WOW...New 4+plugs and Splitfire Wires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW...New 4+plugs and Splitfire Wires

Doc,

4458 is the correct part number for the Bosch +4 Platinum plug for your motor. I just installed a set yesterday and just double checked the box they came in to verify the number.

The reason the threads are longer is because of the different construction of the +4's compared to conventional plugs. The overall length from electrode tip to plug seat is the same as conventional plugs. The +4's just look a little different.

I like the way mine perform so far. What has everyone been paying for the plugs? Mine cost me $5.99 each at Advance Auto Parts. I didn't shop them around.

==================
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dogman
I paid $5.99 each for the 4+ plugs from Autozone. Spltfire wires were $57 including shipping from Sears Automotive Catalog. Dead Link Removed

------------------

shawna l.

Dogman-$5.99 sounds about right. I paid a little over six for mine. I figure it cost a little more to get it out here from up there.

SPLITFIRE MFR. REBATE

SPLITFIRE is offering a $10.00 manufacturer's rebate on their splitfire wires ,which expires on Dec 12 2000. I purchased my wires last week and sent for the rebate. To get your rebate you must send the UPC code from the wire set plus a copy of your receipt to the following address:
SPLITFIRE REBATE
P.O. BOX 7777-M225
Dept. 15
Mt Prospect IL 60056-7777
THE REBATE REQUEST MUST BE POSTMARKED WITHIN 21 days OF YOUR PURCHASE.

------------------
92 Explorer EB 2.5 RANCHO lift kit 9000's shocks K&N filter OUTLAND front & rear Guards SPLITFIRE WIRES BOSCH +4 plugs,...& more to come

Thanks mflores
That just paid me back for the shipping cost.......Thanks Again!! Dead Link Removed

------------------

shawna l.

I would like to upgrade my plugs and wires with the parts you all have been talking about. Let me get this straight: Bosch 4+ Platinums and Splitfire double core wires? I take it the plugs are also easier to come by than the wires... Any idea what part number's I would need for my engine (check the profile)? What type of engine in what year vehicles do you all have?
How hard are the wires to install? Could I, with litte engine experience, install them or should I get some real help?
The plugs are simple right, lift of the wire, unscrew the old ones, screw in the new ones, wire goes back on? (Yes I know that was a dumb question.. but I thought I'd just ask...)

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist in the works

Sorry, lately I've been a little illiterate. I found your vehicle and engine info.
What's the best place to order the wires from?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4

Sorry, lately I've been suffering from a mild case of illiteracy. I found your vehicle and engine info.
What's the best place to order the wires from?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4

Does anyone know what the part # for the wires should be for a '97 with the OHV engine?

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Juan,
Here is a link to find out which wires or plugs are required for your vehicle. Just go to it and click on the specific year and everything for your model. Dead Link Removed

BTW, I ordered the wires for mine on Wednesday (16th) from Pep Boys. They said they would be here today (18th). Called them and they have not come in yet...that is the way my luck goes. Mine uses WS6612 and the price was $47.99 from them but I also had to pay $7.50 additional for shipping and then tax so I have $60 in mine. From what I understand, they give you a 30 day money back guarantee with the wires, so don't send in for your rebate until you are sure you want to keep them. If you do, you will not have the receipt to send them back.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit :(

Mflores,
Where did you find anything about a rebate from them? I just checked their website and it said they currently do not have a rebate program going on.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit :(

Ira
I purchased my SPLITFIRE wires from a current JCWHITNEY catalog. There is a description of the rebate from the manufacturer for $10.00 which will run until Dec 2000. I also have a JC catalog which describes of a $20.00 manufacturer rebate which expired on dec/1999. I wished I have been interested on these wires before, since is manufacture rebate, not a JCWHITNEY rebate, the manufacture must honor the rebate no matter where the product was purchased as long as rebate requierements are met.

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
H/T 8.5x15 Centerline wheels
31x10.5 BRIDGESTONES A/T DUELERS
K&N filter
OUTLAND front & rear guards
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
SPLITFIRE ignition wires & BOSCH PLATINUM +4 plugs
,...& more to come

Ira
I just visited the SPLITFIRE web page, it describes of an upcoming rebate on the plugs and the wires on spring 2000. JCWHITNEY describes of the rebate of $1.00 for each Splitfire spark plug (16 maximun) and $10.00 for their wires, which is really what SPLITFIRE is also announcing, but the rebate really started on Dec/1999.

