HELP - Scorpion Zero VS. Proxes S/T VS. Ecsta STX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - Scorpion Zero VS. Proxes S/T VS. Ecsta STX

Stomper

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4.0L SOHC
Yeeeea, I know maybe this should have gone into the Tires & Wheels section, but I'd like input from all the speedmongers that may not frequent that section.

I decided to get out of the 'plus size' arena. I'm running a set of stocker's with Winter Dueler tires right now and have my old set of 16" Aluminum stockers looking for a new set of summer tires.

Basically my choices for 16 inchers:

255-65-16 and 275-60-16

and that narrows the brand/model search:

Pirelli Scorpion Zero's in 275-60-16
Toyo Proxes S/T in 275-60-16
Kumho Ecsta STX in 255-65-16

WHICH ONES? I've had the Pirelli's before and they were great, just a little noisy and didn't wear that good. Any comparisons and any other suggestions are very welcome.....THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Toyo makes a really, really good sport truck tire. better than the Pirelli's IMHO. i have no idea about the Kumho's.

I had my Toyo Proxes S/T on for the first time this past summer, all I can say is Damn! I love them. Great traction (wet and dry), quiet, they seem to wear prety slow, very smooth ride, and they look good. I can't say anything about your other choices since I've never had them. Good luck deciding and I hope this helps.

I got the Proxis because they were in stock the day I wanted them. I was really tempted by the Kumho but am very happy with the Toyos.

Hey Guys thanks for all the input!!!

I think the Proxes are the way to go, but I'm still hoping to get some feedback from guys who've tried the Kumho's and put some miles on 'em.

Take care! -Jim

I've heard good things about Kumho but as far as performance goes, I would probably go with the Proxes because of the price. I used to have a set in 255/55/18 and they were pretty good. I have Pirelli PZeros now and I love them but they were $$$.

Back