GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
The author of the excellent Moab trails guide we all just used (Charles Wells) has written two guides to Colorado trails. I am going to purchase both of them.

I would like to propose a "Colorado Explorers Serious Exploration" sometime this summer or fall to go fourwheeling into some of the old ghost mining towns, and also get a chance to get out and watch God put on a few of His shows in the theatre of the Rocky Mountains. I like the idea of tackling a good 4wd trail, going up to high elevations, and camping out with friends overlooking a valley of old ghost towns in the middle of the Rockies.

I am starting this thread at the suggestion of Rick and to guage interest. I know I am planning to do it one way or another and would like at least a few trail partners for the more difficult trails.

As a Texan, my first two preferences as to the trip dates would be either in the dead of summer when it's too d@$n hot to stay in Texas anyway, or in the fall when the leaves change color. I prefer a fall trip.

How about some feedback, especially from some of you Coloradoans?

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm up for a run... I'll probably be doing wheeling all over with the Mile High Jeep Club this summer so a fall colors run would be a nice little change. The two colorado books by Charles Wells are quite helpful though often undescriptive enough.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

Colorado offers some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen. I envy those that live in the Denver area (Matt, Ryan, Brett, etc.). They can wake up every morning and witness some awesome views of the mountains. Dead Link Removed

I definately won't be able to do a colors run this year, as I have the rest of my Vacation booked for the year. Next year is a different story, however.

If I had to choose right now between Truckhaven 2001 and Colorado Fall Colors 2001, I'd take Colorado. I confess that I don't know much about Truckhaven, though it looks like a very fun place. It's just that Colorado is about 1 day's drive closer than California. Dead Link Removed I only get 4 weeks of vacation time and I have some family obligations that will require the use of part of that vacation time.

I know that I shouldn't be looking too far into the future, but time flies on occasion and 2001 will be here before we know it.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

I'm up for it! Fall would be great for me, as I'm making a trip to the left coast to visit my folks, and do some wheeling in the Mojave desert.

I could route one leg of my trip up through Colorado, and hook up with everyone for a day or two for some more wheeling!

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

I'm in on this run, hopefully the calendar plays out though. Maybe my friend will let me use his modified explorer for this run instead of taking my stocker. I'm from Leadville originally so I'm definately used to the altitudes. Hope to make it and see as many of you as possible. Dead Link Removed

I too am up for a trip in Colorado. I have the second edition of Charles Wells' Co. Trails book, it has been a great help for an inexperienced off-roader such as myself. I would love the opportunity to go off-roading with guys like you who have more experience and could teach me a few things.

------------------
94 Limited
4" Trailmaster
33 x 10.50 BFG KO A/T

Like everyone else, assuming my schedule permits, I'm there! If conditions are "ripe" and you find the right places, the scenery during a Colorado autumn isn't easily forgotten. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Chris
98 Sport 4X4 SOHC
Big O Big Foot XTs
K&N Drop-In

Im definetly up for a Colorado run.
Gerald when are we gonna hit those trails near Dallas???
Let me know,
Rod
kwalkins@austin.rr.com

------------------
Sinjin
'97 Explorer Sport 4x4

Looks like we need to start thinking about a fall run! We've got plenty of time so I'll go ahead and order both of the books this week to start studying and dreaming.

In order to make it as easy as possible to schedule we need to take advantage of a holiday. All I can think of in that time span would be Columbus Day which falls on Monday Oct 9th this year. That sounds a little early to actually see the leaves change, but Thanksgiving would be way too late and most of us would have family commitments then. Does the Columbus Day weekend sound ok or too soon?

All you Littleton guys can certainly help with suggestions too concerning trails, etc.

Rod, I'm in the middle of fabricating a lift right now so I don't think I'll be wheeling for at least another month or so. If we scheduled a Dallas run sometime this summer do you think several of you guys from central Texas would be interested in coming up?

------------------
Gerald
Dead Link Removed

I'm up for a fall run as well. Columbus Day is not observed here in Colorado, so don't plan on that as a holiday. Also, it's my opinion that by Oct., the colors in the higher elevations are already past. Not to mention the more likely possability of snow. But, whatever the consensus is, I'll certainly plan on it.

