want a lift, folks say no, will it tip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want a lift, folks say no, will it tip?

jayhawk137

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hey guys i want to lift my X, i was thinking a simple warrior shackles and coil spacers. however, my parents dont think its a good idea for the chances of flipping. obviously the chances are increased cause the center of gravity is raised higher and all the physics stuff but will it really tip? the reason being when im at college, my mom uses my truck. so what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you are an absolute physco drver that takes 80 mph turns you should have no problem, even in stock form it would tip if you did that. One way to compensate for the lift tho maybe, would run some bigger/wider tires. Hope this helps.....

Just get some 31's when you need new tires... that will give you I think around 1.5' of lift I think... it's what I plan to do so I don't get griped at.

I have a total of 7" of lift (4 Susp. and 3 Body) and 33x12 tires. I think the vehicle is more stable now then when it was at factory hieght. Could be the use of wider tires.

Originally posted by Carl D.
I have a total of 7" of lift (4 Susp. and 3 Body) and 33x12 tires. I think the vehicle is more stable now then when it was at factory hieght. Could be the use of wider tires.

i have a 2" budget boost and a 2" body lift. I am definately not more stable than stock. I can tell the height difference and even more so can friends of mine when I take exit ramps.

BUT... the 2" budget boost didn't affect handling all tooo much. Just don't be stupid when you drive

lifting it will make it a little bit more unstable, but as long as you have everything in proportion when you lift (wider wheels or tires or both, and shocks), you should have the same ride as stock if not better, but in general just be smart when you drive

I think it was Rick or Robb who said something along the lines of this: "Nothing will ever be as stable as stock height, no matter what you do."

lol well if "the masters" said that then totally disregard wut i said, but u can sure as heck get it close

I thought mine was more stable when I lifted. I also went wider, upgraded the shocks and swaybars, and know how to drive.

wider tires and wheels, along with a better suspension makes all the difference in the world. I agree, if you take a exit ramp at 80 mph in a X you'll roll it. But for normal driving the wider tires, wheels and suspension make a much safer vehicle.

If you're worried about it...

a 2" body lift will have less effect on handling than a 2" budget boost lift

If you do it yourself, a body lift is nice and cheap

Originally posted by jayhawk137
Hey guys i want to lift my X, i was thinking a simple warrior shackles and coil spacers. however, my parents dont think its a good idea for the chances of flipping. obviously the chances are increased cause the center of gravity is raised higher and all the physics stuff but will it really tip? the reason being when im at college, my mom uses my truck. so what do you guys think?

Why bother while you're at school? Esp. if you don't even have it with you at school to use, that means 9 months out of the year it'd be useless to have the lift. That just means potential problems and more costly gas for your mom. Don't bother...

very good point, the only thing is i will probably take it up to school with me either next year or definitly the year after. of course i can just wait, but im itching to do some real mods... haha

I drive like a Friggin moron, 6 inches lift & 33's.Never rolled yet.

Originally posted by bipolarbob
I drive like a Friggin moron, 6 inches lift & 33's.Never rolled yet.

Now I don't know about that, According to my friend I got 3 wheels up in the air at stock height :D

Originally posted by Foo
Now I don't know about that, According to my friend I got 3 wheels up in the air at stock height :D

I didn't say I never had it on two wheels!:eek: :D

he said he had it on one wheel. How did you do that? I drive fast and agressive (ask PAexplorer) and never had a problem of any kind. Of course I will have to slow down some with my superlift when I finaly put it ojn.

Originally posted by TheRookie
he said he had it on one wheel. How did you do that? I drive fast and agressive (ask PAexplorer) and never had a problem of any kind. Of course I will have to slow down some with my superlift when I finaly put it ojn.

I honestly have no idea.... but it came down hard :D

I wouldn't of thought I only had it on one wheel if my friend sitting in the taco bell parking lot didn't notice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a stock 92 and the suspension is beginning to wear out or completely worn out then adding a lift and repairing the worn suspension parts, then lifting, upgrading the suspension and making it wider will not increase the roll over potential.

I agree with Alec. Mine feel more stable after lifting. I have a 5.5-inch suspension lift and 33x12.5 tires. The center of gravity was raised approximately 8-inches but it was widened 6-inches. The suspension lift has increased performance, meaning more travel. The additional suspension travel allows for more body roll before tires come off the ground.

Back