Idler pullies? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idler pullies?

red450ih

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My '91 Exp with a 4.0 is in need of both idler and tensenor pullies. Can I remove the pully from the tensenor and replace it with a idler pully? What are my options? The dealer says I need to replace both tensenor and pully together. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the tensior and pullies are that expensive. I replaced the idler pully when had a 94 mazda pick up and I think the pully was less than 40 bucks. It is easy to replace too.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
Manik Pushbar & Tailight Gaurds
More to Come Before Summer :)

You shouldn't need to replace the tensioner. I have replaced several idler pullies on various makes and have never seen a tensioner that needed replacement. The only time I have replaced a tensioner is when the pulley is not available seperatly.

The pully doesn't cost that much, but the tensior cost about $70. I thought I would put a pully on the tensior and avoid the cost of the tensior. Thanks

I guess what I am asking is, does the pully come off of the tensioner on these trucks? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks

on my 91, both pullies are identical. I could read the part number on the bearing itself. Used a 30 mm socket to press out the old bearing. Replaced with SKF 6203 2RSJEM from an industrial supply vendor. 15 minutes work and less than $5.00 altogether.

Wife's Ex is making a god awefull squeel and I suspect either the idler or tensioner pullies, so I just ordered them through FordPartsOnline.com.

Idler Pulley = $18.69
Tensioner = $38.18

Back