Power Steering Pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Pump

T

Thomas

I need detailed directions to change a power steering pump on a 1992 XLT. I have a 4.0L V-6 and the Trailer Towing package. If anyone can help, I have the part, but don't know how exactly to do it. I've also been told I need a special tool to take off my pump.

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 06-04-99).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, you should remove as much fluid as possible from the pump's reservoir - this will make for a cleaner garage. (Use a suction gun or equivalent.)
I was told that you need a special tool to remove the pump and there is no special tool to remove the belt. All you need is the correct ratchet size and the largest ratchet available. Then push the tenshioner nut (I believe) counterclockwise to relieve the tension. From my experience, a second person would be handy to remove the belt since much force is needed (both hands) to relieve the tension on the belt.
(Be careful with the pump - get a repair manual)

Thomas-You won't need a special tool to remove the belt although you will need to find someone that has a powersteering pulley puller for the Explorer's pulley. I tried everything I had to get the pulley off my old pump but couldn't. I ended up taking it to a local shop and the guy there charged me $10 to take it off and put it on the new pump, but stupid me left the new pump at home. The new pump came with a nut to reinstall the pulley to the new pump so it was okay, but it took awhile doing it by hand. It would have taken the guy at the shop a couple of minutes with the tool and airgun. So, find a shop that will do it for you and you won't have to buy the puller from Ford. Also remember to take the new pump with you so they can install it on the new pump. While you are doing the pump, I would recommemd changing the lines to the pump as well. It'll save you time from having to do it since you're down there already.

I just replaced my Power steering pump on my 92 explorer and I got the power steering pump pulley puller from Autozone. I used their loan a tool program.. You pay for the tool and get your money back when you bring it back. I did have to remove the pulley while the pump was still installed.. (the bolts that hold the pump in would not clear the pulley). Once i had the pulley off it was 4 bolts (I think 4) and it came right out. I replaced my hoses while I was down there.. It is easier to remove the hoses that are on the steering box by going through the wheel well. All in all it wasn't hard.. just messy. Next time I am going to drain it first..
Have fun.. and good luck..

Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures, and Movies

Rick,
I didn't really have to remove it.. but I did "bend" it.. actually.. I did loosen the bolts so it would "bend" more.. I needed to bend it enough so I wouldn't pinch my fingers between the socket and the shroud.

The hardest part was remoing the power steering lines. They are supposed to be around 20lbs and someone really cranked them down to around 50lbs... I had to use my cheater bar to break them free.. (hard to do with an open ended wrench)..

Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures, and Movies

Back