couplle quick questions on gears a lockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

couplle quick questions on gears a lockers

ExplorerX91

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
putting on 35s or 36s after done with lift, this is on the stock d38 a f8.8.... i wanted to put 4:56's in but i know there are 4:88s but i heard there is no such gears for the d35 is this true and also since this explorer is going to be my Daily Driver but if im installing new gears might as well throw in a locker, ive reasearched and from what i can tell for this being my daily driver and only moderate offroader...im not balls to the wall i should go with the powertrax no slip in the rear, ive heard its almost invisible about 95 percent of the time on road..easy install, and works wonderfuly, my question was i know that the only ones you can turn off and on are the ARBs so how does this still work just part time when it needs it, will i also need to go around corners really really slow or what. any info with guys expierenced with lockers help me out here, should i go with the powertrax or something else, by the way i dont want to spend a fortuane on one i want a cheaper one but not a piece of **** that id be wasting my time on any comments would be wonderful thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just my opinnion :)

I guess I'll post since knowone else has. I would go with the 4.56's since you are going to be on the street most of the time. I run 4.10's with 33's and it is perfect for the street. The locker is another issue all together :) I have had both full detroit lockers and ARB lockers. I would say for your case to go with the full detroit locker not the powertrax or lockright. I would also stay away from any other locker that just replaces your side gears ie: aussie locker, tru-trac,.... I love the ARB's and will never go back to anything else. The powertrax you are thinking about is only about a 100.00 dollars less than a full carrier detroit and is about 100 times more likely to have mechanical failuer. powertrax so-slip about 500, full detroit about 600, ARB about 650 + air compressor 200. In the end it comes down to how good of parts you want in your rig and what you can afford, but you can almost count on detroit being the most bullet proof locker available. Oh and the new detroit is pretty quiet too. I hope you get some use out of all that :)

Clint

anybody else have opinions i know lot of u expierenced guys know

I went with a powertrax no slip. It served about 2-3 years behind a 4.0 w/3.73s. Now I have it behind a 5.0 with 4.56. I tow and beat it pretty hard with no problems. I'm running 33s.

If I had 35s I'd go with 4.88.

i would to but reasearched some more and turns out theres no way i can do 4.88s unless new axle which is what im not doing so guess im going with the 4:56s still need more on my situaton with the lockers anybody elseS?

Back