• Register Today It's free!

dual exhaust?

FordXplorerGrl

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I have been reading through the other posts on here about different exhaust system, mufflers, and pipes but there is one question I have yet to find an answer to. I know that there are two pipes running into the muffler of my 97 explorer now my question is is it possible to run 2 pipes out of a muffler at the stock location or am I going to have to run them out each side? now if i run them out of each side am I going to have to remove anything thing such as the spare tire? Does anyone have dual exhaust on their 95-97 explorer? if so does it sound good and how do you have the pipes positioned? I was thinking about going with a flowmaster 40 series with dual pipes but i don't know how that would sound. also what are the advantages to changing your muffler besides added horsepower? does it affect gas milage at all? okay well I hope someone can help me. I am looking to upgrade my muffler with in the next month. Thanks!
Kristen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not familiar with the 95 and up set ups... but on my 94 the spare tire would have to be removed in order to run the pipe to the other side... of course.. if you have AAA, go ahead and lose the tire.. just extra wieght (assuming your a street explorer). As for power, I didnt notice much of a diffrence until I got a high flow cat. The series 40 muffler is pretty loud... I wouldnt really reccomend them for street driving or as a primary ride becuase of the added noise. A series 50 with the delta flow (or whatever) sounds quite nice.. it sounds more powerful.. but in a mellow way. Plus the cabin noise isnt too bad. I think the series 40 is also available in the delta flow.. but I dont know how much louder it would be than the 50 series delta. Also.. with your question of 2 pipes going to the same side.. if 2 are coming in.. I dont see why 2 couldnt come out. I have one pipe coming out of my muffler but then it has a Y splitter with a tip... but I dont see why you couldnt just run 2 pipes all the way. Although all this is off a '94 explorer.... should be pretty close though...

Anyways... if you can.. get some high flow cats and slightly larger pipes at the same time. Costs less if you do it all at once.. and makes getting the muffler worth it.

Nick

Oh.. forgot.. as in other advantages... assuming you get a HP increase you can expect a milage increase as well.. assuming you dont have a lead foot. Other than that.. I cant really think of anything significant.. except a pretty cool sound... I can hear my series 50 start up outside (via remote start) and I gives a nice VVVVVRRRRRRROOOOOMMRRWWWAH!!!!! that can be heard quite clearly. :)

Nick

duals

I have dual exhaust on my 91 sport it looks real cool but i have a dynomax muffler that has a single inlet and a duel outlet i really dont like the sound of the dynomax muffler it sounds better than stock but i would like to change it to a two chamber flowmaster with duals i also had to take out my spare tire

Ive been wanting to see what the duels look like on an explorer coming from both sides... have a pic? I always thought it would look funny having two side exhausts on each side... hmm..

Nick

Okay I am still confused!!! someone please help me :). does it work on 95-97 trucks?? I really want to do this but I am nervous. I'd like to talk to someone who has the same set up as me about their personal expeierence about it.
Thanks-
Kristen

If you have two pipe coming into the muffler there should be no problem running two pipes out to the SAME side. Otherwise the spare will have to be removed.

Nick

I guess I could have shortened that first post of mine down to two sentences. :)

Nick

Hey flyguy, david meisner, has the dual setup coming out of the sides. His explorer is on the featured list, not sure of the number.

Thanks. Ill check it out now...

Nick

It looks pretty cool... Dont know about how the pipe was ran though... Maybe Ill do that sometime with the duels... but when I get a bit more power maybe.

Nick

okay okay....

okay now that I know that it should be possible to have an exhaust with 2 pipes out of the muffler in the stock location. does anyone know what kind of muffler i could use? i want to use a flowmaster 40 series. does anyone know if it sounds better with 2 pipes coming out than with one?? i am sorry i keep asking questions about it but i just want some advice before i go buying this exhaust. I was thinking about calling summit and asking them but i don't know if i should trust them there or not.

thanks for your time!
Kristen

Well if you have two pipes coming in to the muffler and then have two coming out (compared to one coming out) It will sound better. As far as mufflers go.. stick with flowmaster. We have 3 of em at our house and we love em! Although I really do recommend the 50 series over the 40.. Unless your positive you want more sound. The flowmasters on the vette give people headaches after riding in it too long. :) But the explorer is a much better shielded car... Anyways... If you can find some info on the flowmasters, they list how loud thier mufflers are compared to OEM mufflers (inside noise and outside noise)... so it will give you a good idea.

Nick

97 Sport

Check Cameron's rig since I know for sure that he's got a dual exhaust on his 97 and the sound is great. Been there, seen that. The only problem is I don't know where you can find him. He's around here somewhere. His stuff was custom made at the muffler shop, you know, the kind that would do what you tell them to do.

I would get it for sure.

Later,

I just got done talking to summit and they said that flowmaster doesn't make a muffler for my truck in the 40 or 50 series. The only one that they make is the 70 series. I really don't like my truck right now because it has 2 2in inlet and a 2.25 in out. so a universal one won't work. so now i am looking at borla i guess right now i am quoted at 409 dollars. I really wanted a flowmaster because it is cheaper but i guess i'll have to keep looking. anyway i am still looking for someone that has put an exhaust on a 97 explorer and has dealt with this 2 pipe in deal.
thanks
Kristen

Do they not make a muffler for your truck or they dont make a cat-back system? I thought most mufflers were a universal fit..

Kristen,
Is yours the V8?
If so, check with Magnaflow (http://www.magnaflow.com/)
They had a direct bolt in muffler, Part number 15421, but I had to run a single 3" tailpipe... Muffler was $147.00 with shipping and $65.00 for the 3" tailpipe at a local exhaust shop.
No room for duals... Gas tank on the drivers side, and no room over the rear axle for 2 pipes on the pass. side. A single 3" flows better than dual 2 1/4" pipes anyway.

If you take your truck to a good muffler shop they can do just about anything. I think flowmasters have ports they can cut open to make them duels. Give em a call!

Nick

imposible?

There is no such thing as impossible. When you take it to the "friendly" mufler shop just tell them what you want and it should be no problem as long as you have enough dough to cover it. Believe me. Gas tank, rear end, no problem, ask Cameron. That's the way he did it with his 97 Sport. He's got two tailpipes coming out the back. Impossible???

Not really,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In some of the above replys, i have noticed that some of the messages indicated that the spare tire must be removed to fit pipes or that it is impossible to run two pipes out the left and right sides of the bumper so you have to run the two pipes out the same side...well thats not true, i have a '99 sport with dual's out either side of the rear bumper...spare tire is also still there....im in the process of gettin some pics taken of it so i can post them up here to show everyone that it can be done...even though it is a very tight fit...

Back