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
K&N filter
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
,...& more to come

Mflores,
Sorry, but I am not calling you a liar or anything like that, but I just could not locate any information about it. I was thinking I saw something on their website about this page not being updated since 11/99 so maybe that is why I cannot find anything. Is this the same link you were talking about? Dead Link Removed
I will try to get my rebate done also. Did you get a form from JC Whitney that you have to fill out and send in to get the rebate?

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

I finally bought my Bosch Platinum +4 plugs Dead Link Removed I'm not sure if I notice a difference yet or if it is just me Dead Link Removed wanting to feel the improvement. I will definately check my gas mileage though... I want to thank everyone who have given tips on installing them... It only took me about 45 mins which isn't bad. I guess my next move will be the Splitfire wires... Has any tried the Ford Motor Sport 9.0 mm wires? If so let me know. Any way, thanks for the tips and advice on the plugs. I really enjoy this web site. Later...

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8
K&N Airfilter-Modified Airbox with homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
More to Come Before Summer :)

Ira
Sorry it took all this time for a reply to your comment, I wrote to SPLITFIRE about why the rebate was not made to the general public and only through J.C.WHITTNEY .I just received my rebate from Splitfire along with a letter, it read like this: "JC WHITNEY is offered a rebate because they run a year long catalog and it is only valid with a purchase from J.C. Whitney."
"We do have a rebate that is offered to the general public that is starting 4/1/00. The rebate amounts are always changing an as a fyi we will be offering a special $15.00 rebate starting 4/1/00."
Better late than never, right?, IRA

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
K&N filter
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
,...& more to come

Just my luck. I sent my UPC code and receipt in last week to the rebate addy you gave me. It took me over a week to get them. Pep Boys lost my order and had to re-order. When they did, they did it next day air but said it was probably too late to get them out for next day delivery so I should have them in 2 days (which is what I was told in the first place). Well, to make a long story short, I called back 2 days later because I had not heard anything back on them and they said they came in the day before. I asked why they didn't call to let me know (I felt like a kid who was not allowed to open a present until Christmas) and she said she tried but it said my phone had been disconnected (which it had not been). Since I gave her 2 different phone numbers, I asked why she did not call the other number and she told me she had lost the note she had written the number down on. When I left the store after picking them up, I looked on the bag they were shipped in and it had both numbers written on it and was shipped that way. It is amazing she got my name off the bag but could not see the 2 numbers.

When I opened the box, I found a notice about a rebate much like what you had mentioned. The only problem was that in the week it took me to remember to send it off, I lost the little form so I sent it to the addy you gave me. Hopefully, it will work out. I like the wires anyway.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

How can you tell when you've run out of invisible ink?

I have to send back my Split Fire plug wires. Performance products sent me the wrong one. I can't wait to insatll them. Currently I have the Bosch 4+ with the stock plug wires Dead Link Removed

------------------
1997 XLT, V6 SOHC
NY State of Mind

I just installed my splitfire plugs tonight. Had a little trouble with the distributor side of the wire. I'm figuring the parts house I bought them at gave me the wrong set. I got part #WS8945, I'm figuring this set is for the 8 cylinder explorers. My only problem was having to swap connectors from the OEM wires to the Split Fires. I would have taken them back but (1) I bought them in another state and (2) with the amount of wire I have left over I could make another complete set. I'd say two sets of split fires for $70 bucks is worth the hassle of swapping ends. I also happen to buy the bosch +4's. Hey, if anyone could give me some info on changing differential, trans, and transfer case fluids it would be much appreciated. I have a clue and both the Haynes and Chiltons books but I'm just asking if anyone has some easier ways. Thanx in advanced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed my splitfire plugs tonight. Had a little trouble with the distributor side of the wire. I'm figuring the parts house I bought them at gave me the wrong set. I got part #WS8945, I'm figuring this set is for the 8 cylinder explorers. My only problem was having to swap connectors from the OEM wires to the Split Fires. I would have taken them back but (1) I bought them in another state and (2) with the amount of wire I have left over I could make another complete set. I'd say two sets of split fires for $70 bucks is worth the hassle of swapping ends. I also happen to buy the bosch +4's. Hey, if anyone could give me some info on changing differential, trans, and transfer case fluids it would be much appreciated. I have a clue and both the Haynes and Chiltons books but I'm just asking if anyone has some easier ways. Thanx in advanced.

Back