How does one know a power steering pump is bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does one know a power steering pump is bad?

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I've got a few questions about the power steering pump, you'll have to forgive me as I'm not entirely knowledgable on the subject.
1) Does the power steering pump just go out suddenly or can it be deteriorating slowly before finally going out?
2) Other then the obvious lack of power steering, what other symptoms are associated with a failing/failed power steering pump?

For a while now my steering has been acting goofy - everything seems to be normal/tight. i even flushed/filled with new power steering fluid and bled out what air was in there. No help. I was having a bad vibration that still exists to a certain point and when rocking the steering wheel back and forth a few degrees the power steering makes a whining noise, much louder then I remembered hearing it when I bought the vehicle. I have been told by a few people that a power steering pump will not work as good for a while then finally fail, whereas a few other people have said that it will work perfectly then just stop working. Any help would be greatly appreciated Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mattadams,
I'm not a pro on this but I did just change my P/S pump and I can tell what the differences are after I changed it.
1. When coming out of a turn the wheels returned much better.
2. The noise level went down considerably!

I've never heard of a pump to just stop working. Usually it will just get more and more noisy and it will get more difficult to turn the vehicle when stopped,(which isn't advisable).

Hope this helps,
FMNavajo

FMN,
How hard was it to replace, and how much did you pay for it?

Tony 91 Sport

AJ91Sport,
It wasn't that difficult to change, the new pump came with the screw to put the old pulley on the new pump but I had to rent a puller to get the old one off, (I own one now). The pump I got at Kragen for $59.99 with a $37.00 core charge and I changed it in about 2 hours taking my time. No special tools are required except for the puller.

Good luck,
FMNavajo

you can usually either borrow , rent or have the auto parts store you bought the pump from remove the pulley and place it on the new pump.

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop in filter, Modified air box.
3" lift 31x10.50's
Dunlop R/V's.
Sway bar quick disconects disc.http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/91fordexplorer/index.html

Actually on mine I had to take the old pulley off and put the new pulley on while it was in the engine. The bracket that holds the pump and AC compressor isn't big enough to allow the pulley to pass through.

Tip - After you get the pulley started on the new pump, put the drive belt back on and this will hold the pulley still while you crank it down on the shaft.
MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED WHILE YOU DO THIS.
Your engine could turn over and you could lose some body parts.

FMNavajo

ok well I've ordered my AGR Power Steering pump - I should be putting it in next weekend. I'll let everyone know if it fixes the problems (I may also readjust the steering gearbox as was recommended by another list member)

Matt

------------------
Matt Adams

Matt
What model or part number of AGR power steering pump did you order? I phoned AGR and FAXed them - but have been unsuccessful in getting information on what pump to order. And I was not able to find this information on their web site. Let us know how that installation goes. By the way, my power steering pump functions but has a whining noise which I am sort of used to - but my friends complain about it!!! Thanks
MikeP, 91 XLT 4x4

Not sure on the part number, Im thinking it was D8080 or something similar to that? I'll let you know when the part arrives though, I spoke with one of the salespeople who said they don't actually list it for an explorer but there was another model (could've been for a bronco II) that was exactly the same. I'll let you know...

------------------
Matt Adams

OK got the AGR unit in last night with the help of David Meisner (thanks Dave) Dead Link Removed. It is part number 8020HD. Installation was fairly straight forward though pully removal and installation was tedious. instead of removing the A/C compressor, etc. we removed the pully while the power steering pump was still in the engine compartment, so we avoided the problem of removing the bracketry of the A/C compressor etc. but it added the complication of having to remove the pulley using the pulley puller and wrenches, which meant about 30-45 minutes removal/30 minutes installation. As for steering, it finally feels like I have Power Steering again! I don't have to force the wheel around corners, and it is much smoother and MUCH quieter. I still have some play in the steering but I think I will have my alignment shop adjust the steering gearbox (after reading the horror stories I don't think it's something I can safely attempt on my own) and we'll see how much of that is taken care of. Just as a side note for people having problems or whatever - power steering pumps DO go out gradually, NOT all of a sudden, loud whining from power steering pump while turning IS bad, and certainly, not all power steering pumps are similar. I need to blead the power steering fluid some more once I get home but so far I'm quite impressed.

------------------
Matt Adams

Forewarned is forearmed: Ford has a history of building crappy/noisy PS pumps... noisy is pretty much the way they come from the factory.

One symptom that I've had when losing power steering is that the steering wheel sticks
while turning or returning. It only sticks for a split second, but it's kind of scarry.

Randy

I've never heard of a pump to just stop working. Usually it will just get more and more noisy and it will get more difficult to turn the vehicle when stopped,(which isn't advisable).

I realize this is an old thread, but I felt I would contribute. I was driving to the store today to get a Khaladi Brothers coffee for my girlfriend up here in Anchorage. Was about to pull into a parking spot and I heard the sound of breaking glass, noticed that I did not have power steering anymore. Went and parked, popped the hood, found that the power steering fluid had blasted itself against my hood and was everywhere, didn't work anymore, and now I am in the process of replacing it.

Nothing else seems to be broken, kind of annoyed by the situation though.

holy smokes, an 11-year old thread, congrats on even finding it! LOL

power steering

how do you know when a power steering pump is out?

how do you know when youre power steering pump is out?

When you do not have power steering. When it is tough to turn the wheel in either direction but gets easier when you are going faster.

Need 2 know

My 2000 Ford explorer sport AWD the PS pullye have little play back and front 1/16" .it's that normal????

Back