tire and wheel expert???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire and wheel expert????

i have 17 by 8 inch kmc hellions in a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern with 14mm backspacing. is there any way to make these fit on an escape?

i know the backspacing and the bolt patter are wrong, but i need to make this happen so i can buy new wheels for my truck. please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try to find some wheel spacers that adapt from one pattern to the other. I know they make them from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5. I think you can also have them made to your custom application. Good luck.

yeah, i know i can get the adapters made i think.

do you have any idea on the backspacing? is fwd more or less backspacing then rwd? does it matter that both of our vehicles are actually four wheel drive (well awd) etc. can the backspacing be made to work? or is adding an adaptor only going ot make it even worse?

That is something for you and the tape masure to decide once you measure it you should know if it is going to fit.

nevermind, we put them on and they fit perfectly. no rubbing and the wheels clear all the suspension parts. it even looks like it will fit with the 1.8 inch lowering springs that are soon to come.

Did you get any pics of that??

no, but i promise many pics in the future. its looking like my wheels will be going on there and i will be upgrading to 18 or 20 inch white "sport" wheels of some kind.

also, the escape is going to be lowered, and will have magnaflow exhaust and a small stereo install in the next few months, so look out.

and if you don't know already my truck is in the process of complete sound deadening before the addition of two 15s in a custom box with amp rack and new abc6003 audiobahn components in custom kick panels with black flame grilles

i'm thnking pics will be necessary for sure- hopefully you'll get to see some in a magazine... lol

well EE sells the 18x9 cobra rs with 24mm offset. so i think you should be ok, possibly a little rubbing because yoru lowered. why not give EE a call and see what they say

drew, the 18x9's will work on the front. they have the same backspacing as the 17x9 Cobra R's i had. you may have rubbing issues on the lower control arm. i dont really know, because looking at were mine rubbed... it appears that an 18 will not rub at all or rub alot less. it is only at full steering lock. there are several ways around this.

what about the huge rears? will that work?

i think i know the answer and how to get around the problem, but will i be able to run tires on both ends that will be of different sizes without damage? i'd like to keep both at 28 or 29 inches (and as long as they are within a couple percent of each other its cool, right?)

the big question remains... can i find something like this in a 20" size for a reasonable amount of money. those 18s are only 750 :D and i can find a little more if i can get a better looking set-up ya know?

btw james- i know and love my hand held grinder;)

you could run a 255/55/18 on front and a 285/50/18 on the rear. both are EXACTLY 29" tall. only issue i see is minor tire rubbage on the side of the inner fenderwell on the back. i "clearanced" mine with a 5lb. shop hammer. :D

i think this is going to turn out very well... lol.

how much do you all think my hellions are worth? i'm selling them to my brother here, probably but i want to find a fair price (and hopefully help myself pay for the new stuff) i'd also consider a good offer from a membrer here.

i dunno... what did they cost new?

when i purchased them they were 350 dollars a piece. i think you can purchase comperable ones for a good bit less now though.

The rear should not be a problem! There is more off set then my 20x9"s and I have lots of room to spare! I think those are going to look great!

nitto 404s are by far the cheapest tires in 255/55/18 (i found them for 122) and 285/50/18 (132 for those).

anybody used these? anybody know where i can get scorpion zeros for prices approaching those? the best i can find is 160 for the fronts, but that site doesn't carry the rears (which i know they make because i found them elsewhere for 220)

here's a tire builder's opinion...

go with the Nitto's. the Pirelli's are a d@mn good tire, but the Nitto is made better. i have said before that Nitto/Toyo are some of the highest quality street truck tires i have ever seen. now, in theory, i should be trying to sway you to stick with Pirelli, because my company is in bed with Pirelli. if you keep buying Pirelli's, it will help me out. if you want the best of the best, go with the Nitto's.

ive got Nitto 450's on mine, and obviously i love them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats interesting because discout tire sells the nitto 404 s for very cheap! i can save a lot of money by getting them instead of something esle. made me think they weren't as good

Back