5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one?

we have a '91 eb with the A4ld Auto, auto transfer cae and auto hubs. the hubs need replacing at over 160,000 but the trans didnt need it till about 130,000 and the new one works great, its a please to drive....

....but not as fun as my '93 sport 5-speed. i dont know if its the mitsu or the mazda. i bought it at 80,000 last summer and learned to drive a stick, then replaced the clutch at 90,000. i have auto transfer case and auto hubs (for now, will be converting to manual hubs soon).

i know 2 other people in our 6 sq mile city that have the same 5-speed with auto 4x4 setup that i do and they are both 94's. i got a great deal on mine though . it was going for 4700 but it only ran me 500+trade and everything worked except the parking break (and yes the air works too!) two weeks after i bought it, a buddy of mine bought one that was the same setup but a '94 with 130,000 and he paid 5000...and he didnt have the keyless entry/alarm like i do!

the only thing i would have changed from new (that was factory option, non-aftermarket) would be manual t-case (very very uncommon), manual hubs (warn makes a nice kit that i will be changing too) and better gears with a locking diff (already have plans for). so, basically all that i would change i can do aftermarket and i will do all but one eventually (i dont have the ambition to put a manual t-case in)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another 92 XLT 4-door here with a 5spd. Unfortuately, I have the pushbutton transfer case and automatic hubs though.

God I wish I had a 5spd behind my SOHC... I had to give up my 5 speed Acura Legend coupe to get my truck.. But I wanted her so bad, I could accept the auto tranny... But my left leg sure gets bored at times!

(I was driving around pretending to shift my water bottle sitting in my cup holder the other day.. my gf found it pretty funny..)

yeah, try actually shifting with a cup there! it makes the cupholders pretty useless except to hold change or a cell phone becauyse 2nd hits the left one and 4th and reverse hit the right one! i want one of those cupholders that goes around the base of the shifter like i have seen in some rangers..i might actually get use out of it!

Originally posted by udmsvt
yeah, try actually shifting with a cup there! it makes the cupholders pretty useless except to hold change or a cell phone becauyse 2nd hits the left one and 4th and reverse hit the right one! i want one of those cupholders that goes around the base of the shifter like i have seen in some rangers..i might actually get use out of it!

Cup holders? My Acura didn't even have cup holders.. You're living a life of luxury :D

not if they're useless. 91-92 had a lower, single cupholder which i may switch to. 93-94 has a dual right in the way, but useless. mny car before this was a 97 contour that had 2 that were easily accessable, but out of the way, and they folded down into the console to get them out of the way...i always had a can of diet coke in that thing..and it is the only thing i miss about an auto!

FSEATcup.JPG

my 97 sport with a 5spd has 2 cup holders inline with the shifter basically. the shifter didnt hit either of them untill i did the body lift now i can only use the rear cupholder. The short consoles i beleive are the same for all years so a cupholder like mine out of a 2nd gen should work in a 1st gen. My bronco II had the one cupholder and it was worthless. It didnt keep any drink from falling over and half the time the shifter would hit my drink.

I have a 91 XLT 5 speed (3.55 gears) that I ordered from new in 1990. I should have ordered the manual hubs and T-case, but thought the auto hubs would be easier to use. I have not yet have any problems with the hubs in over 220,000 Kms. I did have to rebuild the tranny seven years ago after those rubber plugs let all my ATF leak out. This happened at 100,000 Kms. That still ticks me off!!!

I also have a 2000 XLT with the auto transmission, and can tell you that my 91 gets about 40% better gas mileage, and can tow a trailer much better. I have towed a 5000 Lb. boat with my 91 and have had no problems; you just have to drive carefully. I could have bought a 99 XLS 5 speed for $11,000 CDN ($8000 US) and should have except my wife wanted the auto. I should have gone with my own judgement. The 99 also seemed to shift much smoother than what my 91 does. Although after 13 year of owning it, it is hard to remember when it was new.

Not the only one

I have one in my 94 4 door...and it's not for sale until it fall apart. It would be to hard to get another one.. and a brand new one is way to expensive:eek:

Now just how rare is an Eddie Bauer or Limited 4 door, 1st gen with a sticker? I wish my Limited had one :cool:

I think that 91 was the only year you could get an Eddie Bauer with a 5 speed. I almost bought one, but it would have cost $2400 more than my XLT, and the only option I would be getting extra was the premium sound system. I didn't think the beige paint trim was worth it. I would not think there would have been many sold.

Is there any way of getting sales figures from Ford?

limiteds (started in 93) were never offered in 2-dr or in a 5-speed, they were all 4dr auto.

i think i have seen a 93 eddie 2dr with a 5-speed, so i think they were avail for all of 1st gen, but i have yet to see a 2nd ge or newer 2dr eddie at all, let alone a 5-speed.

also, i think the only years you could get a man t-case or man hubs was 1st gen (91-94)

Someone say slushbox??

When I was looking at trucks to buy, I had an opportunity to get a black 95' sport with an auto trans, or a red 96' sport with a 5 -speed manual trans..

I have a cool lil' shiny red truck now, figured a manual trans would be more wise to buy than an auto, espesially since there were more than 100k on the truck(s). After reading these forums, I'm glad i went with the manual trans even more :)

Well after this thread has been revived yet again I still wonder just how many 91-94 Ex's on this board have the Man tranny and manual t-case?

My 94XL auto tranny, Manual t-case & Hubs
My 93Sport Manual tranny, Manual T-case & Hubs
My 91Sport Auto, Auto(swapped to manuals now)

I still don't know why you all like the 5 speed manuals. For offroading I will take my Auto over my Manual any day. It's easier to get around things when not having to clutch.

Plus I like the idea of being able to get a chip that will change shift points etc.

i think i have one of the only 95's with a mazda 5-spd and a bw1354 :D

Originally posted by Tat2dExploder
i think i have one of the only 95's with a mazda 5-spd and a bw1354 :D

probably..but did u ever get back 4hi?

lol yep, not a problem anymore... now i'm just waiting for the snow!! wishful thinking...

Originally posted by Tat2dExploder
lol yep, not a problem anymore... now i'm just waiting for the snow!! wishful thinking...

nice!

I had to order my 92 to get the manual trans. No sticks on the dealer lots. A salesman told my at the time (late 91) that only about 10% were being made with the manual trans.

Yes, an automatic is better off road, but i think the manual is better in snow, and its more fun, except in stop-n-go traffic!

Sadly, I don't think the manual is available at all, now. I don't think you can get a manual for the Escape, either, except in the 4x2 4 cyl.

What's the world coming to?

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you can still get the sport trac in it. But the Escape has been wiped out....wait just looked it up and I'll be damned, the XLS Value FWD comes with 5 speed only. How about that. But no more sport, and I think only early '02s had them, but I've never seen one.

Back