NEED HELP! explorer rear sub BLOWN.....? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP! explorer rear sub BLOWN.....?

Kial

Reaction score
I have a 91 ford explorer, 4 door, with the rear sub in the rear sub compartement. I have a few questions:

1.) I know I have blown the sub, cause I have taken it to the audio guys and hes like yep its blown. What size sub is it?
2.) If I buy that same size but in a brand which can take more wattage so my stock amp wont blow it, is that a good idea?
3.) How the hell do I take the subeclosure/sub grill off so I can see it and take the sub out.
4.) How hard is the rewiring, can I do it myself?

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you Dead Link Removed

-Kial-
zeke180@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IT's a measly 6.5 sub. The sad part being you'll probably end up having to buy a pair of 6.5s just to have one. Some people have replaced this with an 8" using the stock box. I don't remember off hand what the stock wattage is, but it's nothing big, so you don't really have to worry about blowing it. Just ensure that you buy a dedicated midbass driver that's supposed to be used in that fashion. Get one with more excursion, so you'll get a little, fuller bass.

The wiring is easy, after you take out the old speaker, juist rewire the positive and negative connections, just make sure you connected the correctly, Nothing bad will happen, but the bass will sound weird and you'll wonder why.

Do a search in the board, cause there's been plenty of discussion about replacing the stock sub.

Later!

Thanks for the help

Whats the weird sound after I wire it?
Is it hard to upgrade to a 8 inch sub
and what is a bass driver?
thanks again

-Kial-
zeke180@yahoo.com

6" Clear Polypropelyne Woofer Cone, 40 Oz. Magnet, Bumped & Vented Motor Structure, 200 Watts Max, Freq. Resp.: 60Hz-3.5kHz, Sensitivity: 93dB, 4 Ohms, Mounting Depth: 2-3/4"
Made by Pyramid
Whould this work, or are these cheap ass subs that would blow? thanks again

Kial

I bought some Pyramid stuff about 8 years ago and will never ever buy Pyramid again. It broke/blew/fell apart in about 2 months. Personally I think they are worse quality than stock (and that's pretty bad...)

Pacman

Which would be a good sub then to use with the stock amp? something that sounds better then the blown rattleing sound right now.
thank-x

-Kial-
zeke180@yahoo.com

Kial,

Try to get a sub with a better frequency response and power handling closer to that of the stock sub.

A sub rated at 200w is going to require more power to move. I don't know what the stock amp is at but I am sure it is much less and you could actually see a drop in performance.

Best regards.
hg

If anyone knows the name of the sub HANK is referring to, please let me know, thanks.

Kial Dead Link Removed

It's not really a "weird" sound, but the bass will sound very poor.

Hank's talking about subs in general. Some subs need more power because the cone is heavier or the surround around the cone is really tight. However, I think really what Hank is talking about are bigger subs. The 6 inch won't be heavy. I think you're looking for a 6.5" though, not just a 6. There are Rockford Fosgates, and CVs for your application that would be better, but more expensive than the Pyramids.

So a 6.5 rockford would sound better then my blwn sub b/c im not going to spend the $$ if it sounds bad or just a little better, I want to get it back 2 how it was stock just not blow, and since the rockfords are better then stock I thought they would sound a little better. thanks for the reply Jtang

Kial

i just replace my entire system, getting rid of all the components of the stock audio system. if you want a stock sub, i can sell you mine for like 10 bucks plus shipping.

Hey Kial,

Well, I've I guess at least then, just get a JBL to reach stock quality, although I have heard that our stock speakers were made by Audiovox. That might just be a bad rumor though. Yeah, don't spend a lot of money on replacing your sub. No matter what, a new sub can't sound way better, because it's so small. Just get what you feel works for you. Again, anything aftermarket will probably be better than stock.

J

Hello Kial

Sorry for the confusion of my general statement. Thanks J for clearing it up.

You will probably be ok with most 6.5 subs. If you want a cheep route to test with just buy a Pyle sub for either R-Vac Electronics on El Toro Rd. or his brother's shop Mar-Vac up in Costa Mesa. They used to stock a bunch of different manufactureres when I lived there.

They aren't the best subs in the world but the will be less expensive than the Rockfords and will sound better than the stocker.

I have a question about the rear sub. Does it have its own amplifier or does it just run off the head unit. If it has it's own amp what's the output on it?? Also look at Q-logic for a replacement Kial. They sell custom enclosures for the explorer they are a little more pricey but sound and look good. Also MTX sells an enclosure with a built in 100 watt amp. 100 watts isn't a whole lot when your talking subs but it won't be too much that all you hear is bass and no highs

Hey KIAL..,
hey man just so you know i just replaced my blown 6.5" sub as well , i looked all over and found Kicker to be the best. which was 75 bucks, i installed it myself it took like 10 minutes. you will need a size T-20 star bit screwdeiver. it is real easy to change out . at the top of the grill mesh you can put a flat tip screw driver in there between the plastic and the grilland pry down just a bit it will pop out , i learned this after i took the whole damn panel off. so dont let the radio shops tell you that the whole panel has to come off that is B.S. they told me it would be like 100 bucks to replace it i was like the hell with that . but it is easy man. there is a little spacer (black) i took it out when i put it in there but thats just me, i dont think it matters. the stock # is like F6.5 i think . well it sounds alot better than the stack one and it still runs off the stock amp. hope this helps!
LATER

and the 8" sub you will have to buy a new box and sub so thats alot of $$ GREEN and for me this is better with the Kicker sub. Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by my91explorer4x4 (edited 02-04-2000).]

i just bought the sub enclosure for my 92. are you sure an 8" won't fit in it?, because thats what i planed to do. doesn't MTX have an 8 or a 10 in their box, its the same size box? they also want 300 bucks for theirs, yea right. Matt

We don't (and did not in 1991) use any Audiovox speakers in Fords.

The factory subwoofer has it's own dedicated amplifier, attached to the outside of the subwoofer enclosure. It is rated at 85 Watts rms. The second amplifier in your '91 would be a parametrically equalized four channel amp, rated at 4X15 Watts rms, with a line-out feed for the SW amp.

The factory '91 Ford/JBL Audio System in your '91 is rated at 145 Watts rms for the total system.

Regards,

Jeff

HEY GUYS!

Hows it going, got good news about the subwoofer situation. Im getting a bandpass box with 2 12's Rockfords (the older ones he said they were 400watt max each), and Im just going to disconnect the old sub.

I need a sujestion on a amp to power the 2 12's. I sure as hell dont want to blow them, I want a amp that will power them though...I need help on which On, or what wattage or whatnot.

Also about the rear sub compartment, I was thinking. I think im going to hallow it out. Would it be hard to somehow some way put mirrors in there(the hallowed out compartment for the stock sub) and then put a couple blue neon lights in(some how hook them up to the trigger switches on the doors) and then slap a peice of plexglass over the whole compartment? I know it sounds like a far fetched Idea, But i think it would be cool, but how difficult would it be?

Just some weird thughts flying around in my mind. Thanks for all the help you guys.

-Kial-
zeke180@yahoo.com

I got a question if anyone knows. The rear sub enclosure, are the they different for the 2 door then they are for the 4 door? the reason i was asking this is because the one i picked up said 4 door on it and i didn''t want to get all my molding off and realize it didn't fit. Ihave a 92 sport and this one came out of a 91 4 door. any help would be great. Thanks, Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exrange-

I don't think there is a difference between the four door and the two door.

Did you buy the OEM box from Ford? IF you did, then I heard that it's possible to fit an 8 in there if you make the hole larger. You'd just have to make sure that your sub is not so deep that it won't sit in the box.

Jon

Back