finally home, after a short stay in Las Vegas. To the FAKARWE tribe. I sure hope you guys got some of my money back from Vegas, and it was a pleasure meeting and running with you both. Richard, Thanks for spotting me on that section before the big ledge. I got my eyes popped back in now Dead Link Removed
Gerald, Tom, Barry, Gerry and Sarah, It was also a great pleasure meeting and running with you all. To all the rest Matt, Ray & Debbie H.,Paul B., Darien, Colin and Peter from the Truck haven run, It was really good to see you all again. Paul Sabin, I love your truck, It's "phat" according to my Daughter that means it's really nice. Dead Link Removed and all the rest of the group. It also was a pleasure meeting and running with you guys too. Dead Link Removed Rick and Char, thanks for putting this all together, Sandy and I had a wonderful time. Dead Link Removed
Gerald, I am so glad we got together. I hope you can make it to Truck Haven next year.. I'll tell you I had such a good time doing Steel Bender with you. Oh and Sandy said it was ok to talk to you. Dead Link Removed
Colin, Winter took some video of me going down those steps on Steel Bender, I would really like to get ahold of that. Would you be so kind as to see if he would email it or something. Dead Link Removed

Oh! one more thing. My check engine light came back on again after leaving Moab, so it's going into the shop Friday. It stayed on all the way home. I reset the computer 2 other time and it still came back, so Moab did something to my truck also.
------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 05-10-2000).]

Ray -
Thanks for the kind words about the rig - - especially with dozens of great Explorers out in Moab last week.

Terri and I left on Monday morning at 2:30 a.m., arriving back at Leavenworth at about 6:30 p.m. It was great seeing everyone again and meeting new folks for the first time.

Now I just need to repair the slight damage caused by offering a sacrificial fender flare to the rock gods - - anyone got an extra passenger side rear Bushwhacker Extend-a-Fender flare for a Sport ??? Dead Link Removed

Thanks Rick, Char, and Ford, for a great weekend.

Paul

Rick - it's a Kodak DC280, set on the small setting! Since I can take about 260 pics before having to clear the camera, (64mb flash card is great.). I just snapped pictures galore (figuring I'd get a few great pics - and I did!) All the reviews rave about it's great picture taking quality (esp. outdoors!), and after Moab, I can vouch for it! The software I used is from a package called gphoto - which runs under Linux/Unix. That's right, my laptop/computers are all MS free. I'd reccomend this camera to everyone - with it's USB interface, great pictures, and easy to use features, it's a only down fall is price. (about $500-$600 depending on who/where you buy it from.)

As for breaking out the HTML gallery portion - I'd have to check and see. http://www.gphoto.org is where I get the software from - they may have a way of breaking it out!

As for damage to the truck - I'm ignoring the dings and dents until after Rubicon in July - two of the three dents are easy (front quarter, door - just replace them). The rear quarter is the bugger. I'm just very glad no one got hurt, and I didn't break any glass. The only thing I'm left to deal with is the hesitation problem. It appears to be the MAF sensor - the problem wasn't as bad when I started driving it back, and after cleaning it once, it drivability improved.

Gerald - only once a year? :)

Matt, TC, and Jay - sorry to hear about the ARB's breaking. At dinner on Saturday, one guy was saying ARB had redesigned the 8.8" locker, and was just releasing the new version this month!

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

Tom - great comments on your digital camera, I'll keep themin mind... I'm getting close to purchasing a new camera so that might be a good option...

As for the re-design of the ARB I was told the same thing, that it was basically the same except it uses 3 pinions instead of two... I'm hoping to get the new one and have it be free under warranty.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

Hi Everybody,

I had a GREAT time. I told Rick it was wonderful to be around people who are as much a smart ass as me. I have never been with such a large group of people who could handle my sense of humor. You guys are all great!!!! I hope I didn't offend anybody. If I did I'm sorry. I have gotten to the point in my life though where I live to make the most out of life. I can't wait to wheel again with y'all (for you Texans).

Ladies,

Rick and I talked some more about starting a forum for us ladies and we'll probably do that. Watch for it. We can talk shop and about the boys. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Char
93 Modified Exploder, Co-owner (passenger)& The Better (other) Half
I may be CRAZY (she is),.... BUT I'm not insane!(well...)

Think for yourself ...... Sheep end up dead!

Don't worry, Char, you didn't offend me. I enjoyed your company as well at that of all the others.

Ray and Gerald, I hope that you weren't offended by my running with a different group on Sunday and Monday. I just wanted to get to know as many of the group as possible. (OK, so the name "Steel Bender" was a bit intimidating for my first real 4-wheeling experience. I'll push the envelope a little more on the next trip. Dead Link Removed )

In my tired state last night, I completely forgot to say thanks to Ford for coming out and getting some ideas of what to do (and what NOT to do Dead Link Removed ) to make and keep the Explorer more off road capable. I didn't have a chance to discuss much with the Ford reps, but their presence was appreciated as was the dinner on Saturday night.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

Tom the whole idea of the trip is to have fun and you made the right choice for you! Plus, Ray does have the torsion lift so he's a little higher than you. He didn't do any damage but you never know what difference that extra 1.5"+ of height made.

And I also forgot to thank Ford. I had a blast with my "Ford Gal" Brit, and I hope Tim Quesnel has a great time up in Canada displaying the pictures of my "Texas Kleenex Box" that I sent him!

Gerald
<{{{><

Gerald,

I agree about the torsion lift; I wish I had it. I talked with Rick and found out that those Old Man Emu springs are being shipped or will be very soon, so I will be putting new leaves on the back. If I can get 2" on the back, I will definately lift the torsions about an inch or so. If I do get the springs, I'll be putting the original shackles back on, since these tend to hit the rear hitch when I really get to bouncing.

About that Texas Kleenex Box, I'm thinking of setting one up for myself, even if I don't use it much. Unfortunately, Ohio isn't quite as accepting about such things as Texas is. Dead Link Removed

I enjoyed Brit's company on our trip to the Top of the World as well. Likewise, she apparently enjoyed the trip. I was hoping to have someone involved in suspensions along with us as well to see what the nearly stock Explorer could do. I'm sure that they went back with some clear ideas on what the more modified Explorers can accomplish, as well as what had to be done to make them so trailworthy.

Back to reality, I had to cut the grass today. It was 8"+ tall!!! I used 3 1/2 large bags for the grass clippings, where I normally get by with one. Also, my mower needs a turbocharger. Dead Link Removed I really should have cut it before I left, but I ran out of time. Oh well, its done now.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, I'll bite....

What's a "Texas Kleenex Box"?

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Back