Driver's side mirror | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's side mirror

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Had to replace my driver's side rear view mirror (got cracked). Bought an after-market mirror, put it on and it vibrated annoyingly as I drove down the interstate...sort of an oscillating vibration. I called Ford dealer and parts guy said this was a common problem with replacement mirror and Ford no longer sold the mirror alone, but the whole assembly. So I took the AMkt mirror back and bought the OEM mirror assembly.

Guess what? Same problem. I've even gone back in and retightened the mounting bolts, reseated the assembly....no help. Pax side is fine, and funny thing is that the pax side mirror (just the mirror) actually seems a little loose in its mount.

Any suggestions? Thanks. r.s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did the old one crack ?

The reason why I am asking is I have seen countless occasions where a customer has hit their mirror on what ever and the door part where the mirror mounts gets tweaked a little bit. Pull the mirror off and give that area a look see if the mirrow was ever hit.

Hope that helps.

I had the same thing happen. My wife was backing the Ex into the garage and tapped the driver's side mirror just enough to break the reflective surface off. Looking at it, I realized I had to replace the entire assembly and picked up one online. I have the same vibration issue as you do.

At this point, I'm considering picking up a used one from the junkyard. There should be one in good condition somewhere.

My son was backing up and snagged a post. I couldn't see any damage other than the cracked mirror. Everything lined up just fine when I put the new one on. Always possible that there's just enough damage to the mounting surface to cause a problem.

Yeah, it doesn't take much.
Like I said, pull the mirror off and look.
Nine times out of ten the majority of the metal is pulled out.
All you need is a flat faced hammer. Give it a few love taps till the whole surface is flat.

Back