• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid leak

lizardqing

Reaction score
City, State
Dahlonega,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
Need to see if I can get some input. I have a 91 that decided to leave a trail of tranny fluid from my driveway 8 miles to town the other day. There was a large puddle of fluid on the ground at the destination. When it would'nt go into gear and drive it was towed back here. The next day we topped off fluid and let it run trying to find the leak. No leak showed so we took it for a test drive since it now had gears. After getting it hot and driving some good hills, still no leak. I know thins may be a good thing but I don't want it to be something and my wife get stranded with the kids somewhere. I have not had it for to long and has been nothing but trouble since i bought it after a drunk hit me in my taurus sho. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for front tranny seal leak. Pretty common problem- bell housing bushing, crank spacer, seal replacement. If its not leaking all the time it may have just overheated. Keep an eye on the fluid level, and on the rear window- the tranny fluid spray will show up on the rear of the vehicle even if its not leaving puddles.

4-600 to repair at a shop.

It is possible that it could have overheated, it was driven a good bit that day and being a july day in georgia, heat was definatly a factor. Plus the back window is already getting coated from oil where the rear main has started leaking. Is it something that may be able to be driven more though. I don't exactly have the funds to take it to a shop right now, been out work for 3 months since the wreck has left me pretty much with nothing extra.

If the front seal has not recently

been replaced and there is not a whole lot of miles in a dirty enviroment. The front pump seal may not be your problem. First check to make sure the breather/ vent line is clear. The only way to check is to blow thru it. If the transmission has been overfilled it will cause foaming and discharge thru the front seal and vent line. The last possability is a slipping torque converter or band or clutch causing an over heat condition. But ounce again it should have discharged out the vent so be sure to check your vent tube.

thanks for the additional tips. i have a new filter that i'm goinng to put in anyway. were do i find the vent tube that would need to blown in. I am not real familar with automatics as I have always had manuals and the last time messing with a transmission was putting a clutch in my taurus. At the rate it is going with this one, I would like to get it where I might be able to trade it in with no major defects showing.

vent tube is on the driverside underneath look at the bell housing where it meets the transmission and you should see a 3/8 inch tube pointing down- its not connected to anything- thats the vent tube. It snakes up on top of the bell housing and transmission and the actual vent entrance to the tranny is on top center rear of tranny. If you pull the carpet back in the cab and unbolt the access panel you can see it easy.

thanks, i recall seeing that now. as soon as i can i will try that. i just took it out for about a 20 mile ride and it does not seem to have lost anything again. i am hopeing it was just a fluke or something but i know that does'nt happen.

I've got 200K on my original 92 A4LD. It's fine around town, but if I drive it up into the Sierra (Sea level to 7000 feet in 80 miles) my back window (good call SteveVB) shows signs of leakage. Do I have an idea what's wrong ? Yes, heat and leakage thru the overflow. My solution ? another A4LD in my garage awaiting rebuilt to go behind the rebuilt engine I need to do <g>. For you ? not likely to leave you stranded, just giving you fair warning, best as *I* can tell. Baby it and watch the fluid levels and you got miles left, BUT. Forewarned is fore armed. Catastrophic failure isn't likely in my view. But ask others on here, they are WAY smarter than me. (The guilty know who they are)

Happy, and safe, Exploring

Chris

My front seal leak lead to a burned up

torque converter. I drove it for many months always checking the fluid level but it finally caught up with me. And the fix is costing me about $700. Luckily the transmission was spared any damage!

If they only do the torque conv.

And a paper and rubber rebuild, I can promise you it will not last a year. Actually 6 months would be optimistic. Overdrive planetary is a must. And low reverse oneway should be replaced if it doesnt look absolutly new. And while they are at it a Transgo correction kit should be installed along with a complete cooling system flush. Expect no less and make sure they actually do it. Ask to see replaced parts.

Well it seems I have alot to look forward to. So far so good though still has not lost any fluid since that one time. If it can hold up till I get my insurance settlement ,which is the reason I wound up with it in the first place , I am either going to try to fix it or replace it.

Back