------------------

I believe the fall color change in Colorado happens in September, not October. If I remember correctly, around Labor Day is a good time to watch for the fall colors.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Well, I'm surprized. Labor Day is always my dove hunting trip here in Texas and it's always near or over 100 degrees during the hunt. It's hard to believe Fall is already falling in Colorado by then.

I guess we could get an opinion concerning interest in a Labor Day trip.

If you are SERIOUSLY planning to take this trip, which weekend would be better? Labor Day or Columbus Day? I'm good either way. Labor Day sounds interesting. It'll be a lot cooler up there than out in a maize patch hunting dove in central Texas, that's for sure.

I also would like to hear from those currently living in Colorado when they think the best time to come would be.

Gerald

Lived in CO for 9 yrs now. The colors are usually changing 1st to 2nd week of Sept. in the higher elevations. Remember, Denver is at 5280ft. Most of the 4x4 trails are 8000ft up to 12500ft. By Sept., it has most assurdly snowed at these higher elevations already. Denver almost always gets one snow fall towards the end of Sept. Of course then it 70 the next day. Colors wise though, Labor day would be a better pick. Also, I've never wheeled with any of you folks before. Looks like the fall run has taken place a couple of times, so again, whatever the consensus, I'm in.
What do you think Matt Adams.

------------------

Last years run was Oct, 8-11 and the leaves had already fallen. Labor Day may be bit too early, but maybe it's right on.

Being from Phoenix I'm not familiar with four seasons, just two, Summer and Hell.

------------------
Rick Horwitz, AB7FH
Editor
rick@4x4central.com
www.explorer4x4.com
Ricks Explorer

earli, did you see Matt's post about the Saxon Mountain run this weekend? My sister, Matt, a couple others and I are all going. It's an easy/moderate trail; if you can free up the time, why not come along?

Regarding autumn in Colorado, I add my agreement about the high country colors changing around early to mid September. This can vary widely however, depending on where the trail is, the temperature, precipitation, etc. Best to just pick some dates then hope for the best. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Chris
98 Sport 4X4 SOHC
Big O Big Foot XTs
K&N Drop-In

well I'm in agreement that you can't ever say "well the falls are changing colors around mid september" or whatever because one year you will do a trail at one time and it'll show perfect colors, you can do that trail same time the next year and the leaves will have all fallen... its a crapshoot. even if we don't time it perfectly enough to see the trees changing colors I'm sure it'll still be gorgeous, it usually is!

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

OK. Labor Day. Let's do it.

It has also occurred to me that in early September I would still have a chance at camping out part of the time without freezing my hootus off. Dead Link Removed brrrrr......

Labor Day it is. It needs to be a three day weekend to give those who have to drive (like me) a chance at participating. Most of us could claim a personal or sick day or two before and after to give us time to get out there.

I'm gonna click on 4x4books through this site to give Rick a couple of pennies commission and order both books right now.

We need to find an area that will offer a variety of trails within driving distance. I'll be an "almost-but-not-quite-yet" BigDog by then and will not be particularly interested in doing 2.5 trails all the time. I DO want the chance to go explore the old mining ghost towns and stuff like that even if they are on the easier trails. But I want some fun stuff too. Perfect for me would be a highcountry mining ruins adventure on 3+ or 4 trails, if available.

If we get good participation on the trip we'll need to also be close to easier stuff too so everyone can have a blast. I don't know much about trails in CO, all I've heard about is that Bear Creek run or whatever it is called. But it looks technically easy: just d@$n dangerous and scary Dead Link Removed with narrow washed out loose shale road switchbacks over 1,000 drops. Not sure how much I want to try that.... even my "Alvin brain" is having to work that one over awhile to cogitate on it....

Hopefully Mr Well's two books will give us plenty to work with and plan on.

Let's Go! I'm Already Pumped.

------------------
Gerald
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 05-24-2000).]

Well, crap!
Rick, where's your 4x4now link? Did you lose it? I want to order the books through this site!
Gerald

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Gerald,
It's on the main page It's the button right under the message board button, Labeled "Explorer Bookstore". Dead Link Removed
Man you are working too many hours.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back