• Register Today It's free!

High RPM's???

JR

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I have a problem. I have a 91explorer and sometimes (not to often) when I drive it long distance around 40-50miles (usulay) when I am done with the drive I will be putting it in park. Upone engaing in the parking gear my engine will go from around 900/1000rpms to around 3000rpms. Has anybody heard of something like this happening? Could it be beacuse of the sudden heat? Also as I am driving on the freeway when I hit about 3000rpms my "ENGINE CHECK" light will come on when I let the rpms fall just a little the light then goes off. I think that this has something to do with problem.
Thanks JR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JR,
Almost everyone on this site has experienced the dreaded long trip CHECK ENGINE light syndrome.
Ford replaced my 'Mass Airflow Sensor' three times, insulted my intelligence, etc, etc. But failed to correct the problem.
The one thing that has worked fairly well is CAREFULLY cleaning the filament inside the sensor with carb/throttle body cleaner.
You will need to disconnect/connect the battery to cause the computer to re-adjust to the cleaner sensor.
I still occasionally get the light but not as frequent. Others have changed oxygen sensors, EGR valves and the search goes on...

Good luck,
Doug

The only time i had the check engine light come on was just before that air duct from the mass air flow sensor came off. vehicle could only idle after that.

2 cents

JR,
Are you using the cruise control when you experience the high rpm's? If you are, I've had the same thing happen to me. I read on another forum that the cruise control malfunctions and doesn't shut off. I don't know how to check it or fix it but this might be something you want to check out.

Don't know what other year models are involved; but if it IS the cruise control, that is currently a recall item on Explorers. I had mine replaced per recall notice at the dealership.

Thank you all very much for your responses. I will start checking on all of what was said. It very well could be my cruise control (it quit working bearly). Do you know what year there was a recall on the cruise control? I will also check the sensors and clean them. Once again thanks for your responces.
JR

Back